What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has expansion actually brought in any more money?

You are comparing Sydney clubs that entered the comp when it only was a suburban comp to brisbane based clubs who are entering a national (or semi-national) comp. Just because Sydney has these suburban clubs doesn't mean we should replicate the same landscape in Brisbane, but it also doesn't mean we should just rationalise and merge Sydney clubs. Sydney was and still is a much bigger and more economically powerful city than Brisbane, the national comp grew out from the local Sydney comp, that's just how it is.
What's your point?

Sydney is twice as big as Brisbane.

Sydney is NOT nine times bigger than Brisbane. (ie. 9 vs 1)

Sydney is NOT four and a half times bigger than Brisbane. (ie. 9 vs 2)

Sydney is NOT three times bigger than Brisbane. (ie. 9 vs 3)

Sydney's teams are not anywhere as rich as the Broncos and routinely bleed more money than they make. The Cowboys, Raiders and Storm and more viable.

As you pointed out, Sydney was a suburban competition when these teams were created. The NSWRFL chose to expand and become national and had plans to rationalise Sydney in the 80s.

Not all suburban teams are fit to make the transition to a national league. For this reason, the strongest teams should have been kept and slightly rebranded so they could appeal to more than their local region. The ARLC has done exactly this with Redcliffe, who are financially stronger than most Sydney teams. Where the ARLC has shot itself in the foot is by refusing to do it with Sydney's teams. The only Sydney teams that have attempted to grow their brand are Dragons, Roosters, Rabbitohs and Tigers. They're all much bigger now than they were in the early 1990s.

Manly and Cronulla have remained insular and are among the perennial strugglers. Both would be on the scrapheap without the annual grant.

If we stick with nine Sydney teams then you can kiss goodbye to any possibility of having teams in Adelaide and Perth. If we don't have teams in Adelaide and Perth then we risk becoming a niche sport like RU.

Last edited:

mongoose

Coach
Is Redcliffe appealing to more than its local region though? Just because they say they represent all of Moreton Bay and Sunshine coast doesn't mean they do. They are still Redcliffe and the Redcliffe peninsula which comprises of about 8 suburbs only has 55,000 people.

Is Redcliffe appealing to more than its local region though? Just because they say they represent all of Moreton Bay and Sunshine coast doesn't mean they do. They are still Redcliffe and the Redcliffe peninsula which comprises of about 8 suburbs only has 55,000 people.
That's like saying we shouldn't go to Adelaide or Perth because it'll only appeal to Queenslanders, New South Welshman, New Zealanders and Brits who live there. It's incredibly short-sighted and symbolic of the our sport's refusal to see the value of sewing the seeds now and reaping the benefits later.

Melbourne only drew 9k at first, but now they're one of the highest drawing clubs in the league. It took time and investment. We now have an entire generation of kids in Melbourne who don't know what it was like to not have an RL club representing their city.

Dolphins will grow and expand their fanbase beyond their traditional boundaries over the next 10, 15 and 20 years to the point that kids from Logan, Redlands, Brisbane and Sunshine Coast won't see them as a team representing just 55k people. There's at least two people from Logan on this board who've adopted the Dolphins as their team, and I'm happy to say I'm one of them. I'll always be a Cowboys fan and have dual memberships, but the Dolphins will be just as important and mean just as much to me.

Steelers have no stake in the Dragons and it was always just a take over by St George, yet crowds at Wollongong have doubled since the Steelers went bust.

The Titans situation was caused by the global financial crisis hitting around the time they were building the Centre of Excellence, which would have been a strong money generating asset. You're always talking about clubs needing to not rely on pokies and have other revenue sources. Well the Titans were developing that, but were unfortunate enough to enter the competition just a year before the GFC.

The stadium rental costs set by the Queensland Government were very high and required the Titans to draw 18k fans through the gates to break even.

Cowboys did struggle back in the day, for the same reasons the Western Reds needed to be bailed out just weeks after entering the ARL. They had to cover travel and accommodation costs of all Sydney teams. News Ltd bailed the Reds and Cowboys out but ended up culling the former because it didn't offer as much value to them as the latter. Cowboys are now one of the richest and most watched clubs in the competition, whereas Cronulla are one of the least watched, as I've demonstrated a number of times by providing TV ratings that show the former are regularly in the top six whereas the latter are in the bottom five. Cowboys have been strong off the field for 20 years and their initial problems were caused by the ARL putting hurdles in front of expansion sides such as the Reds, Cowboys, Warriors and Crushers to shield financially weak Sydney clubs like Cronulla.

