What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heart and Soul of the Mighty Saints

In our most dire moment, it may be appropriate to remember what St. George is all about and what it means to wear the big Red V
Forget the "Dragons" forget the Illawarra suffix.
St. George means St. George and nothing else. We are and always will be "The Saints"
I came across this mini documentary that reminded me how this club became so great.
To the management and administration - pay attention

Banjo2014

Juniors
We are the St George Boys
We had a game today
We are the boys you know of
Who show them how to play

No matter where you be
The red and white you'll see
Now aren't we a wonderful credit
To our locality

As I menaioned before I was taken by my father on Saturday 15 June 1863 from Kogarah Hospital after being born on 13th and taken to my first "Saints" game - well that is the yarn my dad used to tell everyone .....

All the ladies that my mum used to hang out with at the footy work little saint lapel pins - the type seen on Roger Moore's Saint program - stick figure with the halo.

We are the Saints - now I spend most of my time in the States and Asia - I follow New Orleans - they are Saints mad like we used to be in the sixties, seventies and eighties

red rocket

Juniors
In our most dire moment, it may be appropriate to remember what St. George is all about and what it means to wear the big Red V
St. George means St. George and nothing else. We are and always will be "The Saints"
I came across this mini documentary that reminded me how this club became so great.

Thanks Dennis that was great to watch

possm

Coach
We had a game today

No matter where you be
To our locality

As I menaioned before I was taken by my father on Saturday 15 June 1863 from Kogarah Hospital after being born on 13th and taken to my first "Saints" game - well that is the yarn my dad used to tell everyone .....

All the ladies that my mum used to hang out with at the footy work little saint lapel pins - the type seen on Roger Moore's Saint program - stick figure with the halo.

We are the Saints - now I spend most of my time in the States and Asia - I follow New Orleans - they are Saints mad like we used to be in the sixties, seventies and eighties

I'm 64 and I can remember my grandfather teaching me that song. However, I was disgusted to hear South Sydney singing it after a game - obviously replace the words St George with South Sydney.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
We had a game today

No matter where you be
To our locality

Forgotten all about those pins.

Had a couple of those ‘Saints’ with the halo, pins. Dad used to bring home all sorts of things from the club during the late sixties, early seventies.

Still got the Red & White Marist Bros school tie as well...... ahhh, those were the days!

Bench
We had a game today

No matter where you be
To our locality

15 June 1863. You have being suffering longer then anyone

Saintsified

Bench

"With the money we had, we went out and bought"

But nah this current mob believes we had to merge for a junior base.

Meanwhile at the Roosters d'oh

ouryears

Bench
Yo
Roosters have no soul.
You aren’t listening, we used to buy the best players.
And we had soul.
And we couldn’t stop winning.
From that to the merkins who are an embarrassment today.
To Widdop with his painted hair, to hunt who cries about anything, to JDB who smiles and jokes after a loss, I could go on but won’t.
It’s embarrassing what we have become.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
We had a game today

No matter where you be
To our locality

Nowadays, bloody Manly uses what used to be the Saints’ victory song.

:rage:

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Yeah well I don't follow soul. Few years and we will drop to 3rd in the all time premierships if not careful.
I thought the thread was about heart and soul? Sorry it was just an observation that despite Roosters buying seemingly all the best they haven't won much more than us in reality, they do ok to make preliminary finals just about every year but how many premierships have they actually won since 2010 - same as us.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Yo

You aren’t listening, we used to buy the best players.
And we had soul.
And we couldn’t stop winning.
From that to the merkins who are an embarrassment today.
To Widdop with his painted hair, to hunt who cries about anything, to JDB who smiles and jokes after a loss, I could go on but won’t.
It’s embarrassing what we have become.
I didn't say we had no soul, I said the Roosters have no soul, no matter who they buy and what they do.

Saintsified

Bench
I thought the thread was about heart and soul? Sorry it was just an observation that despite Roosters buying seemingly all the best they haven't won much more than us in reality, they do ok to make preliminary finals just about every year but how many premierships have they actually won since 2010 - same as us.
They will overtake ouf tally within 5 to 10 years if our club doesn't wake up.

ouryears

Bench

Thanks Dennis, as a kid I went to every SCG match of the week, always Saints vs someone. Watching Smithy, Changa, King, Beath, Rasmussen, Gaz, and others was such a wonderful childhood and teenage years. Lost some, but never ever ever thrashed, never gave in, loved that team, won 85% of all matches.

Damn it’s painful to see the club we have become.
Never before, never again.
Thanks god I was lucky enough to live through the great days, the memories still bring me joy.

theo

Juniors
Our faith in sport, as in life, is repeatedly tested.

Saint George was a Greek who was sentenced to death for refusing to recant his Christian faith. He became one of the most honoured saints in Christianity. His parents Polychronia, Gerondios, were also sentenced to death for refusing to recant their Christian faith.

https://www.johnsanidopoulos.com/2012/04/saints-gerontius-and-polychronia.html

Armed with the Greekness of Saint George, I feel comfortable and a sense of connection.

Our faith in sport, as in life, is repeatedly tested.

Saint George was a Greek who was sentenced to death for refusing to recant his Christian faith. He became one of the most honoured saints in Christianity. His parents Polychronia, Gerondios, were also sentenced to death for refusing to recant their Christian faith.

https://www.johnsanidopoulos.com/2012/04/saints-gerontius-and-polychronia.html

Armed with the Greekness of Saint George, I feel comfortable and a sense of connection.

I love your greekness!!

Can we call in Leonidas and 16 more Spartans for next week.

We need some real leadership and a return to the no surrender mindset of the Saints of old.

denis preston

First Grade
Well i didn't know that the licenced club on the intersection of Rocky point rd & the princess hwy was a money spinner, guess it must have been to outlay the millions to construct the Tahg. As good as we like to think our administration was the millions made each year was a bloody good start.Make no mistake we had a bit of Roosters about us before the Roosters !

Latest posts