What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hohaia needing some competition?

ozreece77

Juniors
Or does he just need the Bye round to re energise?

From watching the last 3 or 4 games, he seems to be less energetic around the field. Is that a sign of relaxing too much now that Mckinnon is gone? He didnt seem to have much faith in our props breaking the line as never sighted him following our props at all in yesterdays game.
I thought there were a couple of times Packer was looking for a runner and no one was there.

Is Locke not considered a fullback option anymore? I worry about his inability to contest bombs even though hes about the same size as Coote who contests superbly.
How does the Vulcans fullback go?

Meth

Staff member
Locke is Hohaia's competition- at the beginning of the season, I saw no reason or evidence to contemplate trying him there yet. Now I am softening to the idea. In any event, unless there's an injury, I doubt Cleary will do anything this season and I am not really disappointed in that

Dirty Hoe

Juniors
in all fairness how can you class locke as competition if hes got a regular spot on the wing?
hohaia has the steadying influence on the side, definitely a strong point to keep him at the back

Meth

Staff member
in all fairness how can you class locke as competition if hes got a regular spot on the wing?
hohaia has the steadying influence on the side, definitely a strong point to keep him at the back

It's no secret that Locke is considered to be the next Warriors fullback, whenever that it

re the steadying influence- fair point

Micistm

Bench
Lance IMO is going okay atm, but below par by the standards he's set since filling in for Wade during the injury year.
Complacency? Or common form slump all players go through from time to time? I'm preferring to think latter at this stage. Locke is just starting to get his own bit of form back so I would leave them in their respective positions.

tezzah

Juniors
My bet is Glen Fisiahi will eventually overtake Lockes position out the back. He is quick, has pace, is taller than Locke and seems to be playing his cards right in the 20s grade. Locke is playing okay- and now more often below our expectation. I'd keep him on the wing until he can D up better. Akuila Uate has some gas!!!!

ozreece77

Juniors
My bet is Glen Fisiahi will eventually overtake Lockes position out the back. He is quick, has pace, is taller than Locke and seems to be playing his cards right in the 20s grade. Locke is playing okay- and now more often below our expectation. I'd keep him on the wing until he can D up better. Akuila Uate has some gas!!!!

I may have my names mixed up, but werent there a couple of huge guys that used to run around in the 80s in the Auckland league by the name of Fisiahi?

Skinner

Coach
I may have my names mixed up, but werent there a couple of huge guys that used to run around in the 80s in the Auckland league by the name of Fisiahi?

Think you may have your decades mixed up. Nineties and naughties. David and Paul, twin brothers (Glen's older brothers). They played for Eastern Tornadoes in Bartercard then Mt Albert.

Both very good players who scored heaps of tries.

ozreece77

Juniors
Think you may have your decades mixed up. Nineties and naughties. David and Paul, twin brothers (Glen's older brothers). They played for Eastern Tornadoes in Bartercard then Mt Albert.

Both very good players who scored heaps of tries.

Hmm, well I dont know who I am thinking of then. The brothers I'm thinking of were huge guys, scary looking and played prop/2nd row?
And they were running around about the same time as when Gary Freeman was still in the Auckland league.

Skinner

Coach
Hmm, well I dont know who I am thinking of then. The brothers I'm thinking of were huge guys, scary looking and played prop/2nd row?
And they were running around about the same time as when Gary Freeman was still in the Auckland league.

OK, then you are thinking of the Fue brothers (again twins) who played for Northcote. Scariest looking blokes ever on the paddock, but real gentlemen off it. I think both were Auckland reps. At least one (Peter) was.

These guys are so identical, I know them both as mate :lol:

ozreece77

Juniors
OK, then you are thinking of the Fue brothers (again twins) who played for Northcote. Scariest looking blokes ever on the paddock, but real gentlemen off it. I think both were Auckland reps. At least one (Peter) was.

These guys are so identical, I know them both as mate :lol:

woot. thanks for that. was racking my brain trying to remember :p

MKEB...

Staff member
I remember a certain Lion red cup final with the "Fearsome Fues" vs Mangere East years ago. IIRC Chappie Pine was playing as well.