What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hindy: Time to move on from Izzy

Gronk

Staff member
PARRAMATTA Eels legend Nathan Hindmarsh has called for the NRL fellowship to abandon concerns about code hopper Israel Folau and focus on rugby league’s bigger issues.
In Wagga yesterday spreading Christmas cheer to unsuspecting shoppers, the former international second-rower said he was not bothered by Folau’s decision to sidestep a return to the NRL in favour of a rugby union contract.
While he freely admits he contemplated a code switch during his 15-year career with the Eels, Hindmarsh said he had made no judgment of Folau.
“(A code-switch) did cross my mind, yeah,” he told The Daily Advertiser yesterday.
“I don’t think I ever did consider it. It was only for a short time but obviously Israel has made his decision and that’s it.
“We’ve got a lot more players and teams that we need to be focusing on for 2013 rather than just sitting around wondering what Israel Folau is doing.”
Folau was in talks with Hindmarsh’s beloved Eels before signing with Super 15 club NSW Waratahs this week, ending his two-year stint with AFL franchise GWS.
Despite this, the former Eels capatin said Folau was cut out for rugby union.
“I think he’s obviously got some talent, he’s still young,” Hindmarsh said.
“He didn’t make it in AFL, or we don’t know if he would have made it in AFL but we’ll see how he goes in rugby union.
“I think he will make it in rugby union, but from what I know he’s only signed a one-year deal there.
“Whether or not he decides to come back to the NRL or the ARU decides to snap him up, we’ll see.
“He’s a great get for the Waratahs, and I think he will attract a fair few viewers.”
Meanwhile, Hindmarsh was greeted by gushing fans in Wagga yesterday as he handed out gift vouchers to families and shoppers just in time for the holidays.
A self-confessed “secret Santa”, Hindmarsh was one of a handful of ex-NRL stars spreading Christmas cheer by doing random “good deeds” across the country.
“It’s an NRL inniative just to give back to the community ... it’s always good to give back to the people that support our game of rugby league,” he said.
“The NRL has gone out to a few rural areas. We were in Bathurst the other day, I think Petro Civoniceva was in Gympie (yesterday) and the NRL teams all start next week in their local areas.”
http://www.dailyadvertiser.com.au/story/1167787/move-on-from-folau-fuss-eel/?cs=149

Latest posts