What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gws

Iso

Juniors
I have a burning question after reading posts for the last few months.

Why do people hate the GWS AFL team so much?

I'm not talking about hating AFL in general. I can understand that people don't like watching it and find it boring, but why actively protest against it being established with 'we don't want GWS in Western Sydney' or 'Stay out'. It’s not as if NRL will be weaken with it being there.

Sure if you don't like AFL, don't go and watch it. However, for the employment and extra cash it will pump in to the area, I can't see why people wouldn’t tolerate it.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I would suggest its moreso the arrogance of Sheedy and Co.

I think they will fail big time, unlike the Gold Coast.

clarency

Juniors
*edit, unsubstantiated*

The administrators ARE taking active measures to try and weaken the NRL via recruiting NRL players (whether this works is up for debate).

No, this doesn't really have anything to do with the actual sport. I have no problem with the people playing aussie rules at all. It's the administration of the AFL I have a problem with.

Last edited by a moderator:

Slackboy72

Coach
I would suggest its moreso the arrogance of Sheedy and Co.

I think they will fail big time, unlike the Gold Coast.

Both are going to be massive white elephants for AFL. They will only work if AFL gets at least a 20% increase in their next broadcasting deal (i.e. ~$900m) to fund propping up the two franchises.
If you consider that:
- last time round AFL was the only winter sport that Seven and Ten could bid for;
- the figure was widely seen as overs; and
- Kerry Stokes has already indicated a preference to have NRL;
then that figure ($900m) is highly doubtful.

As to the OP, people will always be afraid of what they can't understand.

Latest posts