What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hagan to consider not coaching SOO next year

MC DUI

Juniors
Hagan Maroons shock
By Michael Crutcher and Dean Ritchie
July 15, 2004

QUEENSLAND could be forced to blood another State of Origin coach next season if Michael Hagan's Newcastle Knights do not arrest their NRL slump.

Hagan ... Newcastle his first priority.

Hagan has admitted his chances of returning as Maroons coach hinge on the Knights burrowing back into finals contention, starting with Sunday's home clash with the Broncos.

While guiding the Maroons for the first time this year, Newcastle lost five of its six matches and dropped out of the top eight.

Hagan will assess his Origin and club workloads later this year before deciding whether to take on the Queensland job again.

"I have to be invited back (by the QRL) first but Newcastle is my first priority from a coaching point of view," Hagan said. "The club has been very good to me and I want to return that. I owe them a fair bit to at least discuss the situation.

"It's important that we finish the year off well because that will have a bearing on that (Queensland) decision."

Knights chairman Michael Hill has given early support to Hagan continuing as Queensland coach but admitted the club would review his roles later this year.

The QRL would be forced into a scramble if Hagan did not return.

The only other Queensland NRL coaches – Wayne Bennett and John Lang – have expressed their reluctance to take on the job, leaving the door open for another contender.

QRL managing director Ross Livermore will speak with Bennett, the league's director of coaching, later this year before meeting with Hagan.

"There is no doubt he would be invited to coach again but he has to have the time to do it and his club have to let him," Livermore said. "Michael's told me he will have a look at it after the season.

"We're very mindful of the demands on coaches who have club and Origin commitments.

"NSW have been lucky because Phil Gould has been free of that in the last few years. They've got (Sydney Roosters coach) Ricky Stuart next year, so that will be different."

Hagan has cleared his head since Queensland lost the deciding Origin match in Sydney eight days ago, taking time out during the Knights' bye last weekend.

"I'm feeling pretty good and hoping I can come out the other side," he said. "We've got five of our last eight games at home, so we have the opportunity to turn things around."

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,10142604-23214,00.html

Good to see that Hagan can recognise the fact that the team has missed him during the SOO period.

~bedsy~

First Grade
It's not his fault though.
We always have a slump during Origin, whether his there or not. It's great that he conciders Newcastle his top priority, however I would like him to continue coaching the enemy.
We should look at a different assistant coach I think.

Johns-All-Day

Juniors
You should hear all the Queenslanders up here whingeing and complaining (i.e. doing what they do best). "Oh we're gonna lose Hagan because the Knights won't let him coach us anymore! How dare they!" It's funny because I could swear that it was Hages himself saying he wants to put the Knights first.

Kaz

junior
Losing Hagan is fine with me. :lol:

Coaches one series & some Knights fans are complaining he should put the Knights 1st.

Johns-All-Day said:
You should hear all the Queenslanders up here whingeing and complaining (i.e. doing what they do best). "Oh we're gonna lose Hagan because the Knights won't let him coach us anymore! How dare they!" It's funny because I could swear that it was Hages himself saying he wants to put the Knights first.

Quite a few Broncos fans didn't want him as the coach. :eek:

NightofKnights

Juniors
I hope that Hages does forgoe coaching QLD next year, I'd like to see him take it back up once his stint at the Knights is finished, whenever that ends up being. The Knights need him big time.

keeney

First Grade
HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAhAHAHAHA nmy fingers, theya re like lead heheheheheehheeheheheheheh

Hmm... He is just making excuses for our form slump.. He could of said no last year when he was assistant coach as he was away the same amount of time.. We will naturally lose games during origin, we do every year, it is the weeks after origin where you get a good idea of where you are at, and it would be hard to tell this year with all our injuries..

He wont quit origin footy.

socksie

Juniors
i think its great that hages is putting club footy ahead of rep footy but i would like to see him continue with origin. he did a pretty good job this year and the QLDers could've easily won both games 1 and 2 and thus the series. with gus gould and freddy's rep days coming to an end i think the maroons might have a better chance nxt yr but nevertheless he did a great job in his first year

~bedsy~

First Grade
Chicken_Hunter said:
Hmm... He is just making excuses for our form slump.. He could of said no last year when he was assistant coach as he was away the same amount of time.. We will naturally lose games during origin, we do every year, it is the weeks after origin where you get a good idea of where you are at, and it would be hard to tell this year with all our injuries..

He wont quit origin footy.
I agree. I said in my earlier post, we always slump during Origin, as long as we have rep players out we will slump.

Hopefully he doesn't quite coaching QLD, this is going to be a great experience for him.

Penny, Bennett and Lang don't want to touch it with a fifty foot pole... who else do you think would want it?

Tommy Raudonikis to coach QLD!!!!
Seriously though-the club struggles cause Miller cant get the job done.
Hagan is a fine coach but has probably stirred up a hornets nest in Qld with this.

Looks like its Bennett or no-one

Latest posts