What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has the footy become boring?

Has Rugby League (NRL) become boring?

• Yes

Votes: 21 22.1%
  • Maybe a little

Votes: 31 32.6%
  • No

Votes: 43 45.3%

• Total voters

Jono1987

Juniors
if you read back on my post before the one you quoted you would see i agreed with the OP to begin with all i'm saying is there has been PATCHES in some games that has been some what entertaining to watch. Granted i havn't watched many games due to the fact that 1. Broncos and Dragons are the main tv teams this year and 2 the footy quality atm is boring.

To be honest the problem is there are teams in the comp who like to 'grind' games out and there are teams who have entertaining players in their team who arnt clicking at this point in time which is proving to be f**king boring to watch and frustrating

Storm are a boring side apart from Slater.
Knights are trying to be a grinding team but just seem to fail
Dragons are the same old boring side
Tigers just not clicking
Eels have plenty of flair in their side but arn't clicking

Thanks for proving how geniused you really are. Nice. Eels are shit.

Irrespective if you have thought this season has been generally boring or not, the video ref killed the Dragons/Knights game. He should have definitely awarded two tries and a third was very contentious for the Dragons. Had those been awarded and the points ticking, the complexion of the game would have changed.

Karl

Juniors
League is fast paced, exciting and highly skilled. Superior athletes providing superior entertainment. It could never be boring.

franklin2323

Immortal
The top 4. Storm, Broncos, Cowboys & Bulldogs are no where near boring.

Dragons boring yes. Prior & Scott have spent time in the centres shows intentions imo. Newcastle are even worse but yet have attackers so it's strange. The problem is 2 of the best attacking teams Warriors & Tigers are going crap. The rest have moments in amongst the crap.

We aren't getting quick play the balls, The refs taking 90secs to allow scrums to be feed. The video refs taking 9 looks when in the 3rd you can see the result all add to less ball in play time & more stoppages. However when they are let go. It's mostly pretty good stuff.

Grapple

Bench
The Dogs game last night was not boring, but mostly it's been pretty boring. Had more interest lately in watching a bit of fumble ball as bad as that sounds. League is still not as boring as rugby union though.

Dogs/Melbourne match last night was a very good match. The sharks have also been another team I have enjoyed watching these past few weeks.

docbrown

Coach
Did someone say that the coaches challenge concept should replace the current video ref referral system?

I don't mind that idea depending on how it's set up.

eozsmiles

Bench
Assuming people like attacking play, then it is a bit boring compared to what we have seen at various stages. Defensive enthusiasts are few and far between. Nobody claps when the ball runner has his arms tied up for the 150th time in the game. Nobody cheers a 10 second play the ball except for the defensive coach. Coaches pretty much decide if their team played well by how they did at the ruck. Win the ruck and you win the game. The quality of "football" isn't as important as the quality of the wrestle.

Every press conference we hear the same thing from the losing coach - our ball control was poor, we didn't establish field position, we didn't control the ruck. Pretty rare for a coach to say that their team lost because they lacked attacking flair.They might question the last tackle options but they'll never say we needed more exciting play.

We get kids like Shaun Johnson who are exciting to watch. But they aren't even allowed to go into their bag of tricks until they have established field position. I saw Johnson go for a chip kick in his own half last week, he was hardly showered in praise for it. It kind of exemplified the point of why the Warriors aren't going any good - because their halfback doesn't know how to play modern footy.

Do what Cronk does and your team goes well - march the forwards upfield, few passes, kick long, look for Billy when we get into their half. Not exciting, just effective.

Iafeta

Referee
Assuming people like attacking play, then it is a bit boring compared to what we have seen at various stages. Defensive enthusiasts are few and far between. Nobody claps when the ball runner has his arms tied up for the 150th time in the game. Nobody cheers a 10 second play the ball except for the defensive coach. Coaches pretty much decide if their team played well by how they did at the ruck. Win the ruck and you win the game. The quality of "football" isn't as important as the quality of the wrestle.

Every press conference we hear the same thing from the losing coach - our ball control was poor, we didn't establish field position, we didn't control the ruck. Pretty rare for a coach to say that their team lost because they lacked attacking flair.They might question the last tackle options but they'll never say we needed more exciting play.

We get kids like Shaun Johnson who are exciting to watch. But they aren't even allowed to go into their bag of tricks until they have established field position. I saw Johnson go for a chip kick in his own half last week, he was hardly showered in praise for it. It kind of exemplified the point of why the Warriors aren't going any good - because their halfback doesn't know how to play modern footy.

Do what Cronk does and your team goes well - march the forwards upfield, few passes, kick long, look for Billy when we get into their half. Not exciting, just effective.

Nope, the problems are far deeper than that. Johnson ball in hand is fine. The problems are he's usually standing under his own goal posts due to a try being scored off a cheap turnover. The Warriors have been ordinary, any halfback would struggle with them so far.

ghostface

Juniors
I think the quality of this years footy has been really average. The unfortunate thing is every coach seems to be coaching the same defensive minded game plans. Apart from the storm who are blessed with 3 of the best players in the league the rest of the teams are simply boring.

Crazy Steve

Juniors
All the wrestling and crap is just destroying the game and making it really boring.

I still want the big hits, but I want to also free flowing attacking plays and to see the really creative, attacking players doing the unexpected i.e chip kick or cross field kick from your own 20m etc.

Over the years the game has seen some freakishly talented attacking players, e.g. Andrew Walker who do some unbelievable things but they are being massively blunted with all of this defensive wrestling nonsense. It harks back to the time when the interchange was unlimited, that was pretty crappy too, as the attacking players were always getting pummelled by big, fresh forwards.

Drop the interchange down to six, and stamp out all the wrestling and I think the game will be way more exciting.

wibble

Bench

Well I'm probably biased from the season's results so far, but I'm enjoying it. The Sharks are giving me heart attacks every week, definitely not boring, even with low scoring. They are making last effort tackles that you wouldn't believe when the opponent's have 10 and 20 tackles at their line- I would think that is exciting.

Flanagan also said after the Sharks v Penrith game that our completion rate was too good and we should throw it around more.

Dogs, Storm, Cowboys and Broncos have also been interesting, but only the Broncos are really getting FTA (and they are ALWAYS getting it so that can be repetitive) so plenty of people aren't getting a chance to see their good play. Souths have had their moments too, and are getting some FTA time. Tigers, Knights and Dragons have been poor in many games, and are getting the FTA time so that isn't helping.

Canberra had playmaker injury issues, as have Manly, and even the Eels. Their attack hasn't had much chance to develop yet. Roosters, Panthers and Warriors are up and down but not dour. Titans struggling but not trying to play negatively, have been OK to watch recently.

Eels Dude

Coach
I've turned off a few games not involving my team this year. Hell, last week I nearly turned off the Eels v Knights game it was just that boring too watch.

BranVan3000

Coach
The top teams are great to watch

I'm more worried about the spread of talent. It seems more and more players who really wouldn't have made it awhile ago are getting into the NRL. I think our quality of player is declining, and alot of that has to do with killing the reserve grade

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
They all play the same.

NO footballers around any more and with the interchange meaning players are always fresh, the risk of giving up field position is too big totake.

Three simple rules can change the game

1. Reduce the numbers of interchanges to 8 next year, with an aim of 6 plus 2 replacements a couple of years down the track.
2. Shorten the 10 metres to 8.
3. Bring back a contest for the ball in the tackle.

And a fourth one - if you are on the field as a forward, you have to pack into the scrum.

The other night Saints had three props, the half back, a centre and the fullback in the scrum.

Otherwise, just f**k scrums off all together.