What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harris return signals Cup coup

MR REF

Juniors
came across this article on foxsports.com.au just a minute ago and thought it was interesting to read that nrl clubs will chase cheap union plyers.

Harris return signals Cup coup
By Dean Ritchie
October 17, 2003

WELSH superstar Iestyn Harris is poised to return to rugby league amid increasing talk NRL clubs are ready to pounce on World Cup players.

Harris, 27, is considering a $500,000-a-season offer from the Bradford Bulls rugby league club.

The Daily Telegraph understands big-spending Leeds are also chasing Harris, the Wales five-eighth who has a year to run on his contract with club side Cardiff Blues.

But it is the Welsh Rugby Union which pays Harris and the governing body is in financial difficulty.

Harris might be cut free by rugby union and return to rugby league - the game where he began his professional career aged 17.

Last week in a pool match against Canada, Harris had a wonderful match in attack, scoring 16 points.

Harris, who shifted to union in 2001 for a then record $3.7million, was unavailable for comment last night.

Wales play Tonga this Sunday at Canberra Stadium with Harris being switched from centre to the bench despite playing a role in three of Wales' tries against Canada.

NRL clubs last night told of their desire to search for a "bargain buy" in the Cup. Parramatta and Manly were two clubs to confirm they were looking at signing rugby union players.

The Daily Telegraph

MR REF

Juniors
Senior club officials admit to searching for a "bargain buy" among the less glamorous nations including Japan, Fiji and Italy.

Some unheralded rugby union players could be lured to rugby league for between $50,000 and $70,000 – a gamble some NRL clubs are prepared to take.

Manly football manager Peter Peters conceded his club was looking at recruiting from the South African team.

Rugby union players are not factored into NRL club's $3.25 million salary cap – making players from the opposite code more attractive.

"We were looking at a couple of players before the tournament," Peters said. "We are more interested now.

"There are a couple of South African players who are very interesting."

Parramatta chief executive Denis Fitzgerald said some World Cup performances had caught the eye.

"We'd be mad not to have a look around given the amount of talent on display," Fitzgerald said yesterday.

"There are a few players we're keeping an eye on."

North Queensland coach Graham Murray said: "We wouldn't outlay huge dollars but we wouldn't rule any having a look at some players.

"I've watched a few games and there is certainly some talented union players I believe would make it in rugby league."

Canberra Raiders chief executive Simon Hawkins said his club would monitor the tournament.

"[Former Raiders coach] Don Furner is our spotter and he'll be going to a couple of games," Hawkins said.

"We have four here in Canberra. We aren't on an active campaign to sign players but you never know."

Informed rugby union sources last night said Fijian winger Rupeni Caucaunibuka, All Black Doug Howlett and England winger Ben Cohen could prove worthwhile acquisitions for rugby league clubs.

Italy coach John Kirwan has targeted Australian rugby league players of Italian descent, including Sydney Roosters fullback Anthony Minichiello, as potential recruits for the Azzurri, Bret Harris reports.

Kirwan, the former New Zealand All Black winger, said there were several Italian Australians playing in the NRL which was a talent pool Italy could not afford to ignore.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Thanks for posting that mate, made for an interesting read. I'd completely forgotten about the 'declaration of war' the NRL threw up against RU after the loss of guys like Tuqiri.

Frankly I'd like to see a few guys from the less successful (financially) nations given a chance in the NRL. I mean, I don't expect to see any Georgians or Romanians taking the field, but the island nations could definately provide some exciting talent for the NRL. Given that most of these nations don't have professional comps, a lot of the players would likely find the chance to be paid to play quite tempting.

Will watch intently to see what develops.

About Harris, that'd be great news. He was a huge loss to the code, not to mention to Welsh RL. He, alongside Briers and Cunningham, were the reason the Dragons almost beat Australia in 2000- and it'd be good to see him back in the Greatest Game.

Chris

In-goal

Bench
The problem with the Union players is that they are on massive contracts to ZZZZZZurich premiership clubs, I just wish that people weren't so fickle
rember it was only in the early 90's that the Wannabies played before a couple of thousand at concord.

dimitri

First Grade
correct me if im wrong

but i thought the salary cap concessions were only for yawnion players under 21 :? :? :? :?

anyway

id like to see RL go out and sign all there players

then get them playing for their respective countries when we have our own world cup

that would be great

joshreading

Staff member
I think RL needs to target carefully, especially players from countries that could help RL internationally.

Sign some Fijians, Tongans maybe an american or two, that would cause a stir and strengthen the nations a bit.

You could probably get them for quite cheap too.

As has been mentioned getting their up and coming under 21 players would be a coup for the minor nations as well as it gives growth not just a boost through publicity.

Auckland4ever

Juniors
I remember ages ago on the warriors forum at another site I posted a thread about scouting the talent in Fiji. I dont know to what extent RL does this, because that tiny little nation has talent in abundance & none of it seems to end up in RL.
Most NZ Super12 sides & a number of NPC provinces have Fijians playing for them & most of them are at the very least good players. Rockokoko & Rupeni would be superstars in either code, IMO. The trick is to find these guys before they break through & land big union contracts. Its a gamble, but to me it makes more sense than spending huge amounts of money buying back the likes of Iestyn Harris, who hasnt really set the world on fire in rugby. They should wait, in his case. Chances are he'd come back for less in time.

In-goal

Bench
It surprises me the RL clubs haven't setup catchment areas for them selves through out the pacific.

One thing North Sydney were very proactive in this sort of thing, I believe they were in South Africa and a few other countries scooping about in the early 90's.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
Well Lote Tuquiri is of Fijian origin too so they've definately got a penchant fpr producing talented outside backs.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I definately agree with Josh. The likes of Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, and USA would be excellent players to poach. A lot of them aren't professionals, and they're all in nations that Rugby League needs to strengthen for a healthy international competition.

I'm surprised that more NRL clubs aren't setting up scouts in nations outside Australia and New Zealand. Doubtless there are potential stars, or at the very least first graders, in the major island nations, USA, and even Russia.

Chris

In-goal

Bench
I think the Super League war went along way to detering the clubs traveling overseas in the last 8 years, but i think this Onion event may rekindle the desire to field internationals.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
In-goal said:
I think the Super League war went along way to detering the clubs traveling overseas in the last 8 years, but i think this Onion event may rekindle the desire to field internationals.

i think everyone here agrees 100% with that statement.also maybe this little get together for the rah rahs might open the eyes of a few wankers who run international league.hopfully they will see that the way forward for league is to play internationals and world cups.
just look at that game today,what a great advert for international league.

next all the dooms dayers will be saying its the death of league in australia because new zealand beat us :roll: but let them say what they like because league at the top level is the greatest sport there is period.