What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help me understand my loss of love for the Raiders

Stewbum

Juniors
As a boy growing up in the early 1980s I of course followed the most Important competition in the world - the Brisbane Rugby League. And even back then I was a contrarian, I lived on the south side of Brisbane but chose as my till death do us part team to follow - the "Be on a winner" Redcliffe "BP" Dolphins.

I also watched with intrigue this other football on tv once a week and had initial childish inclinations towards the Newtown Jets. That was until I saw the fluoro green. From that day on I followed two teams, one 50 kms north, and one 1500km south.

I grew equally passionate about the two teams' fortunes and loved the connection between Brisbane clubs and the Raiders. I proudly wore my Woodgers jersey everywhere and donned matching socks for good luck every time they played.

With the advent of the Broncos I grew more fierce in my support of the Raiders than even the Dolphins. I hated the Broncos for destroying the local comp.

At the time of the war I became disillusioned and had my own car so made a fortnightly pilgrimage to Dolphin Oval. I leaned again more heavily to the mighty Phins. I attended my last Raiders game at ANZ Stadium (Brisbane) and put up huge banner at the stadium which perplexed as many as it angered - "Bring back the Lime Green ARL Raiders!!!!! - Superleague Sucks!" it cried.

The split and the new jersey somehow changed me. My Raiders were no longer existed. They had traded the Lime for Baby shit green. The stars of my youth had also retired, and the links to the BRL clubs had seemingly ended. I lost all interest in the Raiders and followed the South Qld Crushers until their demise. They had Qld players - they had REDCLIFFE Players! I also followed Wests in the ARL until their demise. I was at the final Crushers game V Wests wearing a Wests jersey underneath my Crushers jersey. My Woodgers though almost in rags, kept neatly folded at home.

After the war the war it was Redcliffe only.

Then to my shock one day the Broncos signed a deal with Redcliffe. I began to see my heroes like Shane Perry don a Donkeys jersey. They won a premiership. I was there! I cheered for them. A side I'd hated since 1988.

Around then the Raiders brought back the Lime and a I felt flicker of feeling in my heart. But it faded. I watch them with good will but that is all I can muster.

I've travelled to Canberra to see games.

What can the Green Machine do to re-win the love of a Queenslander?

Perhaps thumping Cronulla this weekend will be a start?

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
Youre a pretty fickle supporter mate. If the shade of the Jersey and Shane bloody Perry can make you switch clubs the donkeys are welcome to ya.

Stewbum

Juniors
Youre a pretty fickle supporter mate. If the shade of the Jersey and Shane bloody Perry can make you switch clubs the donkeys are welcome to ya.

Yes fickle indeed. 35 consecutive years I've followed my club now. How many for you sunshine?

I knew there'd be posts like this but I do await genuine debate.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
One of the Raiders cheerleaders pointed at you. Two security guards lifted you up out of your seat. Carried you outside, swung you like a hammock before throwing you out of Bruce Stadium. Now like the Righteous Brothers "you've lost that loving feeling, whoa that loving feeling, YOU LOST THAT..."

Hawkins

Juniors
Been a fan for the past five years buts that is only because I only moved to Canberra five years ago.

From Western Sydney I could never really get into a team because of the weird boundaries.

I'm not from Penrith, Parramatta or Campbelltown but I lived near all three and I tried over the years.

So I support the Raiders because I love league and I live in Canberra. Good seasons or bad I have begun to bleed green.

Stewbum

Juniors
One of the Raiders cheerleaders pointed at you. Two security guards lifted you up out of your seat. Carried you outside, swung you like a hammock before throwing you out of Bruce Stadium. Now like the Righteous Brothers "you've lost that loving feeling, whoa that loving feeling, YOU LOST THAT..."

Now this is creative at least. Well done! But alas no, I have never been evicted from the Bruce. Is it still a carpark trying to get out after a game?

Stewbum

Juniors
Been a fan for the past five years buts that is only because I only moved to Canberra five years ago.

From Western Sydney I could never really get into a team because of the weird boundaries.

I'm not from Penrith, Parramatta or Campbelltown but I lived near all three and I tried over the years.

So I support the Raiders because I love league and I live in Canberra. Good seasons or bad I have begun to bleed green.

Thank you for being the first to reply to my post. As I mentioned it was always some contrarian x-factor that determined my support initially. But like you I've started to lean towards the donkeys or indeed any Qld team because I'm a Queenslander first.

I've always found it weird how many Territorians consider themselves New South Welshmen. Do you think this is because (my perception only) NSW considers the ACT its own property.

Stewbum

Juniors
Now for you kids here, once upon a time there were two competitions: The BRL and the NSWRL. NSW supporters new only that you could buy great players on the cheap up north. But we followed both comps, some people more the southern, but most the BRL more. Our southern club was always our "second" club from that other comp. This is not something I reckon you guys can get your head around.

Hawkins

Juniors
I've always found it weird how many Territorians consider themselves New South Welshmen. Do you think this is because (my perception only) NSW considers the ACT its own property.

Maybe but I guess I think of myself as a New South Welshmen mainly at Origin time otherwise I say I'm from Canberra, I kinda leave the past behind me.

Stewbum

Juniors
Oh I intend to. I do wonder at why you were motivated to reply though?

When I look back, I could never have seen this change coming. It genuinely perplexes me even if it disgusts you.

Stewbum

Juniors
Ok, thanks Hawkins. Perhaps that is what I should do. I think back to that teenager though and wonder at how this change occurred. I always marvelled at stories of people never supporting Redcliffe again after the heartbreak of the 1980 grand final last gasp loss. It seemed so stupid and pointless.

DiegoNT

First Grade
So if i got this right, you were a die-hard Raiders supporter from about 1987 to 1996, then gave up on them.

Latest posts