What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Henson Park Hotel.

NZ Jet

Juniors
that'd be a new experience for them I guess...

I hope the locals are happy with the new Redfern oval. Personally I don't get it cos I really enjoyed going to the old oval in the same way I like going to Henson, Leichhardt and NSO. seemed to me a splash of paint, upgrade of plumbing and bit of landscaping woud have made it a great venue without losing the old world charm of the place (and probably cheaper) ? - anyway, its mainly there for the locals so maybe they prefer the new ground and if so fair enough.

silverfox

Juniors
there's a peice of history from redfern at Henson. The clock is from redfern donated by the Junior Jets

Bluebag

Juniors
Silverfox that is correct the Juniors were given the clock through Souths Juniors and was installed by Juniors staff as well it isnt the best but does work.

Buddah

Juniors
if you get enough people together and do gat a fund started, I will happily donate, however I would insist that the funds are not held or managed by the Jets in any way, shape or form.
I am reliably informed that the person who looks after the clubs accounts just can't cope.

Count me in for a donation also Stumped.

boo_boo

Juniors
there's a peice of history from redfern at Henson. The clock is from redfern donated by the Junior Jets

That's what i love about South Sydney & Newtown.
Both foundation clubs, hard nose rivals on the field but bloodbrothers off the field.
My passion & support for both clubs will never die.

boo_boo

Juniors
that'd be a new experience for them I guess...

I hope the locals are happy with the new Redfern oval. Personally I don't get it cos I really enjoyed going to the old oval in the same way I like going to Henson, Leichhardt and NSO. seemed to me a splash of paint, upgrade of plumbing and bit of landscaping woud have made it a great venue without losing the old world charm of the place (and probably cheaper) ? - anyway, its mainly there for the locals so maybe they prefer the new ground and if so fair enough.

NZ Jet, i was lucky enough to be able to use the Redfern Oval dressing sheds before they tore the place down.
I often just sat there on my own sitting on the bench thinking that this was where Churchill, Rayner, Purcell, Hammerton, Lisle, Cleary, Coote, Sattler, O'neil, Sait, Piggins, Stevens, Walters Simms, Fahey, Nitzcot,Tugger, Fenech, Andrews, Boyle etc used to sit themselves.
I was also lucky enough to have used Henson Park dressing sheds as well.
What i miss the most was the old Redfern Oval hill & i spent many a Sunday arvo sitting there watching the whole 3 grades.
You could see the skyscrapers of the city & when they played the Charity Shield at night you could see the lights of the city from the hill.
Thankfully most of the local pubs are still around so that's some consolation.
If your interested there's a Sydney based singer named Perry Keyes who sings stuff about Souths & the inner city life & i recommend buying his 3 CD's (Meter, Last Ghost Train Home, Johnny Rays Downtown) as his songs just takes you back to the times when Souths still played at Redfern & Newtown still had a 1st grade side.