What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hayne walking out on Titans.

The Realist

Juniors
I am talking '14 when Hayne was last with his beloved Parra and Brad Arthur when he dominated the competition.
Nobody is ever playing the way Hayne played in the second half of 09 again. That was a total RL anomaly even for back then. Relative to NRL coaches of the last decade and a half Anderson basically had a melt down to allow Parra to play with that level of magnificent freedom/reckless abandon.
8 years later coaches are even dumber and more conservative so its just not possible for that style of play to come about which allowed Hayne to put together the greatest 12 weeks any footballer of any code has ever put together in this country possibly the world.

Really dislike Parra but that run in 09 - I have never seen anyone play better than Hayne did then. He was God like on the field.

T-Boon

Coach
Really dislike Parra but that run in 09 - I have never seen anyone play better than Hayne did then. He was God like on the field.

He was. He was not just better, but a lot better than anyone else who has ever played. It has been something of a curse for him because he has never matched that dominance with any sustained consistency (maybe a half of football here or there) and therefore everyone interpreted that to mean he does not put in. When in reality it was/is as much about the coaching.

King hit

Coach
He was. He was not just better, but a lot better than anyone else who has ever played. It has been something of a curse for him because he has never matched that dominance with any sustained consistency (maybe a half of football here or there) and therefore everyone interpreted that to mean he does not put in. When in reality it was/is as much about the coaching.

The big problem for Hayne at Parra was that he had to play with deadset spuds and fringe first graders. That Eels spine at the back end of 2009 apart from Hayne was Robson, Mortimer and Keating. Deadset plodders at first grade. You can't do anything when you're surrounded by turkeys. Even then Hayne still used to top meters gained, line breaks etc and was really the only shining light in that rotten Eels team. Back in 2013 if you made Hayne and Slater switch teams you would've seen a major difference. Slater would've struggled in that Eels outfit.

T-Boon

Coach
was really the only shining light in that rotten Eels team.

The other shining light was the style of play. All that reckless offloading was awesome. At the time I thought it was going to revolutionise the game and that approach would take off. During the 09 off season all my Eels mates where like "all we need to do is add a bit of structure and discipline", and I would bitch slap them...then I heard Anderson saying the same and I knew it was over.

Reactions: Vee

The_Shield

Juniors
Slater would've struggled in that Eels outfit.
I’ve never gotten this. Why are you so certain that one of, if not the, greatest fullback of all time would of struggled?

Haynes form in 09 is massively overrated, yes he was good but hardly untouchable as most seem to think. Ben Barba was just as good in 2012, if not better, seeing as how Hayne was only good for about half the season. Thurston, Slater, Smith etc have been playing at that level for the majority of their careers

T-Boon

Coach
I’ve never gotten this. Why are you so certain that one of, if not the, greatest fullback of all time would of struggled?

All there really is to go on is the 2008 GF when Slater was only surrounded by 3 super stars rather than the 4 or more that he needs.
I mean that performance of Billy's was almost Benny Hill or three stooges in hilarity. It was like watching Craig McLaughlin do comedy. He actually quit several times through the game. You had to get up and turn the TV off out of embarrassment for the guy.
Put him in with workmen and he would just be a putz with above average speed. I am thinking Lee Oudenryn.

Last edited:

Vee

First Grade

Haynes form in 09 is massively overrated, yes he was good but hardly untouchable as most seem to think. Ben Barba was just as good in 2012, if not better, seeing as how Hayne was only good for about half the season. Thurston, Slater, Smith etc have been playing at that level for the majority of their careers
Nup, can't agree. He was unbelievable in the 2nd half of the season.

Pedge1971

First Grade

No they havent. Hayne carried an extremely mediocre team on his shoulders to a GF and wasnt far off getting them home.

All of the other names have played in very strong teams across the park when enjoying success with club and state.

The_Shield

Juniors
No they havent. Hayne carried an extremely mediocre team on his shoulders to a GF and wasnt far off getting them home.

All of the other names have played in very strong teams across the park when enjoying success with club and state.
Whenever someone talks up Hayne it’s always the same thing. He carried a shit team all the way to the grand final.

But, that eels team had some good players. Hindmarsh, Cayless, MoiMoi, Grothe jr, Burt, Mateo, Galuvao, Mannah. Not to mention Mortimer had an impressive season. I’m sick of hearing how it was all Hayne and the rest of the team was shit