What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Half + 5/8 combo

Mr_E

Juniors
Did anyone else hear Sterlo's comment during the game saying that this half and 5/8 combination is the first to last for 8 games since 1997. This consistency will certainly help the team now and in the latter parts of the season.

Your thoughts everyone??

Hurriflatch

Referee
yeah I did but that was actually the 9th game as Parra have not yet had the bye at it was roind 9.

Very interesting that it has been that long I would have thought that at the end of 2003 when Morris played 5/8 and Witt 1/2 they would've racked up 8 games.

The Colonel

Immortal
When Johnny scored, the song played over the loud speaker was Here's Johnny (by Hocus Pocus). It was quite apt as he appeared pretty much out of nowehere.

Johnny is playing some great footy and is really combining well with Tim-mah...... Some of the passing between the pair has been brilliant.

Hurriflatch

Referee
Each player seemes to have their own son this year. I'm wondering if anyone has a list of them

I know 2

John Morris - Here's Johnny
Dean Widders - Land down under

Glenn

First Grade
The combinations between the two have been nothing short of amazing given the relatively short time they have been together.
Watching the TV coverage yesterday as JM collected the kick , it really was a look at amazment on the face of JM looking at Timmy knowing what they work on in practice has just paid dividends :D

on the topic of half 5/8 did u guys notice that scrum leading to burts try b4 halftime, we had no forwards in the backline, presto we score a backline movement try. Hopefully when we are in attacking position or in oppositions half we use the likes of mckinnon, tahu, smith, burt, grothe and sideshow opposed to morrison, ridell or hindmarch.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Hurriflatch said:
Each player seemes to have their own son this year. I'm wondering if anyone has a list of them

I know 2

John Morris - Here's Johnny
Dean Widders - Land down under

They had this last year too. And they are played when the player is introduced.

Someone has thunderstruck, Hindy is thank god I'm a country boy.

I'll see if I can remember the rest.

bartman

Immortal
Johnny's the rock of the combo. Anyone else and I'd fear Tim wouldn't be going as well as he is.

I look at the back end of 2003, when Johnny at 5/8 also brought the best out of Witt. Last year (without Morris in that role) Witt, Thorman and even Dykes didn't reach potential as halfback options.

We've recruited well for hooker/dummy half, allowing the freedom to use Morris in this way, but I wouldn't have predicted it would have worked so well. Dare I say, well done Brian on this one :clap:

nöyd

Staff member
As I said in the Dean Widders thread, Johnny IMO is the most improved player so far this year (along with Deano) :clap:

Go Johnny go! 8)

How Ironic that an article comes up the very next day.

Morris establishes Eels' pairing
By Iain Payten
May 10, 2005

AN INTUITIVE sense of the future from Parramatta five-eighth John Morris has helped the Eels establish the most lethal halves pairing in the game.

Morris has revealed he studied the game of dynamic young halfback Tim Smith while the rookie was still in the Parramatta lower grades, convinced he would one day team up with the 20-year-old in the NRL.

It not only paid off for the Eels on Sunday with a spectacular try to spark Parramatta's demolition of the Cowboys.

But it's also paid rich dividends this season.

Statistics reveal that Smith and Morris are now the most deadly combination in the game - a clearcut first in try-assists compared to all NRL halfback/five-eighth pairings.

After laying on five tries on Sunday with three kicks and two last-passes, Smith took his try-assist tally for the season to 14.

The Gold Coast junior is currently four ahead of nearest rival Penrith captain Craig Gower (10) and allied with Morris (7) forms the deadliest attacking duo in the competition with a total of 21 try assists.

Brisbane's pairing of Darren Lockyer (8) and Brett Seymour (7) is in the second spot.

"He has been at the club for a few years and I studied his game a little bit, worked out how he plays and what he likes to do," Morris said yesterday.

"I always thought he was a good chance to play No.7 in first grade, and Brian [Smith] had high hopes for him as well.

"It was just down to whether he could step up to this level. He has certainly proved he can."

Yesterday Parramatta players celebrated their big weekend with a round of lawn bowls, ahead of a bye this weekend.

Morris said that a friendship with Smith forged in his time with the Eels was beginning to translate into an innate on-field understanding as well.

The Eels' first try against the Cowboys was a perfect example.

Despite starting 20 metres away and behind his back, Morris pounced on a precise Smith banana kick to score and spark a 50-point spree.

"That one I heard him call my name and I knew what he was going to do, I just pushed up for him," Morris recalled.

"We work hard at training and after training actually, trying to find each other at the line, to push up for each other rather than just dropping back for the long pass.

"We hadn't played much together at the start of the year but Tim and I always had confidence in each other and our games.

"The coach and the team did as well, and it gives you more freedom to try things in games and attack."

The willingness of his enthusiastic halves - recently a problem area for Parramatta - to gel quickly has given Smith great optimism for the Eels' season.

Convincing wins over North Queensland, Penrith and the Storm are proof the Eels are well credentialled for finals football.

"Many people thought we'd struggle in the halves this year but there were so many new blokes coming to the club as well, it was more than about how the halves will gel. It was about how the whole team will come together, and the good thing is that we have in a short space of time," Morris said.

But sitting on the fringes of the top eight after a handful of bad losses, Parramatta are now searching for consistency in a bid to challenge this year.

"We have to find that consistency now, we had a couple of good games but then had a slip," said Morris.

"The losses to Brisbane and Souths were embarrassing, but all the others we've been in the game."

With Smith and Morris at the reins, Parramatta are hoping they'll continue to not only be in the game, but in the winner's circle as well.

The Daily Telegraph

Clarkieel

Juniors
Yeah they all have songs we laugh cause sideshows is the one about the people ion the front row adn thats where I sit :-D

stiffmeister

Bench
Take note peoples, this combination is lethal. Oh Yeeeeeeeeeeahhhhhh

Go Tim & Morris & in hindsight, a master stroke by one B Smith. The man has repented & is doing well.

Give Brian the credit he deserves

;-)