What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Guns blazing in 2004

River

Juniors
I am jealous of you Townsville residents for being able to watch the Guns go around this year. It should truly be worth getting to the games early to watch them run around this year if their potential is extracted.

Just looking at the various positions we seem to have some talented young players this year and are looking stronger than ever before. So long as the club is not ravaged by injuries it should be a great year in both grades. But concentrating on the Guns for a minute here are some players by position:

Fullback: Sorbs did a pretty good job last year and handled his first grade debut fairly well until he dropped that ball ingoal, resulting in a linedrop, which resulted in a try which resulted in a loss....but he can only be blamed for 1 drop, Ra dropped the ball from the kick-off which resulted in no possession for 12 minutes and 2 Melb tries and 45 tackles to 0. (but I digress!). He should be better for the run last year and looks lively with ball in hand.

Wingers: Brenton and Sweeney are probably the starting 2 (depending on Jensen) both played FG and did well, both dangerous in attack and can finish. I rate Sweeney for his cover defence and Brenton is pretty handy defensively for his size. He did get caught and smashed over the sideline by Sargent in that same game after being put away by a Ty Williams linebreak....but they are on the same side now.

Centres: Solomona is highly rated by the FGers and obviously by the club. Had an up and down year last season but he was only just coming back from serious injury and is young. I expect him to start most games this year and after another off-season should be one of the leading try-scorers in the Guns.

Va-asa joins him as his likely centre partner (though Morgan and Jensen are other options and Miles could be pushed out of the top 17 initially - though he IS one of our best 17). By all reports this kid has size and pace and can find the try-line. Last season we had Cross who was more a defensive centre like Bear, this season I am expecting more fireworks from our centre pair. Lead his team in tryscoring in the Bartercard cup and went on tour with the young Kiwis rep side to England.

Halves: Payne and Meigan got better as the season progressed and will be far more dynamic this season. Murray said both were close to FG by the end of the season and Payne got a chance and excelled as the PJ Marsh style replacement hooker. Sheppard, Fien, Payne and Meigan will all be fighting for the starting half spot and MAYBE a bench spot this year, Shepp surely has first crack but trials are fair-dinkum and anything could happen. Expect Meigan to explode onto the scene to rival them all if he has come back fighting fit and Billy keeps him that way. I suspect he could make a very crafty hooker.

Front Row: For the first time in the Guns history we should have (barring injury) some genuine size upfront. I suspect the starting Front Row will be Tronc and Southern but anything could happen and if Ra, Lowe and Sarg are the top 3 for the Cowbs then McDonald will be pushed down and Strickers is another contender.
Tronc is surely the biggest cowboy in our 10 years, Elite sports (his managers) credit him as being 193cm and 120 kgs. Now assuming Billy cuts a bit off him he will still be bigger than Ra. Of course size means stuff all unless you use it and consistently back it up and we will have to see about that. In his favour the 22 YO had a great season with Redcliffe and polled 3rd best in the Qld Cup, so is no polooka.

Southern comes with strong credentials also and almost went all the way with St George's Reserve grade behind some big names (NSW origin players). I think both these players should have JLowe working hard over the off-season because they are going to be trying to take his spot by mid-season.
Limpus and Scott will be back much more prepared for QRL footy this season and hopefully a little bigger and stronger. They should benefit from having a couple of bigger and more experienced young forward ahead of them and thrive without so much pressure. I would not be surprised to see Scott packing down in the 2nd row and doing well again. I rate this kid.

Hooker: Goodhew: seems to be the heir apparent. Tough little hooker/half who regularly makes rep sides. Been on the fringe for a couple of season now, this season looks to be his big chance.
Faiumi: Doyle type player who can cover as many positions. Parr mentioned he might be groomed as a FG hooker, training starts now! Has talent, one of the Comets best last season.

Backrow: Again some talented young blokes fighting for spots.

Lillyman: got a few runs in the top team and didn't shame anyone. Despite being overawed in attack he tackled his guts out and showed enough to suggest a big future when he has some more size, strength and footwork. Expect a big season in the Guns and a few more runs in the top grade late in the season when he will be more equiped to show us his talent.

Dalle Cort: Joins us highly rated. A bit of a Muckert character who was a centre and became a solid backrower. If he can play as consistently wholeheartedly as Muck then we will be very happy. First though he has to recover from shoulder surgery as well as overcome some sinus/asma issues. St George supporters were angry to lose him, hopefully that is a very good indication of his ability.

After this you have players like:
Laity: big unit, surely on last chance, we have waited 3 years.
B.Lowe: looking to consistently make the Guns 17
Amos: highly thought of by Norths faithful, on injury comeback
Watkins: Needs to wake up and smell the coffee. Talented kid who could be anything if he put the effort in. Would think he might be in same boat as Laity if he doesn't shape up this season (and it wont be the Maggie ferry!).
Smith: used a couple of times late, young player who probably won't be seen again till after mid-season.

Lock:
Jensen is a big chance to start out of position here (in the guns only), given lack of strong candidates. Try scoring machine looking to get back into first grade (and surely will at some stage). Has some handling question marks but when on song he can cut up a side ala Bowen or Sing.

Faiuma: as mentioned above. If Goodhew gets first crack at hooker then Faiuma will be a big chance for the lock spot.

Watkins: see above.