John Grant provided an annual grant to all teams from 2013 onwards, to the tune of 130% of the salary cap. The fact Cronulla were still $5m in the red with no sponsors in 2017 shows they were not a financially viable club and would have been dead in the water without the annual grant. This wasn't the first time Cronulla has been in the red.

There was no annual grant of 130% in place when the Titans fell on hard times during the GFC. Cronulla never had to pull 18k fans through the gate to draw even due to exorbitant stadium rental fees. Cronulla never had to cover the flight and accommodation costs of 10 or more teams.

Cronulla is the only team I know of that almost went under after the grant was raised to 130% of the salary cap to cover the costs of running a football team.

Dragons and Tigers also needed assistance at one stage.

Dragons and Sharks are both from Southern Sydney and neither are financial powerhouses. What a surprise!

You'll ignore all of this because you're biased.
Man I actually thought you were taking the piss. I stand corrected.
The NRL OWNED both the Titans and The Knights during the period you are talking about. It was like this:
Knights - Owned by the NRL
Titans - Owned by the NRL
Dragons - had a loan by the NRL to survive
Tigers - had a loan by the NRL to survive

Gold Coasts problem occurred with two words - Michael Searle. Nothing to do with the Global crap
Newcastles problem occurred with two words - Nathan Tinkler

You are an "entertaining" poster.

Man I actually thought you were taking the piss. I stand corrected.
The NRL OWNED both the Titans and The Knights during the period you are talking about. It was like this:
Knights - Owned by the NRL
Titans - Owned by the NRL
Dragons - had a loan by the NRL to survive
Tigers - had a loan by the NRL to survive

Gold Coasts problem occurred with two words - Michael Searle. Nothing to do with the Global crap
Newcastles problem occurred with two words - Nathan Tinkler

You are an "entertaining" poster.
Michael Searle was at the helm when the trouble began, but it's been widely reported in the media that the construction of the Centre of Excellence and the GFC was their Achilles heel.

ARLC CEO David Gallop said so himself.

”We have received reports from our external accountants today that confirm the whole structure at the Titans is under considerable financial stress,” ARLC chief executive David Gallop said in a statement.

”We are working through the options around that but there needs to be an acceptance that the various arms of the group’s business are intertwined in terms of the level of debt and that will have ramifications as future options are explored.

”The game’s clear goal is to maintain a viable football club at the Titans. The issues around the building are creating an alarming diversion from what would otherwise be a successful expansion of our game into an important area.

I recommend you read this part of the page I just hyperlinked.

On February 27th 2013, the Titans announced they had signed a new stadium deal that would save as much as $300.000 in operating costs.

The GFC impacted how much money the Titans could borrow from the bank.

" The global economic crisis that is threatening the liquidity of several Sydney clubs hit the Titans late last year, when the club's bank withheld $4 million from a promised loan to fund a development to Skilled Stadium.

Gold Coast needed the money to complete a $30 million "Titansworld"
Centre of Excellence.

The bank had initially promised to contribute $18 million toward the venture, but changed its lending policy because of the financial crisis."

"As the Global Financial Crisis not only crippled the world’s economy but also the grand vision Michael Searle had for the Titans, the club was financially destitute and in need of support, and Watt put property developer Darryl Kelly in their lap."

Last edited:
@Get Rid of The Donkeys , what I read is that you are a hypocrite. You are willing to make up any excuse for a badly run Qld based team, but ignore the challenges that clubs have had elsewhere.
I suggest you read between the lines in what you have quoted.

”The game’s clear goal is to maintain a viable football club at the Titans. The issues around the building are creating an alarming diversion from what would otherwise be a successful expansion of our game into an important area.

This basically means "we need to do anything to keep this team afloat. NRL clubs have failed on the Gold Coast too many times. Now the AFL have a presence here we cannot give up ground no matter what"

So you harking on about other clubs from other states, without accepting that clubs in your own state have been in a far worse position, well it just stinks of hypocrisy, and truly shows how blinded you truly are from the world outside of Queensland.

mongoose

Coach
That's like saying we shouldn't go to Adelaide or Perth because it'll only appeal to Queenslanders, New South Welshman, New Zealanders and Brits who live there. It's incredibly short-sighted and symbolic of the our sport's refusal to see the value of sewing the seeds now and reaping the benefits later.

Melbourne only drew 9k at first, but now they're one of the highest drawing clubs in the league. It took time and investment. We now have an entire generation of kids in Melbourne who don't know what it was like to not have an RL club representing their city.

