What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halftime siren

Two weeks in a row the Tigers have conceded a try due to the failure of the ref to blow the whistle for halftime. Last week's one was marginal but this week's was an egregious error on the part of Klein. He allowed the Manly guy to play the ball about 10 seconds after time had elapsed. You wonder if Manly hadn't scored whether the game would've continued for another play. I'm as parochial as the next supporter and will argue over every on-field decision but the reality is that most calls are discretionary. Unfortunately, stopping play for halftime is not. Such a blunder warrants immediate demotion.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I was in the grand stand and heard it fine. Hiku wasn't even on the ground when the siren started. I was in complete shock when they played the ball. Are we seriously at the point where referees need the siren in their ear piece? Why couldn't the video ref stop it?

DoggiesBroke

Juniors
That is frustrating for the Tigers as a clear blunder spoilt what was a perfect first half.

Perhaps touch judges can become more involved in monitoring how much time is left in each half.

Matchball

Bench
Amateur hour.
Look at the NBA and how they officiate time.
Even get down to replays on the clock v's the ball leaving the hand.

If the game wants to be treated seriously internationally, get the officiating of time correct.
It isn't that hard.

Farah complained Manly's final play-the-ball had come after time, and officials later said the automated siren did not go off.
"That's an issue for the club to get better sirens," referee Ashley Klein told Farah.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-new...nly-in-the-leichhardt-wet-20140406-366lu.html

No Ashleeee, you and your merry men are responsible for keeping track of the time.

As the senior referee he should accept the blame and bear the consequences. I think demotion to the State Cup for 1-2 games is appropriate.

Card Shark

Immortal

TimmyB

Juniors
The geniused thing to me is thar the video ref couldn't come in and say that was clearly after the siren, all plays after the siren ars void. Maybe upsetting for Manly but a far lesser miscarriage of justice than what happened.

They can rule on touch and go issues but not the flagrantly obvious? Ridiculous.

boonboon

Juniors
Tigers fan and we were blowing up but to be clear - when the last play Manly scored off started the clock had defiantly stopped by a few seconds but the hooter didn't go off till after the play has started. The video ref however should have been able to know that the clock had stopped when the play started

Sphagnum

Coach
One of the first things you learn as a kid is play to the whistle. The siren is not the whistle last time I checked.

undertaker

Coach
Deja vu. Just when I thought the same thing couldn't happen again after last year's Bulldogs/Knights match when 2 or so more tackles were allowed beyond fulltime when the Bulldogs had a chance of scoring at the death to force the game into extra time, I couldn't believe my eyes when I clearly heard the siren watching the match on tv and that last play was allowed where Manly scored from it. Man, the Tigers fans would've been ropeable had they ended up losing by 6 or less.

Absolute amateur hour from the refs and they deserve to be stood down over a blatant blunder like that. Most of the time I think Robbie Farah is one of the biggest ref whingers in the game, but he had every right to do so in that situation with Ashley Klein

gallagher

Juniors
Tigers fan and we were blowing up but to be clear - when the last play Manly scored off started the clock had defiantly stopped by a few seconds but the hooter didn't go off till after the play has started. The video ref however should have been able to know that the clock had stopped when the play started

So the siren went off after the ball had been played?

no name

Coach
The worst thing was it went to the video ref.
Before reviewing any on field play they should have just wiped it.

nrlnrl

First Grade
On Channel 9 they said that the automated siren ( connected to official timer ) failed to work & they had to manually sound the siren. I don't know whether it went before or after the ball was played though

In AFL they've had problems with sirens a few times ( twice in Tasmania I think ? ), so it's not just a rugby league problem.

gallagher

Juniors
On Channel 9 they said that the automated siren ( connected to official timer ) failed to work & they had to manually sound the siren. I don't know whether it went before or after the ball was played though

In AFL they've had problems with sirens a few times ( twice in Tasmania I think ? ), so it's not just a rugby league problem.

Tasmania and Leichhardt. It sounds like a antiquated venue thing.

super_coach

First Grade
Okay the ref got it wrong, it happens, but the guys upstairs should have the powers to over rule the try as it was scored outside the legal time. Most calls made by officials are arbitrary but when it comes to time its black and white. Its a sad day when the NRL cant even get the time right, amateur hour again in a billion dollar sport

Latest posts