What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

He's Cooked

Cook knew it was time to step aside' - Strauss.

Dobell: Cook served England with distinction

Alastair Cook's decision to resign from the England captaincy stemmed from his reservations about "how much he had left in the tank", according to Andrew Strauss, England's director of cricket, who says that the ECB expects to be able to name his successor within a fortnight, ahead of the one-day squad's departure for the Caribbean on February 22.

Speaking at Lord's on the day it was confirmed that Cook, 32, would be standing down from the captaincy after a record 59 Tests in charge, Strauss praised the considered manner in which his former opening partner had reached his decision. The timing of Cook's announcement leaves his successor - almost certainly Joe Root - a full four months of preparation before England's next Test series against South Africa in July.

"This wasn't one of those situations when it was right for me to persuade him to carry on," Strauss, from whom Cook inherited the captaincy back in 2012, told Sky Sports at Lord's. "I've been there myself. You either know if you have got it in you to carry on, or, deep down, you know it's time to step aside.

"He did it the right way. He didn't jump to conclusions, he allowed the dust to settle after the India tour, he took some time to speak to the people closest to him, whom he trusted. I support and understand that decision."

Cook's resignation had been on the cards ever since the tour of India in December, which finished with back-to-back innings defeat for a dispiriting 4-0 scoreline. As he had indicated at the time, Cook chose not to make a snap decision, but instead took the opportunity to take stock before informing Strauss of his intentions when the pair met up in January.

"When the India tour finished, Alastair said to everyone that he'd sit down with me and talk things through," Strauss said, "both the learnings from the India tour and what the England team could do to get better, but also his own position.

"We met up in January and I was interested to see how he had fared in India. I know how draining the England captaincy can be, especially on a long tour away from home when you are on the wrong end of the result.

"So we had a conversation around that, and it was pretty clear that Alastair knew how much drive, determination and energy was going to be required of the England captain in the next 12 months or so.

"He had some thoughts and reservations about how much he had left in the tank as England's longest-serving Test captain, and it was right that we didn't jump to conclusions, and let the dust settle. I allowed him to go away and think further. But, over the last ten days or so, it was clear his mind was made up."

Despite the speculation that has surrounded the role, Strauss insisted that the search for Cook's successor would only now begin in earnest.

"There is a process to go through," he said. "It would have been entirely wrong for me to have spoken to other players about the captaincy before Alastair stepped down, and especially while two important white-ball series were going on in India.

"Now's the chance for myself and selectors, and the coach, to have conversations amongst ourselves and some players in the England environment, to get an understanding of who the right person is, what their philosophy is, and how they intent to take the team forward, so that when we come to announce the new captain, we are sure he's the right man."

Although Root is the outstanding candidate to inherit Cook's role, his lack of captaincy experience is a justifiable concern - he has led in only four matches to date in his first-class career. Strauss, however, played down that aspect of his candidature.

"That is the reality in this day and age," he said. "It's very hard for England players to get a great deal of county captaincy experience. But on one level there's only so much you can do to prepare yourself. I think playing in the set-up for a number of years and understanding the demands is more important.

"[Cook's decision] gives the new captain a huge amount of time to get used to the idea and have conversations about off-the-field stuff with the coaches and support staff, so that when he steps on the field for the first time as England captain in July, a lot of that stuff will already be taken care of."

"Joe has done a very good job as vice-captain. He's matured a lot over the last two years and there is absolutely no reason he won't be one of the strong candidates."

For the time being, however, Strauss preferred to focus on Cook's own contribution as England captain, which included 24 Test wins, two Ashes victories, and memorable series wins in India and South Africa.

"It's important I say a huge thank you for all he's done for England cricket," Strauss said. "He led the team with drive, determination and passion, and you only have to speak to the people under him to know what a huge impact he's had on them.

"His record stands for itself. He's been England's longest-serving captain at a time when the scrutiny has never been greater. If you speak to the people who played under him, you'll learn that he had that touch with people. He had some tough times and so he could appreciate when others had tough times. He really cared about English cricket, he cared about his team-mates, and about the support staff, and that's why he'll be remembered so fondly."

"I honestly believe he deserves to be looked upon as one of England's great captains," Strauss said. "I also think the great measure of a leader is what the people who played with you and under you feel about you. I'm certain that there isn't a single player in that dressing room right now who doesn't think Alastair has done an unbelievable job as England captain.

"More than anything, he has had that personal touch. He has shown empathy for people and he's understood just how difficult it can be to play for England. He's had the time and inclination to help people through that. As he walks away he can do so with his head held exceptionally high knowing he gave absolutely everything to the role.

