What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Guru jr-Union?

scottyeel

Bench
Eric was just on ch.7 news and said that he is still very much considering a switch to union and has seeked further talks with them and is waiting for an offer. He says he would love to play for the wallabies.:x

El Diablo

Post Whore
saw the same thing on 10

don't offer him a contract. let him play fun and games with someone else.

scottyeel

Bench
I agree El Diablo.
We never get into bidding wars for any players so why pay overs for someone who is injured half the time anyway.

strider

Post Whore
if he goes so be it ... but i have a feeling he wouldn't be that great at union

PIG

Juniors
scottyeel said:
I agree El Diablo.
We never get into bidding wars for any players so why pay overs for someone who is injured half the time anyway.

I agree too. Why pay overs when you can go with:

1. Burt aka machine
2. Hayne
3. Smith
4. Lowrie
5. Reddy
6. Finch
7. Tim Smith

dazeely

First Grade
if they want to hold the eels to ransome f**k em I say. Don't need players who prefer to play games with your head rather than on the field.

scottyeel

Bench
PIG said:
I agree too. Why pay overs when you can go with:

1. Burt aka machine
2. Hayne
3. Smith
4. Lowrie
5. Reddy
6. Finch
7. Tim Smith
:roll:
Or better still, why not go out and buy a winger who actually wants to play league and isn,t injured most of the time.

manny05

Juniors
Now Grothe wants to go

March 21, 2007 12:00

THE rugby league world may be in for another shock defection with Parramatta winger Eric Grothe today claiming he was keen on joining Eels teammate Timana Tahu in rugby union next year.

Tahu signed a four-year deal with the ARU and NSW Waratahs last night, and talks are now underway to lure Grothe across to the 15-man game as well.

Grothe, off contract at the end of the season, said the prospect of playing rugby union was "definitely enticing", the 27-year-old former Test winger having already met with Wallabies coach John Connolly.

"I've met John Connolly once and had a coffee with him ... they seemed very keen and positive. The whole thing went really well," Grothe said today.

"It wasn't very specific. It was more of a meet and greet kind of thing.

"There's been interest from some other (NRL) clubs and the ARU and I just want to hurry up and finalise it all.

"It's definitely enticing (the idea of playing rugby union), it's a bit of a rap for them to be interested in you, it shows that they see something in you that maybe other places don't. It's a buzz."

On the possible signing of Grothe, Connolly said; "I think he'd go very well as winger."

The loss of Grothe would be a third straight coup for rugby union over rugby league, Tahu's defection coming just a week after dual international Lote Tuqiri turned down an offer to come back to the NRL with South Sydney.

The Grothe name is synonymous with rugby league, his father Eric senior having played eight Tests for Australia in the early 1980s.

Grothe's manager Andrew Purcell said he had already held discussions with the Waratahs, but both he and Grothe said staying in NSW was not imperative.

"We're still awaiting a formal offer from the ARU," Purcell said.

"We've only spoken with NSW at the moment, but as of today we've had interest from other provinces.

"I think everyone but maybe the (Western) Force have opportunities to strengthen the outside backs."

Purcell said he hoped to follow up on interest from the other provinces when he returned from a business trip.

Grothe, who played his one and only Test in 2005, said he wanted to have his future sorted out by the end of the month.

He hopes to return to the paddock for next weekend's clash with Wests Tigers, having missed Parramatta's season-opening loss to the New Zealand Warriors because of an ankle injury.

"I'd also love to stay at Parra, but I just want to make sure. It may be one of my last contracts so I've got to make it a good one," he said.

"It's different now to when I was 19, I've got a mortgage and all that stuff.

"I'm just going to make sure I do it right.

"I'd like to wrap it up as soon as possible, I don't want to carry on with it, a bit like Timana, I'd just like to get it done and forget about it and concentrate on what's ahead which is Parra for the rest of the year.

"I'm open to speak to anyone. I've spoken to a few people and things are looking good."

The Eels have tabled an offer but have not put a deadline on negotiations.

Source - http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,21422407-5001023,00.html

Kornstar

Coach
Another player i wouldn't really care about losing, i have not liked his attitude for the last 18 months, he has made it clear it is about money and also he is injured too much, Tahu is injured more but Grothe's back aint worth paying him too much money, he pulls out of matches because of the back injury and sometimes they are matches where we needed his kick returns!!!

COACH STERLING

Juniors
Eric Grothe to Union, and what are our senior administrators doing about it?

How come clubs like the knights, saints, dogs have all had the nrl step in and assist their markee players. if I was Dennis Fitzerald, I would be on the phone right now with Mr Gallop telling him that our club is in CRISIS. To have 2 rep player ripped from under your nose by the ARU within 48 hrs is not good enough.

This competition is supposed to be about beeing on an even keel. What's done for one team should be done for all. DF, get of your fat arse and do something about it. I seriously doubt any other CEO would have allowed this to happen!!

An extra 100K to keep an Icon like Grothe in the game is like a drop in the ocean for the NRL. I will wait and see wait eventuates, but i'm starting to loose respect for this code and its administrators.

COACH STERLING

Juniors
Kornstar said:
Another player i wouldn't really care about losing, i have not liked his attitude for the last 18 months, he has made it clear it is about money and also he is injured too much, Tahu is injured more but Grothe's back aint worth paying him too much money, he pulls out of matches because of the back injury and sometimes they are matches where we needed his kick returns!!!

kornstar, Eric Grothe has been on very small money through out his career. With limited time in the game, he is entitled to ask for more money. If you believed you could earn more money at another workplace, would you ask your boss for a pay increase?

Latest posts