What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hayne: We can't match most rivals for talent

Manly starting pack for round one.

Is our starting pack really that bad? Are we really that far behind in playing talent ?

I was thinking the same thing looking through a lot of the line ups - check out the dogs backline, the titans, dragons, tigers & panthers. They're not any better than ours. Fair enough we haven't improved the roster too much, but the people we did get I reckon will go ok + blokes like Blair, Morgan, allgood & sio will all be better off after getting a run last year. I was interested reading the interview with Paulo during the week & him talking about toughening up, but also said that sticky has said to have a go if there is something on.

Anyways, it's all about how sticky brings them together. I'm going to the game with my old man for the first time in a few years, hes a sagacious old merkin & he reckons we'll go all right this year.

Parraren

Bench
Hayne is that good that we are a real chance of winning 50% of our games this year.

We're an honest chance at 8th spot (but no higher) if Hayne is fit. Without him it's a battle to avoid the spoon it's that simple.

I reckon that's the goal sticky has set the side - he's a realist but he's not a defeatist. They'll talk it down all year but 8th will be the goal.

Redback71

First Grade
there were massive glimisses there of the talent the back line possess last year, they just need to play for 80mins instead of 10, and get the defence in order.

bartman

Immortal
They didn't expect to be favourites for our round one game, obviously trying to talk us back down into the underdog role....

Eels Dude

Coach
there were massive glimisses there of the talent the back line possess last year, they just need to play for 80mins instead of 10, and get the defence in order.

It's just a shame our backline is so weak in defence. Sandow, Sio, and Blair open more holes to concede tries than they do score them.

oldmancraigy

Coach
I can see Horo having a great year and becoming the next Eel that got away. Buhrer is nothing better then a solid utility player, I don't know why he gets the wraps he does. Who is Brenton Lawrene??

Horo turns 27 this year, and he still hasn't proven that he can produce consistently in FG.

If he gets it together, well and good, but I think we gave him a good 3 seasons of trying to give him the opportunity. No issue with him being gone, and if he does well, good luck to him.

Eels Dude

Coach
Horo turns 27 this year, and he still hasn't proven that he can produce consistently in FG.

If he gets it together, well and good, but I think we gave him a good 3 seasons of trying to give him the opportunity. No issue with him being gone, and if he does well, good luck to him.

I'd be disappointed we let Horo go a year early but didn't replace him with anyone, only for him to fire for Manly this year. That's just a waste.

Sphagnum

Coach
When he was interviewed on field after scoring that try in the all stars game, I immediately noticed the difference in his ability to articulate coherent sentences. Somebody has worked hard in the off season to make sure they are capable of conducting meaninful interviews and saying the right things in a sensible, understandable manner.

This interview proves it's not just the way he says it but the content as well. My hat goes off to him. Not an easy thing to sort out in such a short space of time.

Coach and Captain both imploring their team to step the f**k up this season. Very subtle way of saying;

'Prove your worth because nobody believes the team has any talent. Don't tell them they are wrong, PROVE them wrong, ya useless merkins'

I predict the Warriors by 30+ unfortunately. I genuinely hope I'm wrong.

Utey

Coach
Agree with Spags, at the Captains preso he was much more clear in the way he presents himself, maintained eye contact too!

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I predict the Warriors by 30+ unfortunately. I genuinely hope I'm wrong.

Don't get why most are so certain the warriors are going to win this week - they only finished 2012 with two extra wins then us and their coach Matty Elliot does not have much form in getting results quickly or at all. If Elliot's past form is an indicator, the warriors may have defence that makes the eels 2012 defensive effort look ok.

Sphagnum

Coach
Don't get why most are so certain the warriors are going to win this week - they only finished 2012 with two extra wins then us and their coach Matty Elliot does not have much form in getting results quickly or at all. If Elliot's past form is an indicator, the warriors may have defence that makes the eels 2012 defensive effort look ok.

Basing it on what I saw when the warriors played brisbane a couple of weeks ago.

Thought the Warriors looked pretty good in that game, even though it was still only a trial.

guruminga

Juniors
I reckon we looked pretty good in our trials last year or the year before. We even beat the Warriors in game one and it was a slide after that if I remember correctly.

G

Latest posts