What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Happy Straya Day

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
What does it mean to you ?

Beer and Barbie ?

Do you support our first nation's people's claim that it represents invasion day ?

Or all of the above ?

Gronk

Staff member
I have had a bit to do with the IMP over the years and it is a common position by our indigenous folk that the date celebrates a day of mourning to them.

C1103BB7-A84A-4AF0-8391-016B809F1878.jpeg

My point of view is that if this date offends out first nations people, then change it. It’s not as if 26 Jan has any tradition behind it. Our states have only recently celebrated Australia Day on a common date.

A8AC4648-C02D-461D-8DDB-84CC4F55F0E9.jpeg

My daughter suggested May 8 - Maaate. :flag_au:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I have had a bit to do with the IMP over the years and it is a common position by our indigenous folk that the date celebrates a day of mourning to them.

View attachment 45458

My point of view is that if this date offends out first nations people, then change it. It’s not as if 26 Jan has any tradition behind it. Our states have only recently celebrated Australia Day on a common date.

View attachment 45459

My daughter suggested May 8 - Maaate. :flag_au:

This has pretty much been a recent thing whereas it could have been raised any time in the last 200 years. Maybe it was but I'm not aware.

Its impossible to argue that they were not invaded.

I've lived amongst indigenous people and it was never even discussed, I'm talking prior to millennials.

Why do you think that is ?

Gronk

Staff member
This has pretty much been a recent thing whereas it could have been raised any time in the last 200 years. Maybe it was but I'm not aware.

Its impossible to argue that they were not invaded.

I've lived amongst indigenous people and it was never even discussed, I'm talking prior to millennials.

Why do you think that is ?

I don’t think that most Australians in the burbs listen to them with a genuine ear. The tide is turning and the mood in both society and constitutional recognition is changing.

As Dr Miriam-Rose Ungunmerr Baumann (snr AU of the year) said last night...

We learnt to speak your English fluently, walked on a one-way street to learn the white people's way," Dr Ungunmerr Baumann said after accepting her award on Monday night.

"Now is the time for you to come closer to understand us and to understand how we live and to listen to what needs are in our communities."

Honestly I think Australians only think that the “good” indigenous people are those who have learnt to live our way and disappeared from sight.

Gronk

Staff member
I just got back from a run and listened to an Australia Day playlist on Spotify.

Out on the patio we'd sit,
And the humidity we'd breathe,
We'd watch the lightning crack over canefields
Laugh and think, this is Australia.

Reminds me of our trips to QLD as a kid in the station wagon. You knew you were in QLD when you saw the sugar cane. Great memories, :thumbsup:

Gronk

Staff member
It wouldn’t matter what date it’s changed too, people will still whinge and complain.
The change the date push is not for “people” its for our first nations folk. Everyone has their own Uncle Frank who would still whinge if he won the lottery.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly I think Australians only think that the “good” indigenous people are those who have learnt to live our way and disappeared from sight.

That's one thing we really f**ked up big time

Howard threw money at Atsic and said make it all go away, what a f**k up that was.

Abbott said they are a financial liability and took funding away from some in remote northern WA so they had to move to regional towns for survival, they then mix with "our" culture and their culture and heritage is gone for good, whereas I saw them as a asset to our country and its traditional history.

We've gone past the point of no return for the (what I call) true indigenous people, or full blooded if you like. There really aren't too many of them around anymore, especially where most people live like regional towns or cities.

Avenger

Immortal
It’s saddens me when we as a nation are constantly giving in to the minorities.

The suggestion the other day from that irrelevant lefty soft cock that it should be changed to the same day as the Mabo decision is also not the right day as it would do the same and even worse and alienate the majority of Australians.

Keep Australia Day as is but once Scotland leaves the UK the Union Jack will be obsolete. That’s when we should consider possibly changing the flag.

Soto

Bench
Last Sunday in Jan every year and the Mon is the public holiday...Togetherness or Unison day..

Gronk

Staff member

The suggestion the other day from that irrelevant lefty soft c**k that it should be changed to the same day as the Mabo decision is also not the right day as it would do the same and even worse and alienate the majority of Australians.

Keep Australia Day as is but once Scotland leaves the UK the Union Jack will be obsolete. That’s when we should consider possibly changing the flag.
My brother is like you. He doesn't care what date it actually is, he just doesn't like being told what to do. He's focused on the PC brigade rather than having compassion for those who do actually care about the date.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I'll be honest. It doesn't mean anything to me, beyond a day off work.

I'm sympathetic to any argument about changing the date (or even renaming it), as long as I still get a day off work.

strider

Post Whore
I'll be honest. It doesn't mean anything to me, beyond a day off work.

I'm sympathetic to any argument about changing the date (or even renaming it), as long as I still get a day off work.
yeah I'm pretty much the same ... and when it changes, don't pull this bullshit anzac day on the weekend mumbo jumbo on us and take the public holiday away if it falls on a saturday or sunday .... and preferably make whatever the alternate day is sometime in the warmer months

I think its fair to say 26th isn't good as it represents the start of something bad for many

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
There comes a point where the perpetual debate is more damaging than the ramifications of changing it. We need to make a f**ken decision but no chance of any change with ScMo in charge.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
I see where you are coming from, but in this case is strongly disagree that a debate about changing the date would be an example of giving into minorities. Imo it's the least we can do. I don't feel guilty, but I do feel deeply uncomfortable 'celebrating' this particular day.

Latest posts