What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hindmarsh's foresight: I'll win a premiership with Parra

Greg Prichard | May 21, 2009
NATHAN HINDMARSH thought about finishing his career with a big pay day in England - even went as far as to find out what was available - but in the end he couldn't bear the thought of not giving himself every chance to win a premiership with Parramatta before he retired.

Hindmarsh yesterday detailed the thought process behind his decision to extend his contract with the Eels until the end of the 2012 season. He was at ANZ Stadium, the venue for Parramatta's home game with South Sydney tomorrow night.

It was there he had his only shot at grand final glory, with the Eels team that lost 30-24 to Newcastle in 2001, and it is there he wants to return for another shot - hopefully successful, this time - before it is all over.

The way Parramatta are going at the moment - this season is practically a write-off already, with just three wins and six losses and long-term injuries to key players - it might seem to some Hindmarsh is hoping for too big a recovery even in the 3½ seasons he has left.

But the NRL is such an even competition these days that teams can go up just as quickly as they go down, and Hindmarsh said he went to Eels coach Daniel Anderson to find out what the coach's plans were for the club before he decided on his future.

"I did talk to Daniel, and it was one of the key factors in my staying at the club," he said. "After hearing what he had to say, I believe Parra can do something while I'm still here. We're not travelling very well at the moment, but Ando's got some great ideas in place.

"It's about retaining some players - we do need senior players, and [captain] Nathan Cayless is in those plans, definitely - and going on the lookout for some players. We've got plenty of talent here already - Jarryd Hayne, Krisnan Inu, Feleti Mateo, Kris Keating - we've just got to get it together."

Hindmarsh, 29, said he checked out Super League because he wanted to establish all the options, but in the end the veteran of success with NSW and Australian teams was driven by the thought of achieving his one remaining career goal.

"I had permission, in the last contract I signed, to look in England," he said. "I had an offer from a Super League club, and it was very good money. I thought long and hard about it, sat down with my partner, Bonnie, and spoke to a few other people as well.

"But I thought the best decision for me was to stay in Sydney, and Parramatta. It's where my heart wanted to stay, and I thought I would have found it very hard to go to England. I didn't want to risk Bonnie or the kids being unhappy. Bonnie and I were umming and ahhing, but we made up our minds to stay.

"I'd love to win a grand final with Parramatta, and that was a big factor in my decision to stay. Having an opportunity to win one and losing it just makes me more determined to win one at Parra. 'Ando' could be a coach who could get us there."

Hindmarsh, who was originally contracted to the Eels until the end of next season, said his mind became clear a couple of weeks ago.

"I just turned up to training one day, the sun was out and the boys were having fun, and I thought, 'This is what I like to do, this is my home,"' he said. "I'll be turning 33 towards the end of my final year at Parra, and I'd say that would do me. I will have had a great career, and I'd love to finish up at Parra. Hopefully do a lap with the trophy."

Rookie prop Tim Mannah has re-signed until the end of 2011, and said the chance to continue working with Hindmarsh and Cayless was a major attraction.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/lhqnews/...ship-with-parra/2009/05/20/1242498807992.html

Why cant we have 17 of him???

lewiscook

Juniors
"I just turned up to training one day, the sun was out and the boys were having fun, and I thought, 'This is what I like to do, this is my home,"' he said. "I'll be turning 33 towards the end of my final year at Parra, and I'd say that would do me. I will have had a great career, and I'd love to finish up at Parra. Hopefully do a lap with the trophy."quote]

Thats what i call loyalty, and pure greatness.
This bloke may not be the most gifted, or talented. but he is on hell of a part of our team through his workrate and toughness.

You are a inspiration to all of us hindy, well done!

i'd really like to hear as it was stated by hindmarsh in the article; andos plans for coming years?
hes a very smart man, he has my full support.

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
good on nath for putting family happiness above big dollars in england

Stagger eel

Staff member
he's our greatest player in 20 years..

I'm looking forward to seeing him beat Berts club record, I'm sure the current board won't let that go unnoticed.

strider

Post Whore
he's our greatest player in 20 years..

I'm looking forward to seeing him beat Berts club record, I'm sure the current board won't let that go unnoticed.
be nice to see that happen at a sunny, packed stadium on a sunday afternoon

Johns Magic

Referee
Legend. It'd have to be a pretty big turnaround for you guys to win the comp in the next three years, but it'd be justice for Hindmarsh.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Legend. It'd have to be a pretty big turnaround for you guys to win the comp in the next three years, but it'd be justice for Hindmarsh.

it's possible, alot of clubs like Penrith and the Tigers have had major turnarounds in short periods of time, and the sallary cap has allowed for 7 or 8 different premiers in as many years, none of us expect to have competative team until 2011 and by then he'll have 2 seasons to achieve his goal.

bradeel

Juniors

it'd be no more of a turnaround than the Panthers' and Tigers' wins from the past decade and the form of a side like the Bulldogs in 2009 who were clearly the worst team in the comp in 2008 gives hope to the idea that with a plenty of fresh faces and a new attitude, you can go from last to first in an off season.

Appreciate what you are saying - not having a go at you - just think that there's no reason to suggest that in 20011/12 we can't be serious contenders. Notice i am ignoring this season and next when it doesn't look as though we'll be able to get any real player turnover.

Oh yeah, and Hindmarsh is an absolute legend. Rapt at the news.

bradeel

Juniors
it's possible, alot of clubs like Penrith and the Tigers have had major turnarounds in short periods of time, and the sallary cap has allowed for 7 or 8 different premiers in as many years, none of us expect to have competative team until 2011 and by then he'll have 2 seasons to achieve his goal.

i think that is officially called simultaneous posting... Suffice to say, I agree entirely...

The Colonel

Immortal
Nathan Hindmarsh reminds me a lot of a bloke that played a bit further up the road from Parramatta called Royce Simmons. Probably could have gone to other clubs for much better money but stayed due to loyalty. Hopefully Hindy's career ends the same way.

JessEel

This is why people laugh at Eels fans when everyone cries foul and slits their wrists after a few losses... The player know they can do it! They have that confidence, but their fans are the first ones to say "It's All Over"

Not targetting anyone inparticular, just the perception of Eels fans as a whole

bradeel

Juniors
This is why people laugh at Eels fans when everyone cries foul and slits their wrists after a few losses... The player know they can do it! They have that confidence, but their fans are the first ones to say "It's All Over"

Not targetting anyone inparticular, just the perception of Eels fans as a whole

I totally agree with you - people need some perspective. Although i would hasten to add that i doubt its just Parra fans that behave like this. I reckon if the Broncos missed the 8 for the first time in 25 years their fans would have a whinge about how little hope the club has for them.

I reckon the web and things like fan forums simply give greater voice to it because we can all come on here seconds after a loss (or during in some cases) and have a whinge without really thinking or without any sense of accountability for what we say.

JessEel

Oh i understand completely Brad, and i imagine only truly passionate fans would jump staright online after a game to discuss (where anyone would just shake it off and focus on something else), but its more at the games, when you see fully grown men pull faces like they are about to cry.
Throwing jerseys on the field and booing the team... as you said it happens all over the NRL, but Parra fans are unfortunatley often associated with this type of carry on. Would LOVE to see this perception changed. If they boys that are getting smashed and criticsed left and right can remain positive, why can't we?

eel4life

Juniors
I am happy that Hindy is staying and i hope he gets the premiership with parra 3.5 years i can live with that, and basically 1 every 5 years will do me just fine, i am not asking for much now am i .... he he he ..

Latest posts