What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harrigan is an embarassment to the game

I don't like Roy Masters on thebest of days, but Icouldn't agree a whole lot more with him after reading this article. Well said Roy you old fart:

Why the NRL should have stood by its man
ByRoy Masters at [url]www.smh.com.au[/url] The Tammy Wynette song Stand By Your Man should be blasted into National Rugby League headquarters by loudspeaker, say club bosses angry at referee Bill Harrigan's sacking. Support for Harrigan grew yesterday following his dumping after NRL officials reviewed the tape of Friday night's Knights-Eels match, in which the code's No1 referee four times sent Parramatta players to the sin bin. Newcastle chairman Michael Hill declared that NRL officials should be forced to listen to the American country and western singer's 1968 signature tune, to remind them that loyalty to its top men should endure as one of the code's proudest boasts. Although Wynette didn't exactly follow her own advice - being married five times - former commentator and international Rex Mossop also stood stoutly beside Harrigan. Mossop yesterday told a 600-guest luncheon, organised to promote Friday night's one-off Test between Australia and Great Britain, that he "rejected and resented" Harrigan's demotion.<br clear=all>
Addressing "the boffins from the NRL down the front here" and Parramatta, whom he inferred had led the charge against Harrigan, Mossop said: "I want to say that I'm appalled by what happened to Bill Harrigan. It weakens rugby league, allowing a club or clubs to dictate to the NRL or the Australian Rugby League about who's going to be the referee. "He has been given the complete arse by the NRL. I hope that some of you people sitting out there, however few there may be, would just stand up and applaud me for a minute in this." No-one stood. A few clapped - after all, Harrigan is a referee. The possibility of Harrigan, like Mossop, becoming a dual international was a contributing factor to his sacking. NRL board members were incensed by his refusal at the weekend to rule out a switch to rugby union. "He was supposed to be defending his rulings in the Parramatta game, yet spent the time talking about refereeing international rugby union matches," one NRL director said. Referees boss Peter Louis said: "I can understand why the powers that be might be unhappy with Bill's reaction to the question. It didn't come into my decision-making, but may have come into the decision-making of [NRL chief executive] David Gallop and [chief operations officer] Graham Annesley. "Bill had a chat with them before we all sat down to make the decision. It probably was the wrong thing to say, in hindsight, even if it was tongue-in-cheek." Nevertheless, senior Australian Rugby Union officials insist that Harrigan remains a target to referee internationals after next year's World Cup. Union's biggest problem is stoppages in play, and Harrigan's greatest asset is his ability to adjudicate on the run, warning players to avoid breaches. But it was this ability that deserted him on Friday night when, according to Louis, "Bill painted himself into a corner". "With 30 minutes to go and two players already in the sin bin, Bill had to keep putting them in the sin bin," Louis said. "He should have dragged the captains out and told them, 'This is doing nothing for the game'. "He should have warned them that if it keeps going, the next holding down penalty he gets will be another sin bin." Whether a midfield powwow would have settled tempers in Friday night's volatile atmosphere is debatable, but Louis insists it will be a template for future action. "We've learnt something from it," he said. "We must have a structure in place when it comes to a second or third sin binning, and the policy of a referee addressing both captains will be put into our guidelines: let's get consistency with ourselves." What it means is that the code's top referee has been sacrificed as complaints concerning match officials reach a crescendo. "I don't think the week off will do him any harm," Louis said. The bottom line is this: the NRL are bringing Harrigan down a peg or two. They believe his ego dominated Friday night's game and had grown to the size of Tasmania with his weekend media appearances. <u>Loyalty may be the code's strongest asset, but big-headedness is its greatest crime.

</u>The Raging-One

El Duque

Bench
Other refs have been dumped for bad performances and there's no reason Bill shouldn't be.

Where was Roy's bitching when people like Archer were dropped?

Bill aint the best ref.He's a joke.

imported_midas

Juniors
Having watched the Melbourne Footy Show on half a dozen occasions and having seen some of their panel shows,I don,t believe I have ever heard an Umpire mentioned by name.This is the way it should be-is it only League that makes personalities of refs?

El Duque

Bench
You hear of refs in boxing a bit with controversial stoppages or just bad refereeing but not too many othersports officials names are even known.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The Roy Masters article doesnt surprise me.
It was inevitable that people would feel sorry for Bill - even John Hopoate copped a favourable backlash after a bit.

Moffo: interesting site... heres one of the pages...

tab2.jpg
Not sure which ones I like the most... The 'ability to work under pressure' or, the 'Integrity and honesty'... Bill to a tee. ;)

tab1.jpg

It is Willow, apparently they have already received 500 applications of interest. What a high demand job it must be!!!

"And without the referee, there is no game"

Wow! Mind-numbing knowledge that is

Moffo.