Dolphins will grow and expand their fanbase beyond their traditional boundaries over the next 10, 15 and 20 years to the point that kids from Logan, Redlands, Brisbane and Sunshine Coast won't see them as a team representing just 55k people. There's at least two people from Logan on this board who've adopted the Dolphins as their team, and I'm happy to say I'm one of them. I'll always be a Cowboys fan and have dual memberships, but the Dolphins will be just as important and mean just as much to me.

Steelers have no stake in the Dragons and it was always just a take over by St George, yet crowds at Wollongong have doubled since the Steelers went bust.
I don't understand what you are going on about with Perth/Adelaide... my point is you are criticising clubs like Cronulla and Penrith because they represent small areas in 1 city. I am saying how is Redcliffe any different? I hope you are right about the Dolphins and they can pick up supporters from all over Moreton Bay, Brisbane and Sunshine Coast but we will have to wait and see....

Perth Red

Post Whore
The big concern is the region they say they represent is a long way from the stadium they will play in. we know how hard it is to get RL fans to turn up to games. How many from Redcliffe/Northern Moreton Bay/Sunshine Coast are they realistically going to get turning out to Suncorp every other week. especially if they are to replace the Broncos on Thurs/Fri night slots?? I hope Im wrong but unless they get really dynamic in marketing and appealing to the whole of Brisbane then their crowds could make Sydney crowds look good!

Why I would have gone with the Firehawks bid and left Dolphins for team 19/20 when they had NRL standard stadiums in Redcliffe and Sunshine Coast to play out of.

mongoose

Coach
The big concern is the region they say they represent is a long way from the stadium they will play in. we know how hard it is to get RL fans to turn up to games. How many from Redcliffe/Northern Moreton Bay/Sunshine Coast are they realistically going to get turning out to Suncorp every other week. especially if they are to replace the Broncos on Thurs/Fri night slots?? I hope Im wrong but unless they get really dynamic in marketing and appealing to the whole of Brisbane then their crowds could make Sydney crowds look good!

Why I would have gone with the Firehawks bid and left Dolphins for team 19/20 when they had NRL standard stadiums in Redcliffe and Sunshine Coast to play out of.
If they market themselves in a smart way they could be a big club. I'm not 100% against the Dolphins. Redcliffe has an interesting history- it's where the first european settlers in QLD landed before the Brisbane river so the place is more than just another suburb.

@Get Rid of The Donkeys , what I read is that you are a hypocrite. You are willing to make up any excuse for a badly run Qld based team, but ignore the challenges that clubs have had elsewhere.

This basically means "we need to do anything to keep this team afloat. NRL clubs have failed on the Gold Coast too many times. Now the AFL have a presence here we cannot give up ground no matter what"

So you harking on about other clubs from other states, without accepting that clubs in your own state have been in a far worse position, well it just stinks of hypocrisy, and truly shows how blinded you truly are from the world outside of Queensland.
I think you need to educate yourself a bit and separate your feelings from the facts. You're not being objective and you're comparing apples with oranges.

The Gold Coast Chargers were the first "Gold Coast" club to actually be based on the "Gold Coast". They had money in the bank when they were culled by the ARL/News Ltd in 1999. Less viable Sydney clubs, like the Sharks, were kept around.

The Gold Coast-Tweed Giants and Gold Coast Seagulls were based in the tiny NSW city of Tweed Heads. Their failures are on NSW, but for some reason people from NSW like to call them a Queensland team.

There were extenuating circumstances that plagued the Titans from day one. You refuse to acknowledge them.

I think you need to take a good long hard look at the perilous history of Cronulla. It has been mired in debt for much of the last 25 years and was the worst performing Sydney club prior to the outbreak of COVID-19. In 2019 it was $5.45m in the red and had to shed staff. It is asset poor now that it has sold off a chunk of land and is burning through the profits of the sale at an alarming rate. At one stage it had a debt with the St George Bank that spiralled out to $14m, despite having a Leagues club full of pokies to fall back on. COVID-19 has allowed them to taper over the cracks with bailout money handed to all of the clubs to get through the crisis. The real test will be when COVID-19 is over and they have to rely on gate receipts, merchandise sales and sponsorship deals. History shows they just don't have enough fans to do well in these three areas.

