What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hayne~NFL~RU~Tits~Eels~Dad~Jailed~Mistrial~Jailed 5yrs~Retrial~Jailed~Appeal~Quashed

I dont mean this to sound too critical of French but has anyone seen him play a really good game at fullback. I mean a MOM type performance??
My recollection is that he got a go last season and did not set the house on fire.

Got man of the match first round against Manly last year

I like Smith and I wont buy into the he is only a back up. He is 25 and was always a small frame so size held him back.. The guys worked hard to improve strength and skills and naturally filled out. He played 15 games for us last season and would of been more perhaps if wasnt injured start of season.
If he was too improve again this season its possible he becomes our starting fullback. Slim yes, but Bevans hardly cemented himself as of yet as a 14yrs NRL career guy.
I also reckon W.Smith was more consistent and had more games at a higher level that Bevan in 2017. 2 games Smith would of been close if not the best on field. Bevan i dont recall being in top 3 players once on the field in any game of 2017.
From what I have seen, Smith is every bit as good as French. at least in attack and not far off in D if behind at all.

strider

Post Whore
Yep. Hayne paired with a poor defensive half is bad news....
A lazy poor defender with another poor defender spells trouble

Hayne was poor in that game ... anyone who thinks otherwise is [choose one of: biased/deluded/covering]

I dont think his mind has been consistently on the game since his return to the NRL .... hopefully that will change

A lazy poor defender with another poor defender spells trouble

Hayne was poor in that game ... anyone who thinks otherwise is [choose one of: biased/deluded/covering]

I dont think his mind has been consistently on the game since his return to the NRL .... hopefully that will change
Hopefully the Civil case goes his way and all his demons go with it. A distracted Hayne is no good to anyone.

El Diablo

Post Whore
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...d/news-story/a65919ebe19d427dd00ed61a2ccbcc2b

Jarryd Hayne to be unleashed when Eels tackle Knights in Maitland

Paul Crawley, The Daily Telegraph
an hour ago

THE Maitland No. 1 Showground is a long way from the dizzy heights of the San Francisco 49ers’ home at Levi Stadium.

But for Parramatta’s Jarryd Hayne, the humble surroundings could turn out to be the perfect place to show everyone his heart is well and truly back in the NRL.

Four years after quitting the Eels to chase his NFL dream, Hayne is set to make his long-awaited blue-and-gold return in Saturday’s trial against Newcastle.

And the 30-year-old will strive to put to bed the rumours about his pre-season fitness struggles when the Eels take on the new-look Knights.

Only last August the Gold Coast’s all-time favourite player, Preston Campbell, questioned if Hayne was “interested in wanting to play footy any more”.

While he has copped plenty about his fitness since finishing last in a pre-season distance time trial on the Central Coast, coach Brad Arthur has praised Hayne’s commitment back at the club.

Arthur won’t reveal his squad until Wednesday but told The Daily Telegraph he would field his strongest available line-up for the first half.

The coach said the only unavailable players were Clint Gutherson, Siosaia Vave and Tony Williams. So the Hayne Plane is ready for takeoff.

Arthur said he aimed to settle on some combinations before the Eels’ round one game against Penrith.

“And this will be the final opportunity players have to cement a spot in the 17 for round one,” he said.

Hayne is expected to play at centre, not fullback. But it remains to be seen which side of the field he will play, given Michael Jennings has always favoured the left but did a great job last year on the right alongside Mitchell Moses.

Some say Hayne should be at fullback but he was outstanding at right centre in the 2013 World Cup and played on the left last year for NSW.

Arthur said Hayne’s placing in the time trial wasn’t due to attitude.

“He is never going to win that sort of stuff but you know what? When we are doing our footy stuff and speed work, he is in the best couple,” Arthur said.

“It was the same with Semi Radradra. Semi would be last but you have to remember they are different athletes.

“Jarryd’s attitude has been great, unbelievable.”

The Eels are fourth in pre-season premiership betting and Arthur said the battle for spots would be “very competitive”.

In particular, the Eels have a wealth of depth in the forwards and the pressure is on some experienced players to keep their place.

Which makes me very concerned about Moses and Hayne defending next to the each other.
I wouldn't be too concerned. If it isn't working the centres could just switch sides. And Jennings may not even move from the right anyway.

But no one's naming their side for the first few rounds, which we know won't include Gutho. So is Hoffman the man to fill in on the wing? Or Taka at centre (can he play left centre?) and Hayne wing?

Gronk

Staff member
^^^ That article :rolleyes:

BA wont confirm the team. He says that Gutho and the rest of the injured merkins are out, the rest are available.

Journo: Hayne ready to unleash !

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I suspect Hayne was always going to be a centre and was targeted for that role. It appears BA told Taka at the end of last year he will probably be playing in the forwards even before we signed Hayne.

So I reckon BA wanted a more mobile centre to play our defensive structure - pushing in and out as required.

While BA wanted some "taller" attacking forwards that are mobile and can offload - thus adding Evans / Taka to the pack. Both a pretty quick too for forwards and can offload.

T-Boon

Coach
Are people aware that the Maitland trial has sold out. If you are thinking of heading up just be aware of that.
I think they only allowed 7k ticket release which is crap because I am sure when Parra played at the same ground on 2001 they got about 10k and they would easily get that this time.
FYI half the crowd will be Eels fans because the Eels are huge in the Hunter Valley.

hindy111

Post Whore
How many games as Hayne played at centre in total?
4 maybe at Titans, 3 for nsw and how many for Australia?

Also how many consecutive games has he played at centre?

Anyone remember Auvau first game for the eels in 2017 at centre?

Id expect Hayne to be average at centre for the first 3 or 4 games but give him till about rnd 8 and a lot better.

You cant move a guy into a new position and expect him to be at his best. He would need time to learn and improve by making mistakes.

Gronk

Staff member
because the Eels are huge in the Hunter Valley

12347745_1105693972781811_33322920093674406_n.jpg

strider

Post Whore
^^^ That article :rolleyes:

BA wont confirm the team. He says that Gutho and the rest of the injured merkins are out, the rest are available.

Journo: Hayne ready to unleash !
You shouldnt blame journos for headlines and lead in paragraphs ... its f**kin editors

84 Baby

Referee
So no one else thinks the whole "Jarryd is unfit" thing is a cunning BA trap? That really he's the fittest merkin in the world and will tear the competition a new collective one?

I wouldn't be too concerned. If it isn't working the centres could just switch sides. And Jennings may not even move from the right anyway.

But no one's naming their side for the first few rounds, which we know won't include Gutho. So is Hoffman the man to fill in on the wing? Or Taka at centre (can he play left centre?) and Hayne wing?

Who says we can only have 2 centres? I think 'left centtre' and 'right centre' are contradictions in terms. We could have the first 'centre centre', or 'middle centre'.