Bill has been hard done by here the nrl bosses have got this completely WRONG they will just make all refs gun-shy about sending players to the bin. so what if it was 4 they were trying to slow the game down by cheating bill warned them then he took action and good on him for having the balls to do it. they have missed the opportunity to get it out of the game by punishing bill, the players now know they wont be binned for the same thing in future games and thats bullshit....if the story about him looking at a tape of the last parra game is correct then all power to him, its done in soccer all the time, the refs know what teams try to get away with and are ready for them when it happens and that it a very professional attitude to running a good fast game.

imported_midas

Juniors
The truth seems to have completely escaped you here.The NRL found that two of the 4 sin-binnings were unjustified and that is perilously close to cheating.
A review of the tape showed that the Eels average time in getting out of tackles was 0.1 sec faster than Newcastle.A very small difference,admittedly,but at least they were not slower which obviously convinced the NRL that the Human Headline was only refereeing one side.Notwithstanding all this,I still believe that the Newcastle /Parramatta fiasco had less to do with the demotion than his out -of-control media appearances.I think they have simply pulled the reins on the show pony.

unjustified? just about every game has misstakes from the ref, applying your rule they should be dropped. then who will ref the next round? who would want to be a ref if the powers that be dont stand behind them. right or wrong bill called it as he saw it. if he got it wrong a quiet word from the boss of the refs would be the way to go not how it was done peter sterling and ex parra player recons he was hard done by and thats good enough for me.

imported_justme

Juniors
What mistakes?He chose to apply the rules unevenly, penalising only one side for what both were doing. Because he went into the game with a predetermined opinion hewas so convinced it would be only one side that he didn't even bother to check what the other was doing. That is not a mistake it is ego centric incompetence.

Regardless of that game the guy has a problem which he has demonstrated over many years and it constantly resurfaces. The only thing I do agree with you on is that he shouldn't have been dropped, he should have been booted out of the game altogether.

<u>Harrigan reinstated! </u> <table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 width="100%" border=0> <tbody> <tr> <td></td></tr> <tr> <td></td></tr> <tr> <td align=right></td></tr></tbody></table> <table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 width="100%" border=0> <tbody> <tr> <td>
space.gif
</td></tr> <tr> <td> <table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=left border=0> <tbody> <tr> <td>
028902news.jpg
</td> <td>
space.gif
</td></tr></tbody></table>The NRL referees committee has reinstated star whistleblower Bill Harrigan to first grade while dropping Steve Lyons, Matt Cecchin and Tony Archer. Also returning to the top divison is Tim Mader while Steve Richards has been promoted. Lyons was dropped after his handling of Saturday night's Sydney Roosters versus Melbourne Storm clash where he wrongly awarded Melbourne forward Stephen Kearney a try in the Storm's victory at Olympic Park. <table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=right border=0> <tbody> <tr> <td> <center> <table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 width="100%" border=0> <tbody> <tr> <td align=middle> </td></tr></tbody></table></center></td></tr></tbody></table> Lyons will be the standby referee for Harrigan at Brookvale Oval on Sunday when the game's No.1 whistleblower makes his comeback in the Northern Eagles' clash with the Sharks. "It was never going to be longer than a week," Louis said of Harrigan's axing. Harrigan, who was dropped after sin-binning three Eels players - including centre Michael Buettner twice - in their clash with Newcastle 11 days ago will begin his week back in the fold with a training run at Parramatta tomorrow. The game's most experienced whistleblower agreed to join the club in a session after talking with coach Brian Smith last week. "He's just getting out and having a training run with the boys," Louis said. "Brian and Bill agreed that something like this should be done. It's just part of getting back on track." Louis was at pains today to deny that either Lyons or Cecchin had been dropped as a result of their controversial outings at the weekend. "It was just a matter of numbers," Louis said. "We have created a bit of a monster for ourselves. We have brought in Lyons, Cecchin, (Shayne) Hayne. "(Mark) Oaten hasn't had a start and he's been in line for one. "Tim Mander and Billy had to come back this week." Stuart was fuming after Lyons awarded Kearney a try despite the Kiwi international clearly dropping the ball over the line. "There's a big chance (Lyons) will be the referee that Bill Harrigan will be replacing next week," Stuart said at the time. Louis said: "With Steve Lyons, he got behind the post. "When he got his head around it he thought the ball had been ground. "You have to be confident to make a decision rather than go to the video referee all the time. "But he's learnt a lesson from that." Cecchin earned the ire of Newcastle coach Michael Hagan and captain Andrew Johns, while also angering Canberra officials when he described fullback Clinton Schifcofske as "the boy who cried wolf" after the Queensland Origin winger was injured late in the game. Schifcofske will miss the next six weeks for the Raiders after suffering a severe ankle sprain. But Louis - who admitted Cecchin had used "a poor choice of words" - made it clear that he had not been dropped as a result of his performance.
=================

..and so he should be! IMHO.</td></tr></tbody></table>

Latest posts