What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hindmarsh Gooooooone

albi

Juniors
Just heard from the insider.

Hindmarsh is going to sign with new french team next year in the ESL.

Raider_69

Post Whore
:lol: the insider?

dan weilder just announced it on national TV
and as far as im concerned if weilder says its a done deal i expect to wake up tomorrow to see he has re-signed with canberra

brenno

Juniors
Meh. As long as the Raiders can be active in the market and sign some decent fowards i'll be happy. Other than 2003, Hindmarsh has been abit of a disappointment.

thickos

First Grade
If he wants to secure his future, then good on him - I doubt the club will stand in his way.

UTC (the new team coming into the ESL) have had a good day with Hindmarsh and Stacey Jones.

thickos

First Grade
Apparently. He was going to retire for medical reasons last season with his badly injured neck (he missed 10 weeks), but was tempted to see out his contract.

I can't see it being renewed at his age.

Raider Crusader

Juniors
thickos said:
Apparently. He was going to retire for medical reasons last season with his badly injured neck (he missed 10 weeks), but was tempted to see out his contract.

I can't see it being renewed at his age.
Lets hope it isn't renewed [-o<

thickos

First Grade
Hindmarsh wants Poms' cap
By James Hooper
April 22, 2005

CANBERRA forward Ian Hindmarsh is poised to turn his back on Australia by attempting to become the first player in 98 years to play for bitter rivals Great Britain.

In a shock revelation, Hindmarsh last night told The Daily Telegraph of his ambition to represent Great Britain, opposing brother Nathan in the Kangaroos.

Armed with a British passport, the Raiders' back-row forward has signed a three-year deal to play in the English Super League with new French club UTC next season.

"It would be something to put in the treasure chest, it is an opportunity for me," Hindmarsh said.

"There's probably more of an opportunity for me over there to represent than there is here.

"Especially with the amount of good back-rowers in Australia at the moment over the last few years.

"Even for the Country Origin side, you look at the Australian back row and they are all country blokes."

Great Britain selector David Waite is also the coaching director at UTC, presenting Hindmarsh with the perfect passage to play his way into a Lions jumper.

The Raiders backrower is eligible to switch allegiances because his mother, Fiona, was born in Dundee, Scotland and grew up in Workington, England.

The former Pararmatta star will reside in the south of France, with the opportunity to travel across Europe with his wife in the off-season ... another lure from his French club.

Quizzed about the possibility of playing against brother Nathan representing the Kangaroos, Hindmarsh said: "We've talked about it a little bit.

"Everyone wants to win and be at the top of the pile, that's just natural, when I get over there it would be great."

Kangaroos icons Bob Fulton and Ian Roberts were both born in England.

Yet they played for Australia, while Balmain legend Keith Barnes was born in Wales.

The last Australian-born player to go close to representing the Great Britain was Michael Withers, who made the Lions squad for the Kangaroo Tour of the UK in 2001.

Several other English Super League clubs, headed by Salford, were also chasing the signature of Hindmarsh, who represented Country Origin in the back-row in 2001.

Talks with the Raiders ceased last month with the Canberra club unable to match the lucrative offers available in the English Super League.

"Ian is a tremendous character and has been a wonderful player for our club but at the end of the day we just couldn't hold on to him," Raiders chief executive Simon Hawkins said.

"Knowing the type of player Ian is he will continue to be a great servant for us despite having signed with UTC for next season."

New Zealand Warriors halfback Stacey Jones was announced as the other key signing for the French club yesterday, with UTC football manager Paul Donkin still wielding a chequebook in Australia for the next week.

"We're in discussions with a number of managers at the moment, we're looking to add at least another prop and a centre to our roster," Donkin said.

Hindmarsh is disappointed with his own form after returning from injury a fortnight ago. He hopes to finish his NRL career on a high-note by fighting his way back into the starting side for the Raiders.

At the conclusion of his English assignment, Hindmarsh plans to return to Australia to run a dairy farm he is setting up at Cowra.

Prodigiousman

Juniors
Good luck Ian Hindmarsh.

Added a lot to our side in 2003, very much a quiet achiever in the pack which is what we desperately needed at the time.

He'll be in the 17 for most of the year, regardless of this decision.

legend

Coach
Good move by management and they have indentified the dead wood that needs clearing out.

We shoud have enough room to re-sign who we want and still be active in the player market.

Paullyboy

Coach
Yeh this time last year I would have hated hearing this, but now Im happy to see him go.

There is much better talent around, alot of which is already at our club.

Brimmer

Juniors
Agreed.. Now after Tyron.. I wouldn't know who to whinge about? I'm perfectly happy with the rest of the roster.

woodgers

Bench
The Raiders are moving forward in my books. This along with the Tyran news is pleasing. Good luck to both, I guess they have served us well at various times.

I think Hindmarsh would struggle to make the England side. English players aren't as far behind Aussie standard these days. I have an English Passport as well, I think I might try my hand anyway.

Latest posts