What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hayne 'winks' after Dive - Telegraph

philstorm

Juniors
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22467903-5001023,00.html

ENRAGED Melbourne players last night accused Parramatta fullback Jarryd Hayne of committing "a low act" after Storm interchange forward Jeremy Smith started grand final week on report for a high tackle.

In the most savage attack on a rival player by any team in 2007, the minor premiers followed up their hard-fought 26-10 preliminary final win at Telstra Dome by accusing the Eel of winking after Smith was reported for a 63rd minute high shot on him, on the advice of video referees.

Parramatta players in turn were calling for Storm stars to be charged today over an illegal hold which left their captain Nathan Cayless with a pectoral muscle injury.

"I just think it's a low act, laying down when he wasn't even hurt. He should have played the ball," Smith told The Daily Telegraph last night, several hours after the Storm qualified for their third premiership decider.

"I didn't see (the wink). A lot of the boys said they saw it.

"I was surprised. When he went down, I knew he was lying down."

In the Eels' rooms, Hayne did appear dazed and disoriented when asked if he had any recollection of the incident. "Not really, eh" is all he said.

But Storm second rower Newton was even more scathing towards Hayne, who was also accused of diving by Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett earlier this season.

"I thought it was a pretty piss-poor performance from Jarryd Hayne, to be honest," said Newton, into the grand final after swapping clubs mid-season. :)lol: - Expecting to hear from Knights fans after this comment)

"To lay down like he did and then get up and wink.

"Straight after he got up, he winked at Dallas Johnson - facing us. I know Michael Hagan wouldn't coach that, so it's the player."

I didn't think that Hayne had dived, but if the guy is stupid enough to get up and wink at the opposition then serious questions probably have to be asked as to whether or not he did dive.

Nikki

Coach
If there is video footage of ANY player winking after laying down (ala Gallen) then they should be charged. But for pure speculation "I didnt see it but someone else did" well then they better watch their words too coz it can be taken as slander.

And it wasnt just Caylos arm they had a go at either.. Cant grapple the neck, oh well the shoulder is just as close :roll:

Eelementary

Post Whore
If he did take a dive, that's a shameful act and I, for one, am ashamed. And my gut feeling is leaning towards thinking he did take a dive.

However, this whole "oh, some of my teammates reckoned he winked" defense is just nonsense. He may well have winked - it's a possibilty. Just like him not having winked is a possibility.

Nook

Bench
What a load of bollocks this whole "shame, shame, shame" line about diving is.

If Hayne did "dive" - which is a strange term for staying ont he ground after you get whacked on the chin with a swinging arm - then good luck to him. He's trying to get his team through to the grand final. You do it.

Two ways to stop it:

a) stop tackling illegally. Illegal tackles deserve to be penalised.
b) stop awarding penalties based on replays. Stops diving but let's people who commit the (in my view) more serious act of whacking someone in the face get away with it.

What I really can't cop is someone like Newton coming out and having a whinge about it. This bloke has built a career out of trying to run over halfbacks out wide - and usually failing. I almost had a heart attack today when he took a hit up up the middle of the ruck. If he's going to go around providing free character analysis he'd be better served applying the blowtorch to himself after he dogged his club and his teammates because he couldn't cop a coach who presumably told him that he's an overrated hack.

badav

Bench
this is the 3rd time Jarryd Hayne has been labelled a diver. I mean only he knows whether he stayed down on any of the 3 incidents but you do see a trend forming. He obviously isnt winning much respect with his attitude, despite his talent and needs a coach to squeeze the cockiness out of him.

Cletus

First Grade
I agree with you Nook in that he's only doing it because the referee missed it. Still a low act and I'd be willing to bet that the NRL will introduce a charge of simulation next year.
If the video ref could alert the referee to an act of foul play after the play the ball it wouldn't happen. But that introduces other problems like the broadcaster effecting the outcome of the game.
But he's still a dog and I'd love to see him get charged with contrary conduct or whatever.

Jake86

Juniors
I thought it was a dive too, but obviosly its pure speculation. He often gets holding down penalties for his side too, and it sometimes looks like he himself holds onto the other player

I could be wrong tho

lionheart008

Juniors
If there was ever an example of a dive then that was it. It was high but laying flat of your back and then making a miraculous recovery is pretty obvious. I hope a camera angle captured this alleged wink.

badav said:
this is the 3rd time Jarryd Hayne has been labelled a diver. I mean only he knows whether he stayed down on any of the 3 incidents but you do see a trend forming. He obviously isnt winning much respect with his attitude, despite his talent and needs a coach to squeeze the cockiness out of him.

IMO he is a good player but these little aspects will continue to taint the respect he has earned for his performances...a "dive" is a fairly low act and if he keep up these antics he will soon be nicknamed "Louganis".;-)

Whoosh

Juniors
I'm with you Lionheart. I'd love to see the wink on camera and see him suspended for "bringing the game into disrepute". Hayne's not a big enough star yet to be carrying on like that

woodyk2

First Grade
Ask anyone with medical experience about being knocked and what happens to breathing patterns whilst in la la land. He took a dive...pure and simple.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
If the jury was ever out, on Hayne and these tactics, yesterday confirmed it for everyone. Sure it's not illegal, and it helped the video ref pick up an illegal high tackle that should have been picked up by the ref or a sideline official, but it's still a gutless act. And not necessary. The instant replay would have been picked up by the video ref and the penalty called back anyway.

I eagerly await the Hayne cheer squad to come to his defence this time. Or have their heads finally been wrenched out of the sand.

hindmarsh4pm

Juniors
hahaha newton talking about piss weak, look at yourself you tosser, leave a club and have a cry and walk out when the going gets tough....if melbourne go onto win it, he is one player who doesn't deserve the ring