What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hoffman named player of the year, most improved, players player.

Broncos93

Juniors
http://www.nrl.com/news/news/newsar...offman-chokes-back-tears-for-mum/default.aspx
An emotional Josh Hoffman said his mum Grace would be shedding a few tears in heaven after he upstaged Brisbane's NRL big guns to be named Player of Year on Friday night.

Choking back tears after storming past representative forward Sam Thaiday in voting, the 22-year-old spoke of the unwavering support he'd received from his mum, who died late last year, and father Shane as a young kid playing rugby league.

Losing his mother was life-changing for Hoffman, after being given his opportunity to play fullback by coach Ivan Henjak, swept the awards winning Player of the Year, Players' Player and Most Improved.

"I certainly wasn't expecting that," said a surprised and excited Hoffman.

"Probably the biggest part of my career was the loss of my mum. It hit me very hard.

"It impacts on you a lot but it only makes you a stronger person.

"I thank my family and I thank my mum."

The first thing Hoffman did after winning the same award his second cousin Wendell Sailor collected when he played for Brisbane was text his dad.

"I haven't spoken to him but I texted him and I'd say he's probably jumping up and down out his chair.

"I know for certain mum would be proud and shedding a few tears up there. It's just really special to me."

He said his mum and dad always took him to footy as a kid.

"It's been a tough road, but my dad's been amazing this year. It's been such a special year."

Shane rings his son regularly, more to see how he is coping following the death of his mother than to talk footy.

"He's always ringing me, asking how I'm doing but we avoid football talk as much as possible," he said.

"When we do talk about footy the old man is always trying to give me good advice.

"Even when I was a young kid he used to run the water out and tell me what to do. You may not think it at the time but those wise words your old man tells you, they help you in the future."

It was a stunning night, with Hoffman also breaking the news he'd proposed to his girlfriend, Emma Kerr.

"I told dad I was going to propose to Emma when I was up there (Mackay) a few weeks ago and he was a bit shocked," Hoffman laughed.

"The rest of my brothers and sisters are having babies but none of them got engaged.

"Dad was pretty thrilled. He rang me when I got back to Brisbane and he was overjoyed."

While "pleased and shocked" with his awards haul, Hoffman said he still had a lot to learn.

"I've still got a lot to learn. Karmichael (Hunt) was a great player and I've got big shoes to fill, which is something I want to do in 2011."

Eligible to play for New Zealand where his father was born, Hoffman said he would leave any decision on his Test playing future until next year.

"People are still asking questions about New Zealand," he said.

"We can only wait until 2011 and see what that brings."

Well done to him, thought he was one of the most consistent all year for us.

ponies 4ever

Juniors
Congrats to young Hoffman, exceeded all expectations and really took some huge strides in 2010. Happy to claim foot in mouth about this young lad, I seriously doubted he would mould into half of what he did this year. 2011 looks seriously big if he continues along the same path...........we have a serious fullback in young Josh Hoffman and it sounds like his level of committment to securing the position long term will be fulfilled..

Pierced Soul

First Grade
good onya Josh, when hunt left i thought we'd have problems at the back. but hoffman's made the position his own and i havent even missed hunt

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
I tend to agree with our LUs decision that Sam Thaiday be player of the year (Hoffman def most improved though). However Hoffman has truly had a great season and sewn up that #1 spot which there was some concern over after Hunt's departure.

chefman21

Juniors
Great work! Hope you guys can keep him for the next 15 years because he looks like something that little bit special. A very rare talent indeed...

The 18th Man

Juniors
Couldn't agree more with this result. What a season. What an outstanding young man. Onward and upward from here for this future QLD Maroon.

Karmichael who?

Big Pete

Referee
Karmichael Hunt, the Broncos youngest ever first grader and key player in our 2006 premiership.

AuDragon

Juniors
You mean cutie, the one that held the Broncos on a leash and caused them to lose valuable players to try to keep him, only to see him kick them in the teeth and move to AFL...?

Big Pete

Referee
:lol: Dude, the contract was taken off the table in March. He hardly left the Broncos guessing.

The 18th Man

Juniors
There are always a minority who have to spoil a bit of banter with their no nonsense attitude. Lighten up already.

The 18th Man

Juniors
Or they're over the whole 'Karmichael Who' thing.

Each to their own then I guess.

I'd suggest some take a reality check if "Karmichael who?" is something for some to "get over" in today's world. Bigger things to worry about but, like I said, each to their own.

Enjoy the off-season!

Latest posts