What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have any players improved under MacGregor?

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
I know the last thing this forum needs is another thread on Mary's coaching ability, but I'm doing it anyway.

From what I've seen this year, practically every player has regressed under Mary's watch. From last year, Rein, Widdop, de Belin, Ah Mau, Marshall, all much worse. Matthews, Marketo, marginally worse. Cooper, Dugan, Thompson, Frizzel, Nighty, about the same. The only player that has noticeably improved in my opinion is Aitken, who as a centre may actually get something from Mary's coaching skill set.

I have excluded players like Packer, Mann and Milne who haven't been in first grade long enough to be de-skilled yet and Creagh who is obviously injured.

Bottom line is we're rooted in 2017 if Mary stays as coach.

Old Timer

Coach
Agree with everything except Aitken.
I think the rep football probably helped more than Mary in respect of his attack but I actually think his defence is a little worse although that can be compounded by the people around him, changing positions late in the season, lack of combinations due to injury.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Last season the backrowers improved immensely. Our backrow was up with the best and our defence was pretty solid so if you asked this question last year you would have said all the backrowers and probably Au Mau. Remember before Mary came along our pack was shocking. Soft and the laughing stock of the NRL. Mary did fix that last season with mostly the same cattle as Price had.

Unfortunately they all went backwards this season. Not sure what the F&^K happened.

giboz71

First Grade
From a skills perspective, no one. Rein and Dugan in particular never improved upon their weaknesses under Mary. I don't necessary blame Mary totally here. How a FG footballer doesn't know how to pass properly is beyond me. Thought you learnt that in U10's. Whatever the reason, the coaching staff were unable to help.

Widdop and Benji never learned to combine in almost 3 years together. Benji in particular, had no clue how to be an organizing half, and no one had the ability to teach him. But again with his price tag, should there have been a need to?

Last year, I gave Mary credit for man management and the side putting in most weeks. Defensively we were solid and our minds were almost always on the job. This made up for our lack of skills and this got us into the semis.This disappeared this year. Defensively we have been terrible and the errors we made week in week out was atrocious. Clearly whatever he did last year to keep the side switched on didn't work this year,

The horrendous results this year has been the result.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Not really and I don't feel Dean Young or Ben Hornby have helped either......the whole team has gone backwards this year under the 3 illawarra amigos.
It seems to be jason Demetriou and Matt Head that are the standouts in players development and should be rewarded in any coaching re structure for 2017.

watatank

Coach
Not really and I don't feel Dean Young or Ben Hornby have helped either......the whole team has gone backwards this year under the 3 illawarra amigos.
It seems to be jason Demetriou and Matt Head that are the standouts in players development and should be rewarded in any coaching re structure for 2017.

Head has done just about as much as Hornby/Young did two years ago with the U20s team and similar to Price back when the competition started...why does he have to get so much credit?

Coffs dragon

Bench
Head has done just about as much as Hornby/Young did two years ago with the U20s team and similar to Price back when the competition started...why does he have to get so much credit?
Because he left the club and tried his luck elsewhere away from the protected Boys Club environment and then returned a more experienced coach. I suppose time will tell, but he was always a smart ball playing half and i hope his knowledge may assist in our clubs greatest weakness.....a genuine top quality Halfback.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Jake Marketo has gone from a Queensland Cup level player to an NRL regular under McGregor. Quite a transformation!

That was in his first year. In his second I reckon he has shown no improvement whatsoever, and I would argue he has gone backwards to the point where many are questioning why is he even there.

watatank

Coach
Because he left the club and tried his luck elsewhere away from the protected Boys Club environment and then returned a more experienced coach. I suppose time will tell, but he was always a smart ball playing half and i hope his knowledge may assist in our clubs greatest weakness.....a genuine top quality Halfback.

That's cool but he mainly coached SG Ball. Let's not get too excited about the extensive experience he picked up elsewhere.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
No one has improved under McGregor.

There maybe some who has shown progression such as Packer, Mann, Milne and even Host.
Apart from Packer, who always had 1st grade potential and needed just to get fit. Mann and Milne actually developed in the Cutters before entering 1st grade and the same could be said of Host (U20's and Cutters). The point is they have improved under "other" coaches.
McGregor just wipes that away faster than you can blink.
Our team and players have a lot of improvement in them and under the right coach, every player will develop and reach their potential.
McGregor will just ruin their careers.