What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hills Hoist clothesline - dismantle or recycle

gorilla

First Grade
I'm keen to dismantle a broken (shaft) hills hoist rotary clothesline.

Is there a best way to dismantle, recognising that it can all be cut up, which I can't do ?

The home accountant would like it recycled but I couldn't give a toss, I want council to take it away.

Maggie

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I recall seeing one being dismantled on a TV show.

I'm pretty sure the home handy bloke simply went deluxe with the hacksaw.

gorilla

First Grade
Yup, need to be powered in my case ....

I know I'm overcomplicating but I reckon I need to remove the wire before unbolting/screwing the previously UUD40'd aforesaid tighteners.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Its looks so easy on those DYI shows. lol

I reckon you should grab someone from Centrelink, give them a hacksaw and $50. Just be sure not to pay up front.

juanfarkall

Coach
Be careful with the cutting implements particularly if it is an older one with a "cast casing".
You may be able to lift the main shaft (the one that goes up and down) out of the sleeve with the wires on arms etc intact.
This may make it easier to dismantle. particularly if it one of the older heavier versions.

gorilla

First Grade
45 minutes to stump, 45 minutes to remove stump. It was quick to dismantle, 'hacksaw deluxe' would have been harder and longer. (surprised no-one suggested the angle-grinder......)
IMG_1598.jpg

Dismatled with four tools (one of being me), spot o' jezibel's juice.
Tools....spanner, screwdriver, wire cutters.
IMG_1603.jpg

Loosened 13 little screw bolts - removing the stump took about half the time assisted by judicous use of force and maddock.
IMG_1604.jpg