What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have you ever wondered...

nöyd

Staff member
...what became of your favourite (or in some cases not-so favourite) movie characters well after the camera stopped rolling?

I'll give you one character that I think of every time I hear about or see The Shawshank Redemption -

Captain of the Shawshank Prison guards, Chief Byron Hadley.

muz5IZt.jpg

(Please note that I am referring to the film, which I watched before reading the book, in which Hadley dies of a heart attack.)

I have to say, off the bat, that I loved this character, especially when he flogged the living hell out of Bogs after he put Andy in the infirmary after playing "hard to get" one too many times. In my eyes he became a reluctant anti-hero of sorts, we as the viewers were meant to despise this guy but here he was, getting Andy some revenge when he couldn't get it for himself (not that Andy would have tried for it anyway). It made me think that maybe this guy wasn't so bad after all, even if he did beat the snot out of Fat Ass, killing him, earlier in the film.

But back to my original point - what (in my opinion) becomes of Byron Hadley after he is arrested towards the end of the film? I see 2 distinct possibilities.

1) He ends up in Shawshank on the other side of the bars, of course, and despite the look of shame and sadness on his face that we see when he is arrested, he picks himself up, dusts himself off and becomes the meanest, toughest prisoner on the block. Having been on the other side, he knows the guards weaknesses, how to push their buttons, how to get what he wants and if it can't be done this way, he will resort to violence and murder if need be - either way he is feared by inmates and screws alike.

He carries himself so high and mighty, recruiting and surrounding himself with like-minded inmates, ready to do his bidding or be punished otherwise. He puts absolute fear in everyone, even the new Warden. He appears to wield more power now than when he was a guard.

2) He ends up in Shawshank on the other side of the bars, of course, and is a broken mess of a man, a shell of the authoritative figure he once was. This makes him an easy target for prisoners and guards, mostly prisoners - especially ones he gave a hard time when he was Captain of the guards. Put simply, he is murdered. Violently. Likely by fist and feet, kicked and punched til he can't bleed no more. Pretty much everyone gets a shot in, as he likely abused or bullied them in some way during his reign as a guard.

So that's it, that's what I think becomes of Byron Hadley "after the fact".

Interested to read others thoughts/theories/conspiracies on their favourite films and characters, Go nuts.

Generalzod

Immortal
I doubt it will be the first option if you look at the way he got arrested at the end of the film he was basically in tears, I say option 2 basically sums up his demise.

Latest posts