What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey Hey It's Saturday, we're back after 10 long years

gong_eagle

First Grade
Hey Hey It's Saturday, we're back after 10 long years

Article from:
Darren Devlyn
July 25, 2009

EXCLUSIVE: HEY Hey It's Saturday is back - 10 years after fans were left lamenting when it disappeared from our screens.
Channel 9 has commissioned two live reunion specials of the legendary variety show.
Host Daryl Somers and Nine yesterday promised the two shows, to be screened later this year, would be a blend of nostalgia and new material.
If they rate well, Nine and Somers look certain to negotiate a new series of Hey Hey.
Somers was over the moon yesterday.
"It is exciting. There's been a lot of talk about the show coming back and it has finally happened," he said. "We are ringing various cast members to say it is going to happen 10 years after it last happened.
"It is emotional for us as a cast and it must be for the audience who have missed the show over the years."
Somers said a permanent return was up to the fans.
"It is in the back of my mind, but it is in the lap of the gods. Once we do it, it rests solely on the great god of OzTAM (a ratings agency)."
Somers' production company will stage the reunion shows, bringing back as many original cast members as possible, and favourite characters including Dickie Knee and Plucka Duck.
"It's not just a clip show. We will be pressing the 'refresh' button," Somers said.
He is hoping regulars, including Red Symons, Wilbur Wilde, John Blackman, Livinia Nixon, Jackie MacDonald and Ernie Carroll, who played Ossie Ostrich, will be part of the two shows.
The Hey Hey gang recently gathered for lunch to celebrate Carroll's 80th birthday.
"I will ring Ernie. It will be his decision depending on how he feels, and I will understand either way - the same with Jackie. It would be nice if Ernie was involved in some way."
Nine program chief Michael Healy was excited by the comeback: "TV audiences are craving family viewing and Hey Hey appealed to all age groups. It is a show the whole family can watch together and enjoy."
The announcement follows 18 months of negotiations and comes on the back of a massive push by Hey Hey fans.
The Herald Sun last week revealed a Facebook fan site had been created to pressure Nine to bring back the show.
In its first three months, the site had 10,000 followers. Over the past week the number has jumped from 15,000 to 43,000.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25831645-661,00.html

gong_eagle

First Grade
Brilliant...hope dickie knee is back. Wonder if he has aged ??.
found a recent pic, no grey hair :lol:

dickie-knee.jpg

Moffo

Referee
ffs do people remember how bad this show was? farkkkk

bring back its a knockout

IanG

Coach
Here here. Glad it's coming back. All be it just a couple of one off reunions. Wonder if Gavan Disney will be involved. It's well documented he's had a brush with the law though was subsequently acquitted. Though I agree with Moffo on bring back It's A Knockout.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Has there been anything remotely decent on channel 9 in the 6:30 Saturday timeslot since it was canned? Might struggle up against the Saturday night footy broadcasts on Fox and Ten if they try and restart it as a series though.

Darryl also deserves to be remembered as something better than a dumped host of "Dancing with the Stars" as well.

Oh, and I agree with bringing back It's a Knockout. I seem to recall the NSW representatives, who for some weird reason wore red, came last just about every week.

IanG

Coach
Has there been anything remotely decent on channel 9 in the 6:30 Saturday timeslot since it was canned? Might struggle up against the Saturday night footy broadcasts on Fox and Ten if they try and restart it as a series though.

Darryl also deserves to be remembered as something better than a dumped host of "Dancing with the Stars" as well.

Oh, and I agree with bringing back It's a Knockout. I seem to recall the NSW representatives, who for some weird reason wore red, came last just about every week.

Well it might get left until after the footy season is over. Yeah no idea why NSW were in red. Also there was no WA or Tassie. Probably cuz they didn't have Channel 10 there back then. Perth didn't get Channel 10 'til 1988.

Sir Biffo

Bench
The last few years were atrocious.

It'll be like Gladiators, huge viewing for the comeback, then drop off for ep 2. Hopefully they don't bring it back fulltime - just do a one off nostalgia piece so people remember how good it was. It'll run out of puff if they try and do more series, Daryl must be pushing 60 and those buffoons Wilbur Wilde and Red Symonds stopped being funny in 1992.

Agent Mulder

Bench
Oh good god no, I was as happy as hell when this show was canned now they bring it back, It wasnt even funny, Darryl Sommers is overated and it was just terriable period.

Moffo

Referee
surely it will be just as cringeful as before. it'll be lucky to last longer then the fatties dancing show

Martli

Coach
The last few years were atrocious.

It'll be like Gladiators, huge viewing for the comeback, then drop off for ep 2. Hopefully they don't bring it back fulltime - just do a one off nostalgia piece so people remember how good it was. It'll run out of puff if they try and do more series, Daryl must be pushing 60 and those buffoons Wilbur Wilde and Red Symonds stopped being funny in 1992.

Seems to be the theme this decade. No one can come up with any fresh new ideas so they have to rehash old ones and inevitably fail in the process. It's really f**king sad, just a desperate grab to suck every last drop of money whilst doing the least amount of value creation. Pointless.

Machiavelli

Juniors
f**k off Darryl!

If Hey Hey comes back, then I threaten to talk Ron Hitler Barassi into getting TISM back on the road!

Latest posts