Thats enough gibber, but as you can see that is a pretty exciting young team. If you look at it against say Redcliffe who always do well (I have included a possible Reddy side for reference below), the Guns are probably just a couple of experienced heads (like Dezzy) short of a sensational side. Lets hope youth and enthusiasm triumph!

River

Possible Redcliffe 2004 side for comparison:
1. Justin McKay
2. Phil Shilvock
3. Damien Richters
4. Brian Jellick
5. Trent Leis
6. Shane Perry
7. Michael Roberts (c)
8. Troy Lindsay
9. Matt Anderton
10. Adam Starr
11. Ben Jones
12. Danny Burke
13. Grant Flugge

14. Daniel Green
15. Andrew Wynyard
16. Nathan Sologinkin
17. Brendan Currie

The Whippet

Juniors
Rod Jensen will make our starting line-up with out a doubt. He is a great winger who scored 31 tries in Canberra's Premier League team. He has played 45 first grade games and is one of our top 25 players and won't play lock.

He'll be on the wing without a doubt and will probally make is debut with the Cowboys NRL side in Round 1 because Matty Bowen is suspended. So I think Ty Williams will go to fullback and Jensen will replace Ty Williams on the wing.

River

Juniors
I am not SO sure. You have to remember that assuming Hannay, Bowman and Norton are fit, David Myles will be sitting around on his arse outside the 17 for game one. Mylesy is Mr Utility and I have no doubt could handle the Fullback slot so Jensen is no sure thing.

Coincidentely I just watched a replay of Canberra losing to North Qld Rd 19 2002, a game featuring Jensen, Sing, Williams & Mango. If I was to rank them on that game (tough sure) but Jensen would have come a clear 4th.

Bottom line is this, David Myles IS one of the best 17 footballers at the club and has the FG form on the board - so they are going to have to squeeze him in somewhere. Perhaps Jensen will carve up the trials and cement the spot however I think it is far from settled. He will play FG this year for sure (and I agree it will be as a genuine back), but how much will depend on his form, what the side needs and how well others such as Brenton and Sorbs are going.

Very handy bloke to have though, he can step off both feet and is an electric runner with some size and experience. His finishing is as good as anyone. I hear he is working hard in the off-season so he is giving himself every opportunity to excel in the trials and nab a spot.

Mylesy and Jensen might be battling it out for a spot on the bench eventually, but then Fien and Payne would also consider themselves chances for that spot. Bring on the trials!.

River

Kasper

Bench
Couldn't agree more river.
The genral consensus from raiders fans and from what i have seen of jensen is that he go's great guns in premier league but as never been able to handle the step up into the NRL.

Harko

Juniors
KINGLING said:
Couldn't agree more river.
The genral consensus from raiders fans and from what i have seen of jensen is that he go's great guns in premier league but as never been able to handle the step up into the NRL.

We'll just see about that :)

Kasper

Bench
Don't get me wrong, i thouroughly hope he can keep that premier league form and step it up into the NRL. Potentially he could be a very good buy.

nqboy

First Grade
If he has the size and can handle the forwards, Rocket could make a very handy 3rd sub, leaving the last position to Fein or Payne. His workrate would have to be right up there, and we would need two big units filling the other two bench spots. If so, his versatility would give us a lot of options.

Where this leaves Myles, I've no idea. Like other posters, I have high regard for his efforts last year. Less ability than some but more smarts and more effort make for a better all-round package.

nqboy

First Grade
A typically thorough and well thought out assessment. Me? I'm just totally excited about watching the guns this year, have been since the signings were announced. For the first time, we'll have genuine depth with players scrapping for game time, may the best men win.

Brenton is pretty handy defensively for his size???????? As brilliant and scintillating as his attack is, his defence is awful, even allowing for his slight frame.

Centres: Va'asa is unproven at the moment and may have trouble coping with the extra workload initially. I really rate Morgan and am hoping that this can be his break-out year. Myles and Jensen also come into contention here, ain't it great to have such competition for places?

Halves: Payne has a lot more to do to make it at half. He seems to drift in and out of games instead of running the team from go to whoa and his switch to hooker may become permanent. Meigan looks handy but still needs to improve further, I'm not at all sure he would make it at hooker. Fein is in the mix as well and I actually think Goodhew is too small at hooker but his twinkle-toes may be suited at half. And let's not froget Myles. Time will tell.

Front Row: "For the first time in the Guns history we should have (barring injury) some genuine size upfront." HEAR, HEAR! Your reasoning is sound but I think there will be four props in FG, J-Mac or Strickers will be required for the main game. Limpus and Scott WILL benefit from having a couple of bigger and more experienced young forward ahead of them and thrive without so much pressure. Good to have them as back-ups instead of our main men.

Hooker: As I mentioned elsewhere, I think Goodhew may be a better half. Payne or Fein may slide in here and Faiumu might be a chance as a hard-working type.

Backrow:
Lillyman: hope he's grown a bit.
Dalle Cort: Keen to see this lad, questions about his attitude need to be addressed.
Laity: "big unit, surely on last chance, we have waited 3 years." Agreed.
Blo and Amos: both young, there's enough around them for them to make their way without unnecessary pressure.
Watkins: Needs to work harder, but yes, he's got some talent.
Smith: know nothing about him.

Lock:
Jensen, Watkins or Faiumu.

Can't wait.

Latest posts