"Sharks
2019 result: $5.45 million loss

Analysis: Long considered one of the NRL's financial strugglers, Cronulla's football club has been beset with money woes for years. It racked up almost $6 million in losses in 2019 and faces an overall $7.71 million black hole. Without the ongoing support of its leagues club entity it wouldn't exist and also had to deal with the NRL's salary cap fine last year. The Cronulla-Sutherland Leagues Club finished the last financial term with a $3.19 million operating deficit itself, but can boast $16 million in cash reserves and $30 million in total equity after selling off more property around its complex. After the reporting term it also secured another $12 million for selling airspace rights adjacent to the leagues club, which is closed for two years for redevelopment. While it may have cash reserves now, the group is asset poor compared to other NRL clubs and their backers, and will trade out of Kareela Golf Club after an amalgamation was finalised late last year. While it has money in the bank it is still a concerning time for the Sharks and their supporters."

"When the debt to St George Bank blew-out to $14 million three years ago, Cronulla’s survival was effectively in the hands of their bank manager."

Last edited:

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
I don't understand what you are going on about with Perth/Adelaide... my point is you are criticising clubs like Cronulla and Penrith because they represent small areas in 1 city. I am saying how is Redcliffe any different? I hope you are right about the Dolphins and they can pick up supporters from all over Moreton Bay, Brisbane and Sunshine Coast but we will have to wait and see....
The bloke just has an agenda against Cronulla & Penrith.

Starting to think this clown is a Courier Fail troll account.

I think you need to educate yourself a bit and separate your feelings from the facts. You're not being objective and you're comparing apples with oranges.

The Gold Coast Chargers were the first "Gold Coast" club to actually be based on the "Gold Coast". They had money in the bank when they were culled by the ARL/News Ltd in 1999. Less viable Sydney clubs, like the Sharks, were kept around.

The Gold Coast-Tweed Giants and Gold Coast Seagulls were based in the tiny NSW city of Tweed Heads. Their failures are on NSW, but for some reason people from NSW like to call them a Queensland team.

There were extenuating circumstances that plagued the Titans from day one. You refuse to acknowledge them.

I think you need to take a good long hard look at the perilous history of Cronulla. It has been mired in debt for much of the last 25 years and was the worst performing Sydney club prior to the outbreak of COVID-19. In 2019 it was $5.45m in the red and had to shed staff. It is asset poor now that it has sold off a chunk of land and is burning through the profits of the sale at an alarming rate. At one stage it had a debt with the St George Bank that spiralled out to $14m, despite having a Leagues club full of pokies to fall back on. COVID-19 has allowed them to taper over the cracks with bailout money handed to all of the clubs to get through the crisis. The real test will be when COVID-19 is over and they have to rely on gate receipts, merchandise sales and sponsorship deals. History shows they just don't have enough fans to do well in these three areas.

"Sharks

Analysis: Long considered one of the NRL's financial strugglers, Cronulla's football club has been beset with money woes for years. It racked up almost $6 million in losses in 2019 and faces an overall $7.71 million black hole. Without the ongoing support of its leagues club entity it wouldn't exist and also had to deal with the NRL's salary cap fine last year. The Cronulla-Sutherland Leagues Club finished the last financial term with a $3.19 million operating deficit itself, but can boast $16 million in cash reserves and $30 million in total equity after selling off more property around its complex. After the reporting term it also secured another $12 million for selling airspace rights adjacent to the leagues club, which is closed for two years for redevelopment. While it may have cash reserves now, the group is asset poor compared to other NRL clubs and their backers, and will trade out of Kareela Golf Club after an amalgamation was finalised late last year. While it has money in the bank it is still a concerning time for the Sharks and their supporters."

"When the debt to St George Bank blew-out to $14 million three years ago, Cronulla’s survival was effectively in the hands of their bank manager."

I know the faults of Cronulla, I’ve lived through them.
its hilarious that the fact is that you cant see that your initial statement about clubs being supported by the NRL brought a Qld side into the direct equation.
the fact is that the Titans were owned by the NRL, as were the Knights.
now scoot off and waste more of your time finding links for no reason, without finding one that says the Titans had to be bought and sold by the NRL.

What's your point?

Sydney is twice as big as Brisbane.

Sydney is NOT nine times bigger than Brisbane. (ie. 9 vs 1)

Sydney is NOT four and a half times bigger than Brisbane. (ie. 9 vs 2)

Sydney is NOT three tines bigger than Brisbane. (ie. 9 vs 3)

Sydney's teams are not anywhere as rich as the Broncos and routinely bleed more money than they make. The Cowboys, Raiders and Storm and more viable.

As you pointed out, Sydney was a suburban competition when these teams were created. The NSWRFL chose to expand and become national and had plans to rationalise Sydney in the 80s.

