What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hanley or Morley?

Who has made the biggest impact in the NRL?

• Adrian Morley

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ellery Hanley

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

suburbanknight

Juniors
To settle a little dispute over here in blighty can all you Aussies please vote on who has made the biggest impact in the NRL.

Adrian Morley, who has reached two grand finals now, with one victory already in the bag.

Or Ellery Hanley, who helped Balmain reach a GF in the 80's and also played for Wests.

Moffo

Referee
Morley for sure, definitely had a bigger impact for me. He is a cult figure in the Eastern Suburbs now, listen to the crowd chant Morley when he gets interviewed after a game or if he pulls off a big hit

Cheers,
Moffo

JJ

Immortal
Hanley was a freak.

He was such a threat that Lamb had to remove him from the game - a despicable act, but one that one them the game.

The Roosters could still win without Morley, although their chances would drop. But they could also lose with him. I'm looking forward to him trying to put a big hit on Puleatua!! That'll be interesting. If Penrith play well, they have every chance. the big kids in their forward pack are very skillful (Waterhouse is a real star in the making), and in Gower and Girdler they have experience

Hanley was a much better player than Morley could ever be though. But Morley has done better in Aussie so far.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I wont be suprised if he takes out this years golden boot award. He has certainly been one of best forwards this season. He is a key to the Roosters forwards.

JasonE

Bench
Mozza has made the biggest impact but Hanley was a freak and the Tigers wouldn't have got to the 89 GF without him, I don't think the Roosters would be half the side without Moz

Once Dead

Bench
Different positions, different eras.........

Hanley was dynamite in the sense of his creativity........Morley is dynamite in the sense of his bash em round knock em down approach.....

Morley has trekked a harder road for a Pom or anyone in any weaker league to make it here today.....in the 80's (Ellery Celery's time) there wasn't that much of a divide.......

Still, Hanley is a legend - lets talk in about 5 years time and well be able to compare them justly then......

i_like_footy

Juniors
JasonE said:
Mozza has made the biggest impact but Hanley was a freak and the Tigers wouldn't have got to the 89 GF without him, I don't think the Roosters would be half the side without Moz

89 dont you mean 88?

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Definately Hanley......alot better actually!!

Ellery was the whole package who could do anything with the ball in his hand.......Morley is more of a simplistic player but now where near as skillfull as Hanley!!

Some of the try's Ellery scored had to be seen to believed!!!

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ellery Hanley wins by a landslide and then some. He was another level above everyone else in 88-89. Morley is about par with the best in the game now. That's all that needs to be said.

Victor Trumper

Juniors
I rate Hanley as the best player I've seen on my time on the planet. He almost single handed got Balmain into the GF, whilst Morley is a fine player, he doesn't have anywhere near the impact on his team or the game as Hanley did.

Special K

Coach
Hanley had got like status at my house. I never saw that much of him besides some clips and some of when he returned back to Balmain in the mid 90's. So I really can't say but I remember he was still entertaining then so how knows what he would have been like in his prime.

Rooster Alex

Juniors
As said above, its a bit of apples and oranges comparing the two.

A better comparison would be Morley and Reilly.

From a Roosters perspective Morley is worth his weight when compared to our last high-profile english import, Martin Offiah :roll:

aqua_duck

Coach
PARRA_FAN said:
I wont be suprised if he takes out this years golden boot award. He has certainly been one of best forwards this season. He is a key to the Roosters forwards.
Would you make that statement if Morley wasn't a pom? Surely not.
Morley has had a good year but to suggest that he deserves the golden boot is crazy. Last year Ali Lautii'ti had a far greater impact than Adrian Morley did this year and wasn't even in serious contention for the award. Morley isn't even the best forward in the roosters pack(I rate Fitzgibbon higher), let alone the best player in the world. If any rooster deserves the golden boot its Freddy.

Chook

First Grade
I'd just like to see more poms playing in our league over here rather than more Aussies playing over there. If more poms play here they get better individually and International Rugby League will benefit in the long run. And not just poms either.

Let's get players from other league playing nations into our comp so they experience the best Rugby League in the world and take that experience back to their competitions.

Chook.

Latest posts