What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hayne~NFL~RU~Tits~Eels~Dad~Jailed~Mistrial~Jailed 5yrs~Retrial~Jailed~Appeal~Quashed-Sued

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Uhhh - god hasn’t got a great record when it comes to matters of justice.
In fact he / she / it set up a bit of a shitfight immediately following creation. God’s rap sheet is particularly poor when it comes to gender politics and sex crimes.
And that’s just for us JudeoChristian dudes. Other gods, before, during and after, have all had a pretty poor record.
If gods exist they’re probably unconcerned by your standards of judgement

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Offences against societal / civil standards are matters of law and judgment. Personally, I don’t think god and religion have any part in any justice system. In fact, I think it’s vitally important that religion and justice remain as separate as possible.
Justice is such an incomprehensibly unnatural phenomenon that it can only come from a religious paradigm.

emjaycee

Coach
I wonder why someone would choose to dismiss the framework, religious or otherwise, that has historically shaped Australian society and its legal system, just because they personally find it irrelevant today?

Mojo

Bench
Justice is such an incomprehensibly unnatural phenomenon that it can only come from a religious paradigm.
But…gods aren’t concerned about my standards … yet I should be judged by theirs.
No wonder it’s incomprehensible and unnatural.
Most people are very happy not to be judged according to other people’s religious paradigms.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
But…gods aren’t concerned about my standards … yet I should be judged by theirs.
No wonder it’s incomprehensible and unnatural.
Most people are very happy not to be judged according to other people’s religious paradigms.
Except we are all judged by unnatural paradigms imposed by others. Look at Hayne. Look at the victims of the Russian and Chinese revolutions.

Who decides what good is? Would all atheists agree?
The decision here would be intrinsic/individual, as per the original poster's words to "be a good man as best as you know how".

It's irrelevant in this scenario whether someone is doing that as an atheist or doing that within (or despite) a religious framework.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The decision here would be intrinsic/individual, as per the original poster's words to "be a good man as best as you know how".

It's irrelevant in this scenario whether someone is doing that as an atheist or doing that within (or despite) a religious framework.
My point is it’s all the same thing.

I wonder why someone would choose to dismiss the framework, religious or otherwise, that has historically shaped Australian society and its legal system, just because they personally find it irrelevant today?
Have you read much about the early days of the colonies? It would be hard to describe a lot of what went on in early "Australia" as being shaped by religious framework.

Mojo

Bench
Except we are all judged by unnatural paradigms imposed by others. Look at Hayne. Look at the victims of the Russian and Chinese revolutions.
That’s why we have a justice system separate from religions. Judges and juries rather than religious inquisitions. It’s a question of how rational and reasonable the system of judgment is. Religion has no place in justice.

Last edited:

emjaycee

Coach
Have you read much about the early days of the colonies? It would be hard to describe a lot of what went on in early "Australia" as being shaped by religious framework.
Yep, I'm well aware of the early history of Australia, and despite the often flawed and brutal behaviour of early colonists, the foundations and principles of our legal and social systems were still influenced by the religious values of the time, whether you like it or not.

Ignoring the fact that these frameworks were the basis of the society we have today seems a bit disingenuous to me.

Yep, I'm well aware of the early history of Australia, and despite the often flawed and brutal behaviour of early colonists, the foundations and principles of our legal and social systems were still influenced by the religious values of the time, whether you like it or not.

Ignoring the fact that these frameworks were the basis of the society we have today seems a bit disingenuous to me.
It can seem what you want it to seem I guess... if you want to see disingenuousity wherever you look, that's down to you.

But I wasn't ignoring those frameworks or their history. I was posing the question of whether someone can be "a good man as best as they know how" equally well outside of those frameworks as they might from within those frameworks. I believe someone can.

Mojo

Bench
One poor bloke was hanged the day after he ‘stole’ a hand full of beans! An entire Aboriginal family was summarily executed because their father stole an apple.
But … justice was served in the name of god.