Not all suburban teams are fit to make the transition to a national league. For this reason, the strongest teams should have been kept and slightly rebranded so they could appeal to more than their local region. The ARLC has done exactly this with Redcliffe, who are financially stronger than most Sydney teams. Where the ARLC has shot itself in the foot is by refusing to do it with Sydney's teams. The only Sydney teams that have attempted to grow their brand are Dragons, Roosters, Rabbitohs and Tigers. They're all much bigger now than they were in the early 1990s.

Manly and Cronulla have remained insular and are among the perennial strugglers. Both would be on the scrapheap without the annual grant.

If we stick with nine Sydney teams then you can kiss goodbye to any possibility of having teams in Adelaide and Perth. If we don't have teams in Adelaide and Perth then we risk becoming a niche sport like RU.
Rubbish

Sharks have more than turned their financial position around

The club will post a small $57,000 profit for their past financial year – a major transformation from a $5.45 million loss in 2019 – a result even better than the wealthiest club in the NRL.

Brisbane reported a $470,000 loss last financial year (2019) after their worst season on the field, which saw them collect the wooden spoon and agree to a severance package with coach Anthony Seibold.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

1984-first-grade-side.jpg

Redcliffe's traditional jersey is predominantly red, similar to Illawarra's you dickhead!
And what has that got to do with it dickhead

I think GROTD was one of those kids at school that no one took much notice off or possibly liked.

So he uses this platform to vent his frustrations from his old school days and possibly work too as well and to promote his banjo strumming , cane toad loving and crocodile wrestling Queenslander state and views.

Even Kruddy said it Mr Rudd was "fond of telling people that once you leave Brisbane and cross the Pine River you can hear the sound of banjo music".

Seems to be obsessed with the place a kind of obsession love disorder perhaps.

Maybe a Tin Foil Hatter in training with his NRL/NSWRL/World/Universe against Queensland conspiracy theories

"Sharks

The Links you're basing your assumptions on aren't even current

Sharks - 5.45 mill loss for an example

The club will post a small $57,000 profit for their past financial year – a major transformation from a $5.45 million loss in 2019 – a result even better than the wealthiest club in the NRL.
wheres in the same period (2020)

Brisbane reported a $470,000 loss last financial year after their worst season on the field, which saw them collect the wooden spoon and agree to a severance package with coach Anthony Seibold.

I would question the Bronco's being the wealthiest though as what assets to do they have- seems their revenue is mostly generated from crowds/memberships and sponsors which could well take a hit depending on the impact the Dolphins have on these.

Brisbane Bronco's ownership

News Corp Australia (68.87%) BXBX Pty Ltd (9.79%) Lake Morepeth Pty Ltd (6.73%) Others (14.61%)

Perth Red

Post Whore
The Links you're basing your assumptions on aren't even current

Sharks - 5.45 mill loss for an example

wheres in the same period (2020)

Brisbane reported a $470,000 loss last financial year after their worst season on the field, which saw them collect the wooden spoon and agree to a severance package with coach Anthony Seibold.

I would question the Bronco's being the wealthiest though as what assets to do they have- seems their revenue is mostly generated from crowds/memberships and sponsors which could well take a hit depending on the impact the Dolphins have on these.

Brisbane Bronco's ownership

News Corp Australia (68.87%) BXBX Pty Ltd (9.79%) Lake Morepeth Pty Ltd (6.73%) Others (14.61%)

That was some creative commentary by the Sharks team. Their annual report shows a positive bottom line of $10.2mill for 2020, however that figure included the one off payment of $10mill from the developers in lieu of future income (needed to cash in to pay off debts and cover losses) from the commercial side of the development and a bonus $2.4mill one off for not playing at home so developers can get on with building. The problem for the Sharks is their football club generated revenue is woefully small. Maybe if they keep buying more pokie machines it will sort them out lol. anyway we digress.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
show me where they said they represent the redcliffe area only , as far as I was aware its everyone from North of the Brisbane CBD to the sunshine coast .
TBF they have been pretty non descript so far in who they represent other than the northern corridor and sunshine coast, maybe though they havent managed to align with the Falcons yet. Hopefully they have a great marketing plan ready to go that engages their target audience, especially those who live within a 30km radius of Suncorp!

Last edited:
TBF they have been pretty non descript so far in who they represent other than the northern corridor and sunshine coast, maybe though they havent managed to align with the Falcons yet. Hopefully they have a great marketing plan ready to go that engages their target audience, especially those who live within a 30km radius of Suncorp!
i see
so... they never said they represent an area a long way from suncorp then ?
🙄

Latest posts