What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hardest Pre-Season Ever

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Let's try a different approach this year.
Instead of training our ass off for the next few months I suggest a daily bbq bonding session.
…or forget the fitness narrative this year and everyone is given a football for the off season. Take it with them everywhere; the sand hills, bench press, circuit training, power training; cardio, video sessions, psychologist session, press interviews, community events, the shit house…
Master how to pass it and catch it!

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade
Ba , humbug !

Why you young whippersnappers wouldn’t know what a hard pre-season was . I remember when Johnny Raper was captain coach of the Dragons back in the sixties and he would take his players out on a early morning run . The poor sods would run for miles with telegraph poles on their backs - or was that they would run pass telegraph poles for miles ? Er well whatever - you know what I mean , but they were the days when a man trained hard !

You only need to look at the seasons results to realize just how much that macho training benefited the players . None of this whishy- washy running around the bluudy oval and then stopping for a GatorbluudyAde business .

Men were men back then , after their run they would stop at nearest corner pub and have a few schooners- purely for medicinal purposes only mind you and then back to Kogarah to do 500 push-ups .

Perhaps that’s what our blokes need nowadays , who knows , it may just take the Big Red V into a new golden age !

Last edited:

denis preston

First Grade
Ba , humbug !

Why you young whippersnappers wouldn’t know what a hard pre-season was . I remember when Johnny Raper was captain coach of the Dragons back in the sixties and he would take his players out on a early morning run . The poor sods would run for miles with telegraph poles on their backs or was that they would run pass telegraph poles for miles on end ? Er well whatever - you know what I mean , but they were the days when a man trained hard !

You only need to look at the seasons results to realize just how much that macho training benefited the players . None of this whishy- washy running around the bluudy oval and then stopping for a GatorbluudyAde business .

Men were men back then , after their run they would stop at nearest corner pub and have a few schooners- purely for medicinal purposes only mind you and then back to Kogarah to do 500 push-ups .

Perhaps that’s what our blokes need nowadays , who knows , it may just take the Big Red V into a new golden age !
Yes those were the days. Training starts 5.30 -6 then council would turn off the lights at 8.30 -9 PM then up the road to the Carlton pub for 2 -3 hours x twice a week !

Jersey No 14

Juniors
Give em a bat and put them in front of Mitchel Starc
That will grab their attention.

And try and not win the comp in the first half dozen weeks.
Its like homer trying to leap Springfield gorge - I'm going to make it! Top of the world!
Doh!!!!

Pre season pics.

3B166475-6D9B-42D3-B0DF-DB8CD6CEAC92.jpeg
Hayden Lomax’s brother Zane jogging very fast.

6379CE60-8242-43BF-9417-B8A040ACCCA4.jpeg
Lord and saviour Tyrell Sloan prepares to prove he’s a shit ton better than Dufty.

43362E42-FCA0-46EF-95B6-A43B659DA0A8.jpeg
Young gun Jayden Sullivan power lifts a full bottle of Powerade.

F8EAE085-720A-4A49-A1D7-9729DFB3EC1C.jpeg
Coach Anthony Griffin spots Corey Norman and tells him to f**k off out of here.

3D8C3CA8-EE18-41A3-9CC0-E79583D8855F.jpeg
During the toughest preseason evaaaa Jackson Ford training so hard his brain is leaking liquid adrenaline.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Ba , humbug !

Why you young whippersnappers wouldn’t know what a hard pre-season was . I remember when Johnny Raper was captain coach of the Dragons back in the sixties and he would take his players out on a early morning run . The poor sods would run for miles with telegraph poles on their backs or was that they would run pass telegraph poles for miles ? Er well whatever - you know what I mean , but they were the days when a man trained hard !

Looxury- Ah remember in mah day we had to get up at 4.00am, no money so had gravel for breakfast, did a 60km barefoot run from Wollongong to Kogarah getting run over on the Freeway and then when ambulance arrived at Jubilee oval we had to drag semitrailer around oval ten times and then coach would bollock us for taking short cuts before we set off on the 60Km limp home. We came last that season but bah goom we were fit .

Today's young footballers don't know how good they've got it.

( With apologies to the three Yorkshiremen)

gitano

Juniors
Did a full pre-season with the big boys a few years back (not Dragons) and yeah it's legitimately tough. I hope Hook is letting the younger guys get some size on. Sloan needs to be bigger, hard to achieve with relentless cardio.
Ramsey would lose 5kg checking the mail.

It wasn't fitness that cost them last season, it was offering up nothing with the ball and getting physically dominated.