"His record stands for itself as England's longest serving captain and the longest serving one day captain as well. To combine that longevity with his individual performances is a testament to his drive and character. He was certainly never in it for personal glory."
http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/story/1081337.html

Definitely time up for Cook as captain. A role he didn't really enjoy most of the time. When you start talking about stepping down for months your already halfway out the door. The series against South Africa at home would have probably finished him off.
You would assume Root is the new captain, Bairstow would probably be the other alternative. Root will either rise to another level with his game like Smith, Kholi and Williamson have done as captains or struggle with the extra burden. He has a tough initiation against South Africa at Home then Australia away.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Shame, was hoping he would stick it out till they tour here next summer, they will be a far more formidable opposition with Root at the helm IMO.

Bazal

Post Whore
Shame, was hoping he would stick it out till they tour here next summer, they will be a far more formidable opposition with Root at the helm IMO.

I'm not sure they will. Say what you will about his tactics, most of it is fair, but Alistair Cook is a pretty tough bloke without much of an ego and IMO a good leader.

Root is a damned good batsman, there's no question of that. But he's a smarmy little git with an ego who seems to rub quite a few people the wrong way. He may well prove to be an excellent captain but I don't necessarily think he has the right qualities....

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Cook is was way to negative to be a factor out here, you only have to see him in the first test against India where he was waaaaaay to negative and cost them a chance of a win.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Did a good job but his captaincy was a lot like his batting, at times he just meandered along waiting for something to happen.

A good leader though.

Mr Bean

Juniors
Cook was never a tactical genius nor aggressive captain but he did ok. 2 Ashes series wins at home a rare away series win in India and an away series win in South Africa among his achievements. An ashes thumping loss out here and home losses to India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and New Zealand among his failures.

I expect Bayliss will be pleased he now has a chance to have an aggressive captain in Root for this years ashes contest.

TheParraboy

Staff member

Hopefully the captaincy will affect his batting. He is the wicket we want cheaply,

Mr Bean

Juniors
Hopefully the captaincy will affect his batting. He is the wicket we want cheaply,

I hope not. I want a contest this time around. If he doesn't fire the rest off them will sink meekly.
If it going to be another 5- 0 or 4- 0 rout I won't bother after the Perth test.

Bazal

Post Whore
Nah f**k England. Normally I hope for competitive Tests but In England's case I have no qualms whatsoever watching us wipe the floor with them if that's the way the series happens to go....and I'm sure their fans feel the same about us, lol

TheParraboy

Staff member
f**k the poms. F**k the barmy army , if we don't churn out roads it will be 5-0 to us.
Starc and Haze, along with either Patto or Cummins tear them to pieces

Pommy

Coach
I think it's very likely Root will get it but my choice would be Bairstow.
I just feel he would be the better leader and able to drive the side on as a team and I would rather have Root concentrate what he's good at.

Tommy Smith

Referee
f**k the poms. F**k the barmy army , if we don't churn out roads it will be 5-0 to us.
Starc and Haze, along with either Patto or Cummins tear them to pieces
If you don't churn out roads you'll leave yourselves very susceptible to what the Saffas did to you.

This Australian team absolutely performs best with roads at home as it allows Davey & co to thrive and then the local knowledge gives you the edge - the batsmen know the conditions better and the quality quicks know how to get more out of them.

Our only chance is if Australia produce pitches with a bit in them then we can potentially roll through you like the Saffas did so effortlessly.

Bazal

Post Whore
If you don't churn out roads you'll leave yourselves very susceptible to what the Saffas did to you.

This Australian team absolutely performs best with roads at home as it allows Davey & co to thrive and then the local knowledge gives you the edge - the batsmen know the conditions better and the quality quicks know how to get more out of them.

Our only chance is if Australia produce pitches with a bit in them then we can potentially roll through you like the Saffas did so effortlessly.

In fairness only Hobart was really effortless, and that pitch was unreasonably green (although I love a green top so no real complaints from me).

I'm just sick of flat decks. I'd rather lose a few series on good pitches than constantly turn out flat tracks. Aussie tracks will always have something for the batsmen anyway so why not leave a bit more grass day one ffs?

Tommy Smith

Referee
I'm just sick of flat decks. I'd rather lose a few series on good pitches than constantly turn out flat tracks. Aussie tracks will always have something for the batsmen anyway so why not leave a bit more grass day one ffs?

Screenshot_20170209-215541.jpg