What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hodges high shot

If a swinging arm misses does that mean it should go unpunished?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

El Diablo

Post Whore
It only just managed to clip the Melbourne player but it looked like a blatant swinging arm that had it hit a split second earlier could've nearly decapitated him.

Why should Hodges, or anyone not be charged when it looked like the intent was there but they only just managed to connect or miss?

I know this isn't a good analogy but you don't get off if you try and shoot someone and miss.

Anyways I just thought it looked pretty nasty and very dangerous. Lucky it only just managed to connect or I think a very serious injury could've occured.

kaon

Juniors
They couldn't punish attempted high shots because it would be too hard to prove.

Mayor_Quimby

Bench
El Duque said:
It only just managed to clip the Melbourne player but it looked like a blatant swinging arm that had it hit a split second earlier could've nearly decapitated him.

Why should Hodges, or anyone not be charged when it looked like the intent was there but they only just managed to connect or miss?

I know this isn't a good analogy but you don't get off if you try and shoot someone and miss.

Anyways I just thought it looked pretty nasty and very dangerous. Lucky it only just managed to connect or I think a very serious injury could've occured.

maybe we could start giving lie detector tests to all players to see if they are going onto the field to hurt someone intentionally and then we punish them :roll: :roll: :roll:

El Diablo

Post Whore
Mayor_Quimby said:
El Duque said:

maybe we could start giving lie detector tests to all players to see if they are going onto the field to hurt someone intentionally and then we punish them :roll: :roll: :roll:

Did you see the particular tackle?

I believe he was penalised for it and I think the crowd were yelling "off off off"

El Diablo

Post Whore
Mayor_Quimby said:
:roll: :roll: never read into the crowds reaction, they are bias at the best of times :roll: :roll:

So is that a 'no, I didn't see the tackle' ?

Mayor_Quimby

Bench
El Duque said:
Mayor_Quimby said:
:roll: :roll: never read into the crowds reaction, they are bias at the best of times :roll: :roll:

So is that a 'no, I didn't see the tackle' ?

yeah i saw it, and i have seen about a thousand swinging arms in other games that have missed the mark, or just clipped the player and nothing is every done, why get so up tight about it now?

Moffo

Referee
Mayor_Quimby said:
El Duque said:

How could you prove intent, even if the tackle connects??? its impossible to prove in 99% of cases

Cheers,
Moffo

Mayor_Quimby

Bench
Moffo said:
Mayor_Quimby said:
El Duque said:

How could you prove intent, even if the tackle connects??? its impossible to prove in 99% of cases

Cheers,
Moffo

exactly the reasons why there is no stupid rule

El Diablo

Post Whore
Moffo said:
Mayor_Quimby said:
El Duque said:

Cheers,
Moffo

I think it would be quite easy. If you throw a punch and it misses is that hard to prove? It's just as easy to prove a swinging arm imo.

Moffo

Referee
How many times have you gone for a good chest tackle and they have moved slightly, resulting in you getting them a bit high? Definitely no intent, but the penalty still goes. The difference between getting someone on the chest and sliding up to their head is a matter of centimetres

Cheers,
Moffo

El Diablo

Post Whore
Moffo said:
How many times have you gone for a good chest tackle and they have moved slightly, resulting in you getting them a bit high? Definitely no intent, but the penalty still goes. The difference between getting someone on the chest and sliding up to their head is a matter of centimetres

Cheers,
Moffo

Moff, in some of the misses that are seen it stands out like dogs balls that it was going nowhere near their chest as quite often they swing OVER their heads. That's the only reason they miss.

How could someone possibly say they were aiming for their chest when the swinging arm missed by going over the opponents head??

JoeD

First Grade
I think you have some good points El Duque and I agree with you that some missed high shots are blatant enough to warrant a penalty/suspension but I just don't think it would work in practice. We already have rules that try to read players minds and they don't work or are never enforced, eg a penalty for an intentional forward pass. When was the last time you saw one of those given even with all the blatant forward passes there are in games today.

Moffo

Referee
El Duque said:
Moffo said:

Cheers,
Moffo

Moff, in some of the misses that are seen it stands out like dogs balls that it was going nowhere near their chest as quite often they swing OVER their heads. That's the only reason they miss.

How could someone possibly say they were aiming for their chest when the swinging arm missed by going over the opponents head??

If its a standout, fine, there are always exceptions. But most tackles i see are purely shots that hit the neck and the ref penalises. The Hodges shot stood out, but i really dont see many like that in the current day game

Cheers,
Moffo

El Diablo

Post Whore
Moffo said:
El Duque said:
Moffo said:

Cheers,
Moffo

If its a standout, fine, there are always exceptions. But most tackles i see are purely shots that hit the neck and the ref penalises. The Hodges shot stood out, but i really dont see many like that in the current day game

Cheers,
Moffo

I don't see a lot either but when I do I say to myself "lucky he's not a couple of inches taller"

Mayor_Quimby

Bench
giving people suspensions or whatever for NOT actually coming in contact with another player :roll: :roll:

If he hits him then he will feel the full wrath of the judicial process, leave it at that, we don't need more rules making the game slower and slower

ref: "penalty, your hand went near his head in the tackle, and thats just not acceptable by king El Duque"

El Diablo

Post Whore
Mayor_Quimby said:
ref: "penalty, your hand went near his head in the tackle, and thats just not acceptable by king El Duque"

So now your argument is just resorting to personal crap :roll:

midas

Juniors
I,m with you ,El D.
The principle of intent is well established at law and in most sports.
And I don,t see what is so difficult to prove-Hodges was a case in point where the intent was clear to everyone bar the most biased Roosters supporters.
As for this malarkey about tackles slipping or bouncing up ,they only do this if the arm is rigid and swinging .
If,say.Mark Waugh,can adjust the position of his hands in a millisecond to catch a 5 1/4 ounce cricket ball travelling at 140 kph the it should be a relatively simple matter to adjust a tackle,unless of course you have comitted to a swinging-arm tackle and have no intention of making any adjustments.

Mayor_Quimby

Bench
midas said:
I,m with you ,El D.
The principle of intent is well established at law and in most sports.
And I don,t see what is so difficult to prove-Hodges was a case in point where the intent was clear to everyone bar the most biased Roosters supporters.
As for this malarkey about tackles slipping or bouncing up ,they only do this if the arm is rigid and swinging .
If,say.Mark Waugh,can adjust the position of his hands in a millisecond to catch a 5 1/4 ounce cricket ball travelling at 140 kph the it should be a relatively simple matter to adjust a tackle,unless of course you have comitted to a swinging-arm tackle and have no intention of making any adjustments.
you cannot compare Mark Waugh’s reflexes, he practices it time and time and time again to get it right, these footballers never practice “re-adjusting” their arm when going into a tackle! And that comment about the arm having to be rigid and swinging to bounce up, well that’s a crock, you can tackle with a bent elbow and use your body and still slide up the player, usually when you make contact with the ball and your arm moves up.

P.S. I’m not a roosters fan

Latest posts