What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hayne.

Murf

Juniors
Good to see him finally getting the wraps on here that he deserves with most people finally having him in his best position in their Origin teams. Been NSW's best fullback for most of his career and arguably the best in the world for a part of it as well.

I have to ask what has made most people come around though? He was playing better in 09 than he is now, is it just the fact that he has now been around for long enough that he is no longer a "flash in the pan"?

Someone

Bench
He has been injured on and off since the start of 2010, which is also one of the reasons we've been spooners for 2 years IMO.

He is currently quite fit (still nursing a shoulder injury and played with it against sharks hence poor one v one defensive game) so people just assume without looking at the facts he is pulling his finger out. On his day i still think he is the best player in the world. Its a matter of keeping him on the field.

Springs

First Grade
It's because he has been playing injured. In 2011 and 12 he had some average games. 2013 was ok but hard to shine in that team with that coach.

This year has been his best form since 09. Must be something about World Cups that gets this guy going.

Parra Pride

Coach
It's because he has been playing injured. In 2011 and 12 he had some average games. 2013 was ok but hard to shine in that team with that coach.

This year has been his best form since 09. Must be something about World Cups that gets this guy going.

Rep games in general, he is one of those players that just steps up big time in rep footy. His entire Origin career is a testament to that, and finally getting a good crack at an Australian jumper last year showed it even more.

I think one of the bigger reasons though is that you put him anywhere in that back line and he will be one of, if not the best player on the field. He has been the best player for NSW from the wing on many occasions, and in the World Cup he was easily one of Australia's best in all games he played in the centres. This year though, he finally has some decent supporting acts around him at Parra, and as a result is able to show just how damn good he is at fullback. I think he is playing so well at the moment, quite possibly the form fullback of the comp, that you just can't play him anywhere else.

Hayne is Hayne. The only difference this year is that Parra is actually playing well. Hayne has always looked good behind am awful parra outfit and he's always stood up for NSW.

Btw did anyone read Ricky Stuart's article on his greatest NSW team ever? He had Hayne on the wing!!! This is the same guy who said that Hayne wasn't a winger and left him out of the NSW side! Hayne is so good that he even made Ricky eat his words!

Hayne is Hayne. The only difference this year is that Parra is actually playing well. Hayne has always looked good behind am awful parra outfit and he's always stood up for NSW.

Btw did anyone read Ricky Stuart's article on his greatest NSW team ever? He had Hayne on the wing!!! This is the same guy who said that Hayne wasn't a winger and left him out of the NSW side! Hayne is so good that he even made Ricky eat his words!

Stuart is a Wuckfit.

gronkathon

First Grade
Getting de-Stickified is a similar process to depressurisation in many ways.

It has to be taken slowly to avoid damaging side effects.

Hayne seems to have negotiated the final protocols and returned to being talented

timka4

Bench
He has been injured on and off since the start of 2010, which is also one of the reasons we've been spooners for 2 years IMO.

He is currently quite fit (still nursing a shoulder injury and played with it against sharks hence poor one v one defensive game) so people just assume without looking at the facts he is pulling his finger out. On his day i still think he is the best player in the world. Its a matter of keeping him on the field.
I agree with this. He coped a lot of critism because he was 'lazy' for paramatta over the past few years when I don't think that was the case. He might of occasionally looked disinterested but could you blame him? look at the team he was playing for lol

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
He is still playing injured which is why his defence is sub standard but Artur feel's having him at 75% is better than not having him at all.

His shoulder will need to be 100% to play Origin, especially if he gets selected at fullback.

gUt

Coach
I've said for years he's the only player that would walk into the Qld backline (granted there's a couple more now).

typicalfan

Coach
Yeah and Inglis has been the Maroons best outside back for a long time but he won't be picked at fullback.

The whole debate about Hayne at fullback isn't based on his talent so much as the talent of the other players.

Is Brett Stewart or Josh Dugan better than Jennings or Morris?

League_God

Juniors
Yeah and Inglis has been the Maroons best outside back for a long time but he won't be picked at fullback.

The whole debate about Hayne at fullback isn't based on his talent so much as the talent of the other players.

Is Brett Stewart or Josh Dugan better than Jennings or Morris?

If we had Thurston, Cronk, Cherry-Evans and Lockyer to choose from as our halves then maybe you would put Hayne at centre and Stewart or Dugan at fullback (although i personally wouldnt).

But when you have the choice of a turd sandwich (Pearce) and a douche (Maloney) as your halves then you pick a fullback who is going to take some playmaking pressure off your halves. Hayne fits the bill better than any fullback in the game.

Also, I dunno if this is a crazy idea but it makes sense to me that you'd pick your best player in his best position.

This is why Hayne should be the number 1.

P.S Jennings > Morris > Stewart > Dugan.

typicalfan

Coach
Brett Stewart has a brilliant attacking playmaking game but what Hayne has over him is his tackle breaking and kick returns. But the general rule with rep teams is you find a way to include as many quality players as possible.

Personally I don't think Josh Morris holds a candle to Brett Stewart, Josh Dugan maybe but his combination with his brother will probably get him over the line.

I am not saying I disagree with Hayne at fullback, I'd name him there. But this isn't the Hayne show either and the debate isn't questioning his talent.

League_God

Juniors
Brett Stewart has a brilliant attacking playmaking game but what Hayne has over him is his tackle breaking and kick returns. But the general rule with rep teams is you find a way to include as many quality players as possible.

Personally I don't think Josh Morris holds a candle to Brett Stewart, Josh Dugan maybe but his combination with his brother will probably get him over the line.

I am not saying I disagree with Hayne at fullback, I'd name him there. But this isn't the Hayne show either and the debate isn't questioning his talent.

Stewart is a fantastic link in the backline. Evans to Foran to Stewart is usually how it goes. He can't do the shit Hayne does at club footy getting in at first and 2nd receiver and creating opportunities from there.
I'd also argue that while Stewart is a brilliant link, Hayne probably still edges him there.

I actually wish to retract my previous statement and admit I was slightly off with the stewart and morris comparison.
Stewart when fit is better than Morris and probably on par with Jennings (maybe better?) when he's fit and firing.

and that will be vital for a NSW fullback considering he won't get much space to work with