What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gus Gould

DJDL

Bench
Sure knows his stuff.

There was an episode of 100% Footy at the start of the season where they were all nominating their top 8, or who they thought was a serious premiership threat, and Gus didn't mention the Sharks.

Gal called him out on it and asked why he didn't rate them. Gus' response? "They've got no forwards".

I thought that was a little disrespectful at the time, but oh how accurate a summation it has turned out to be.

Seriously, our guys are powder puffs at the moment. They get steamrolled every weekend. Surrendering 60 metres plus every set means you spend the entire match coming off your line. It's galling to be perfectly honest. I've lost count over recent weeks of the number of times we finally catch a break, get some repeat sets or a penalty and get down the other end, only to be coming off our line 6 tackles later.

It's hard for anyone to show their attacking prowess under those circumstances.

Fifita's knee and Wade's drop in form / concussion issues have cruelled us.

One thing from last night which sticks in my mind was somewhere around the 30 minute mark one of the Raiders was playing the ball on their 40 metre line. He played the ball, the ball gets passed one off the ruck and, as the guy in possession made his way toward half way, the camera panned to an over head. Where was the defensive line? About 3 metres inside our half.

Which begs two questions:

1: How big was the 10 metres?
2: Why were our guys not moving up to meet the attack?

I was gobsmacked.

Griffoshark66

First Grade
I've been crook and watched it in and out of sleep, but I noticed the flat footed approach. They barely moved of their line and some of the first contact is just awful. I hope Fitzy has a magic wand because some of these fellas are nowhere near what we need.

snout

First Grade
Sure knows his stuff.

There was an episode of 100% Footy at the start of the season where they were all nominating their top 8, or who they thought was a serious premiership threat, and Gus didn't mention the Sharks.

Gal called him out on it and asked why he didn't rate them. Gus' response? "They've got no forwards".

I thought that was a little disrespectful at the time, but oh how accurate a summation it has turned out to be.

Seriously, our guys are powder puffs at the moment. They get steamrolled every weekend. Surrendering 60 metres plus every set means you spend the entire match coming off your line. It's galling to be perfectly honest. I've lost count over recent weeks of the number of times we finally catch a break, get some repeat sets or a penalty and get down the other end, only to be coming off our line 6 tackles later.

One thing from last night which sticks in my mind was somewhere around the 30 minute mark one of the Raiders was playing the ball on their 40 metre line. He played the ball, the ball gets passed one off the ruck and, as the guy in possession made his way toward half way, the camera panned to an over head. Where was the defensive line? About 3 metres inside our half.

I was gobsmacked.
Gobsmacked is the word D.
Its been me all year. I mention this every week.

Why dont we get off our line??
Why dont we want to meet and win the advantage line??
We stand the 10 metres back and wait for them and they have all tbe momentum - and yep even the most ordinary teams go 80 evrey set. This causes a multitude of problems. We get pummelled. They get confidence. We are starting every set on our line.
Unfarkinbeluevable.

Its a tactic and lm gobsmacked as to why. On our kick chase last night if we got the guy in his own 10 - on the next tackle we rushed up as if intending to hold them there - but from tackle 2 on resorted to waiting back the 10 metres.
f**king bizarre. Seriously. If someone could explain how this is competing in anyway shape or form in the NRL l would appreciate it.

Hannay is worse than a bloke you could grab from the back bar of the local boozer. He has less than no idea.

shadowboxer

First Grade
Weak comp hides how ordinary we are.
My normal reaction post game loss, is like most, disappointment let alone kicking stones. Strangely this season, the stats don’t lie - leaving myself particularly neutral. The defensive effort last night was abysmal - even in the first 20 minutes they looked shot.
Can’t blame the ref for the 60 odd missed tackles. Attitude stinks..
New coach has plenty of work ahead of him.

Craigshark

First Grade
Second phase absolutely kills us and for some reason we must be one of the worst teams in the comp at locking the ball up. Our first contact is dreadful.

bluefox68

Staff member
Gobsmacked is the word D.
Its been me all year. I mention this every week.

Why dont we get off our line??
Why dont we want to meet and win the advantage line??
We stand the 10 metres back and wait for them and they have all tbe momentum - and yep even the most ordinary teams go 80 evrey set. This causes a multitude of problems. We get pummelled. They get confidence. We are starting every set on our line.
Unfarkinbeluevable.

Its a tactic and lm gobsmacked as to why. On our kick chase last night if we got the guy in his own 10 - on the next tackle we rushed up as if intending to hold them there - but from tackle 2 on resorted to waiting back the 10 metres.
f**king bizarre. Seriously. If someone could explain how this is competing in anyway shape or form in the NRL l would appreciate it.

Hannay is worse than a bloke you could grab from the back bar of the local boozer. He has less than no idea.
When I first started coaching my eldest son in Under-6s, the gun team at the time (Yeah, I know, Under-6s / Gun team…)…

BUT….

EVERY SINGLE TIME they lined up against us in defence - they all yelled “UP!!!” And charged forward. It was a bit overwhelming for our boys!

BUT - we soon caught on and started doing it ourselves…

Get the point?

Under 6’s - moving up in defence..,

f**k Gould.

He knocked back our approach for him.

He then took up the Warriors job.

He then took up the Bulldogs job.

Dot the i’s and cross the t’s.

Last edited:

Generalzod

Immortal
Sure knows his stuff.

I was gobsmacked.

It's true weve got no fowards...

bluefox68

Staff member
Something to post on the locker room wall:

GUS SAYS WE CAN’T BEAT THE PANTHERS!!!

He reckons only 2 teams can beat the Panthers this year - Parra and Storm..

Good motivation to prove him wrong!

Ozzi_78

First Grade

Storm can’t beat anyone with their injuries. Parrramatta just have the mental edge on Penrith. I hope we win, I hate all the other possibles.

Weaponhead

Coach

He said Parra and Roosters as an outside chance.

I decided to watch the Ch 9 coverage of our game on Saturday night,
a side effect of covid?? Maybe.
Anyway, Gus was at his passive/aggressive best in regards to our players and club.
Absolutely praising the young players coming through, especially Dykes and Trindal, saying how he's been watching them since they were young coming through the grades etc. Really positive.
Then he slips in that they should be playing first grade all the time and not be held back so they can learn the game.
A classic "what I could do for you" comment.
He missed out on signing Dykes, lets see if he goes for Tricky next.

shadowboxer

First Grade
There has been less bluster at the dogs now Barrett got rissoled. Gus is bloody Teflon - just go and sign anyone or maybe just throw a pile of poo at the wall and see what sticks.
Agree on Saturday night coverage, it was all about “the dragons are right in this” talk, it’s almost up there when the wrestling from the 1980s

Latest posts