What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hookers for next year

posible hookers next year who do you want

• Egan

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • Katoa

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Egan and Katoa

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • player from out side club

Votes: 14 41.2%

• Total voters

murraymob

Coach
They are Katoa 80 minutes Egan 80 minutes combination Katoa Egan combined or should we be looking out side the club .I like Egan I think a good off season in the gym will be a big boost for him .Hopefully Royce will keep working with Katoa and Egan .I dont think at this stage either Katoa or Egan are 80 minute players

Karnivayne

Juniors
If there is 1 no look pass from Katoa in pre season i would be shipping him off to one of our feeder teams, Tigers or the Sharks.

age.s

First Grade
Seem to be against prevailing opinion here, but I'm not ready to give up on Katoa. Had some poor moments but was also in some of our best work offensively. I'm always reluctant to give up on someone who can create something out of nothing and has the ability to be a crucial point of creativity in the team. Still question whether he has the engine to be an 80 minute hooker (particularly when we're doing a lot of defence), but he's still young and could still develop it.

Not sold on Egan yet, but he is of course still young as well.

martielang

Bench
100% @age.s . You're not alone. Made some errors (very unusual for our side...) but did plenty of good which seems to get lost in the shuffle. The criticism Katoa copped was way over the top & mainly from those that had nothing to do / no one to criticise when King Griff left & Tamou was doing his bit... or from those who have an infatuation with Egan.

mxlegend99

Referee
Sione Katoa needs to have a break out season or he's going to become Masada Iosefa 2.0

2019 will be his 5th season in first grade and he is yet to prove himself as an NRL player. The potential is obvious. As it was with Masada Iosefa. But he couldnt crack it ahead of a busted Wallace and when injury handed him chances he has not taken them with both hands as you would hope.

He's just lucky Wade Egan hasn't set the world on fire either. He's still a chance at making the 9 his own. If Egan passes him though he's never getting back ahead of him.

franklin2323

Immortal
Assuming Luai signs long term. Surely they want him up to speed ASAP. You'd think he gets a bench spot so that means one of Katoa/Egan misses out.

Kilkenny

Coach
Sione Katoa needs to have a break out season or he's going to become Masada Iosefa 2.0

2019 will be his 5th season in first grade and he is yet to prove himself as an NRL player. The potential is obvious. As it was with Masada Iosefa. But he couldnt crack it ahead of a busted Wallace and when injury handed him chances he has not taken them with both hands as you would hope.

He's just lucky Wade Egan hasn't set the world on fire either. He's still a chance at making the 9 his own. If Egan passes him though he's never getting back ahead of him.

I think Sione Katoa has proved himself to be NRL quality, the question is can he develop to the next level and go well beyond 50-100 games.

Masada Iosefa was a similar style of hooker to Sione Katoa but in his case he probably lacked the desire and or dedication required to go to that next level. Had talent just didn't harness it I guess.

Both Katoa and Egan are off contract at the end of 2019 so certainly this is an important season for both. I know Gould has been quoted as saying they are our hookers going forward but the young kid Trindall from the SG Ball side could be something special and offers something different to Katoa & Egan. Looking beyond 2019 maybe only one of Katoa or Egan will survive, particularly given how our salary cap is going to be tight in 2020.

Abacus

Juniors

Katoa strikes me as a 14. Might be unfair on him but he can come on and cover hooker, backrow, maybe halves.

Abacus

Juniors
Assuming Luai signs long term. Surely they want him up to speed ASAP. You'd think he gets a bench spot so that means one of Katoa/Egan misses out.
I'd rather Luai playing as many full games as possible - if thats in reserves so be it. Too hard for a half to play 20 minutes and make his mark.

franklin2323

Immortal
I'd rather Luai playing as many full games as possible - if thats in reserves so be it. Too hard for a half to play 20 minutes and make his mark.

It's a tough one how to handle him clearly not a starter yet. Do you get him training as a hooker and say fullback or keep him as halves only. It would be less games but could help further develop

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
100% @age.s . The criticism Katoa copped was way over the top & mainly from those that had nothing to do / no one to criticise when King Griff left & Tamou was doing his bit... or from those who have an infatuation with Egan.

Or... and I'm just spitballing here - they just don't think he's that good? Far be it from me to tear you away from your spirited fan-fiction rewriting of this forum's beloved characters, but sometimes it is really that simple - he is not really that good.

Kilkenny

Coach
Or... and I'm just spitballing here - they just don't think he's that good? Far be it from me to tear you away from your spirited fan-fiction rewriting of this forum's beloved characters, but sometimes it is really that simple - he is not really that good.

Your opinion probably doesn't count for too much given your well documented bias against the Panthers.

I don't recall too many positive posts, if any, from you about anything surrounding our club so why would Sione Katoa be any different.

Maybe your credibility would benefit from coming on here once in while and actually posting something from a positive point of view. I know it's not going to happen but the less gullible may buy it.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Your opinion probably doesn't count for too much given your well documented bias against the Panthers.

I don't recall too many positive posts, if any, from you about anything surrounding our club so why would Sione Katoa be any different.

Maybe your credibility would benefit from coming on here once in while and actually posting something from a positive point of view. I know it's not going to happen but the less gullible may buy it.

This again? Do you have it marked on the calendar every couple of months "Moan About What Random Strangers on the Internet Think About Sport"? Well tick it off and go back into hibernation, you grumpy old sod.

Kilkenny

Coach
This again? Do you have it marked on the calendar every couple of months "Moan About What Random Strangers on the Internet Think About Sport"? Well tick it off and go back into hibernation, you grumpy old sod.

Prove me wrong. It's not that hard. Just go into your login where you will see all of your posts all 4,141 if you want to look at them and find those where you have actually said anything of a positive nature.

You provide the proof and I will be more than happy to eat humble pie.

I am not the grumpy one by any stretch. I am the positive one. Can't wait for the 2019 season regardless of what it may bring. Maybe you should go to a game you might actually enjoy it.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Prove me wrong. It's not that hard. Just go into your login where you will see all of your posts all 4,141 if you want to look at them and find those where you have actually said anything of a positive nature.

You provide the proof and I will be more than happy to eat humble pie.

I am not the grumpy one by any stretch. I am the positive one. Can't wait for the 2019 season regardless of what it may bring. Maybe you should go to a game you might actually enjoy it.

Here's one:

Are you kidding me, go and look at them yourself you lazy bastard

martielang

Bench

I've missed you Billy.

Matthew Ellis

Juniors
100% @age.s . You're not alone. Made some errors (very unusual for our side...) but did plenty of good which seems to get lost in the shuffle. The criticism Katoa copped was way over the top & mainly from those that had nothing to do / no one to criticise when King Griff left & Tamou was doing his bit... or from those who have an infatuation with Egan.
A fair few of our line breaks/tries came off the back of his trick shots around the ruck. I think he needs to play a bit more like Api Koroisau. Skillful passing at times but but mix it up with running the ball. He's pretty quick and built low to the ground, always seems to get quick qtb on the rare occasions he runs it.

I wouldn't go as far as to say he had a really good year but doesn't deserve some of the more extreme criticism.