What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gus V Bennett

Gus or Wayne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
So both are starting from scratch. Gus says, he has 5 players and Bennett knows he starts from the beginning with maybe 5 big names.

Who will do better?

This is a fair question, own your choice.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Bennett will do better ultimately. I've seen nothing from Gould that tells me he does what he does for any reason other than ego and he has an established, rabid fanbase already present that is desperate to be placated right now after years of rot and won't relent on the pressure. The Dolphins have a clean slate to build on and zero expectations for at least the first few years.

Chimp

Juniors
Bennet probably gets the upper hand short term, and then leaves the Dolphins in a hole when he leaves.
Gus will build a long term plan, slower burn, and he’ll probably move on before the job is finished, but the underbelly and infrastructure of the club will be a lot healthier for the long term.
So, despite Bennett scoring a knockdown in the early rounds, Gus eventually wins the battle on points.

Wb1234

Referee
Tough one I’m going with Gus. Bennett is more of a man manager whereas Gus is good on actual tactics as well

gus has two well paying jobs so he has no need for the week to week pressure of being an nrl coach

and I think the dolphins are crazy wanting to replace bennett after his contract ends. That’s the same mistake south’s and the dragons did

they have both fallen apart since he left when they could’ve dominated for years more with him as head coach

Danish

Referee
I assume this to mean in their prime, not toda

gus actually built squads and tactical ploys in his time at the dogs, panthers, then easts. Bennett just essentially had the maroons squad for the first half of his career. I reckon you could pick a dozen coaches who’d have had the same success as he did at Brisbane.

Bennett’s best period as an actual coach was his first few years at the dragons. If you look at that 2010 side there is not a star amongst them. But they were about the most cohesive team of the NRL era and just dominated sides. Just ignore his last couple years there and the state he left them in….

if we are talking modern day though then it’s Bennett all the way, largely because he is still actually doing it whole Gus hasn’t officially coaches a team this century.

Munky

Coach
I assume this to mean in their prime, not toda

gus actually built squads and tactical ploys in his time at the dogs, panthers, then easts. Bennett just essentially had the maroons squad for the first half of his career. I reckon you could pick a dozen coaches who’d have had the same success as he did at Brisbane.

Bennett’s best period as an actual coach was his first few years at the dragons. If you look at that 2010 side there is not a star amongst them. But they were about the most cohesive team of the NRL era and just dominated sides. Just ignore his last couple years there and the state he left them in….

if we are talking modern day though then it’s Bennett all the way, largely because he is still actually doing it whole Gus hasn’t officially coaches a team this century.

Bennett only did three years at the Dragons.

Two x minor premiership, a premiership in 2010.

His last couple of years would include 2010.

2011 his final year the team made it to the second week of the finals and lost to a Lockyer field goal. It was Lockyer's final NRL match since he broke his cheek on Gerard Beale's knee a few minutes earlier. Also had on of the grubbiest acts I've seen on a football field with Hodges going full impact into an injured Brett Morris lying on the ground.

Bennett's time at the Knights on the other hand...

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
That said feel free to critic thier entire careers by all means. But the question is for now.

Bulldogs have 5 players, Wanye about the same, who will go better next year? Who will be more successful at thier club for the years to come?

Fangs

Coach
Difficult comparison as one hasn't coached 'officially' for 20+ years.

Both appear as though they still have the golden touch. Both old school. Both senile? Who knows.

I'll go Gus because he isn't a dirty queenslander.

some11

Referee
Bennett should be able to build a competetive team early on minus the disastrous effects of him leaving and having players follow him elsewhere.

Plus, you know, he actually coaches.

Danish

Referee
Bennett only did three years at the Dragons.

Two x minor premiership, a premiership in 2010.

His last couple of years would include 2010.

2011 his final year the team made it to the second week of the finals and lost to a Lockyer field goal. It was Lockyer's final NRL match since he broke his cheek on Gerard Beale's knee a few minutes earlier. Also had on of the grubbiest acts I've seen on a football field with Hodges going full impact into an injured Brett Morris lying on the ground.

Bennett's time at the Knights on the other hand...

I thought he was still there in 2012, my mistake.

I guess he dropped a bomb on the place after he left then nabbing half the side for the knights. Although he somehow managed to weaken BOTH the knights and dragons with his poachings

Danish

Referee
No it is today.

Both are starting with nothing, who will go better, easy question, hard answer.

from today, I’ll go with Bennett then. I feel like the dolphins will be more successful than the bulldogs next season, although I think they’ll both be seen as objective failures starting from today onwards

10$ Ferret

Staff member
Not a fan of either. Bennett although would do better by a country mile. Simply because Bennett has bothered to put his hand up and coach in the last 10 years. Any Club he did work with will suffer afterwards as history shows.
Gould on the other hand is as relevant as tits on a bull. He just wanders around talking crap. Hasn't had to do anything in years except blow his own trumpet.

soc123_au

Staff member
Apart from his first stint at Penrith, Gus leaves teams in a far better state than they were when he arrived. Wayne not so much. The disaster of Penrith 1992 and beyond had nothing to do with Gus though, just a very unfortunate time for all involved.