What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hook's Heroes

getsmarty

Immortal
birdj-try-210411_bc_ab2w8216_2021411183551.jpg

DRAGONS

The simple philosophy behind Dragons' top-four rise
Author
Brad Walter & Troy Whittaker
Timestamp
Sat 17 Apr 2021, 10:01 AM
Share on social media
St George Illawarra players prepare to play for up to 90 minutes and expect they will only have the ball for five minutes each match.

It's part of Dragons coach Anthony Griffin's mantra of playing for each other and be prepared to do whatever it takes that has led to the team climbing into the top four after four consecutive wins.

On the eve of Sunday's match against the Warriors at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium, St George Illawarra players spoke about some of the reasons behind their stunning turnaround after being humbled by South Sydney in the Charity Shied and beaten by Cronulla in round one.

"We're building nicely as a team. Our focus is team-first," fullback Matt Dufty said. "We're '75 minutes without the ball' and doing your job for your teammate.

"I think it's been a real good platform for the boys to build off. You're playing for something more than yourself and you're playing for the other 17 people out there."

Griffin told his players to prepare as if they'll only have the ball for a few minutes per game. He also told them they need to be ready for every game to go to golden point extra time.

remote.axd

Dufty: We are playing for each other

"We plan to go for 90 minutes, it is just the mentality we have," said forward Trent Merrin, who this week will make his 250th appearance across the NRL and Super League, just a week after celebrating his milestone 150th game for the Dragons.

"If it goes past the 80 minutes, we are ready to go 90 minutes and do whatever it takes. We are prepared to keep defending sets, put our bodies where they don't want to go and keep working for each other."

St George Illawarra players had overcome 10 six-again calls and the sin-binning of second-rower Tariq Sims in last weekend's 26-12 defeat of the previously unbeaten Eels at Bankwest Stadium.

Dufty said the Dragons' scrambling defence was due to the camaraderie and attitude developed in the pre-season under Griffin, while teammates revealed that the new coach barely spoke to them about football.

"Hook has been driving it since day one of pre-season," Dufty said. "Even when we were doing laps around the oval, just ridiculous kilometres, he was saying 'you find that extra metre, that extra second in the time for your teammate – don't worry about yourself'.

"If you're thinking about yourself, then you're letting your teammates down. I think everyone really bought into it and I think you can tell out there [on the field] by our scramble.

"Maybe last year we wouldn't have done it – or we would have – but this year, there's a real focus on that if someone gets beaten it's not their fault, it's the other people's fault that they weren't there to help them out.

"Having a real focus on team-first is something that's been a really big stepping stone for me as well. It's good to go out there and think about it. It makes you a lot calmer because you know you're doing it for your teammates."

remote.axd

Dragons v Warriors - Round 6

Star centre Zac Lomax said about one per cent of his conversations with Griffin were about football and the rest about life.

"The best thing about Hook is he's a great fella and person before he's a coach," Lomax said. "You can talk to him about anything. Football comes last to him – the person comes first.

"I've clicked really quickly with Hook, I've taken so much away from him, more as a person and understanding life in general.

"Once you cross that stripe at training it's a hundred per cent footy, he brings the best out of you, but it's all about being a good person first. We're fortunate enough to be football players but we're people first and foremost."

Forward Josh Kerr said Griffin had taken an interest in his family and life away from the NRL.

Griffin had also challenged him to put on weight and make the transition from the middle to the second row.

"When we went to Townsville we had a connecting flight in Brisbane and my parents came to airport to see me. He wanted to come down to meet them," Kerr said. "He had a good chat with my old man and he does really care about the person you are off the field.

"He knows when to coach you and when to be a mentor to you. He is really good like that. He's all for having a laugh at training but he gives you the hard word. He's given me a few hard words, I'll tell you that.

"One of the best things Hook has done for me is make me realise I can do a lot of things I thought I couldn't do.

"Manly was my first 80-minute game and it was crazy. Being 118 kilos and playing 80 minutes in the back row, I didn't think I'd be able to do that but I have."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/04/17/the-simple-philosophy-behind-dragons-top-four-rise/

Maddragon99

Juniors
birdj-try-210411_bc_ab2w8216_2021411183551.jpg

DRAGONS

The simple philosophy behind Dragons' top-four rise
Author
Brad Walter & Troy Whittaker
Timestamp
Sat 17 Apr 2021, 10:01 AM
Share on social media
St George Illawarra players prepare to play for up to 90 minutes and expect they will only have the ball for five minutes each match.

It's part of Dragons coach Anthony Griffin's mantra of playing for each other and be prepared to do whatever it takes that has led to the team climbing into the top four after four consecutive wins.

On the eve of Sunday's match against the Warriors at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium, St George Illawarra players spoke about some of the reasons behind their stunning turnaround after being humbled by South Sydney in the Charity Shied and beaten by Cronulla in round one.

"We're building nicely as a team. Our focus is team-first," fullback Matt Dufty said. "We're '75 minutes without the ball' and doing your job for your teammate.

"I think it's been a real good platform for the boys to build off. You're playing for something more than yourself and you're playing for the other 17 people out there."

Griffin told his players to prepare as if they'll only have the ball for a few minutes per game. He also told them they need to be ready for every game to go to golden point extra time.

remote.axd

"We plan to go for 90 minutes, it is just the mentality we have," said forward Trent Merrin, who this week will make his 250th appearance across the NRL and Super League, just a week after celebrating his milestone 150th game for the Dragons.

"If it goes past the 80 minutes, we are ready to go 90 minutes and do whatever it takes. We are prepared to keep defending sets, put our bodies where they don't want to go and keep working for each other."

St George Illawarra players had overcome 10 six-again calls and the sin-binning of second-rower Tariq Sims in last weekend's 26-12 defeat of the previously unbeaten Eels at Bankwest Stadium.

Dufty said the Dragons' scrambling defence was due to the camaraderie and attitude developed in the pre-season under Griffin, while teammates revealed that the new coach barely spoke to them about football.

"Hook has been driving it since day one of pre-season," Dufty said. "Even when we were doing laps around the oval, just ridiculous kilometres, he was saying 'you find that extra metre, that extra second in the time for your teammate – don't worry about yourself'.

"If you're thinking about yourself, then you're letting your teammates down. I think everyone really bought into it and I think you can tell out there [on the field] by our scramble.

"Maybe last year we wouldn't have done it – or we would have – but this year, there's a real focus on that if someone gets beaten it's not their fault, it's the other people's fault that they weren't there to help them out.

"Having a real focus on team-first is something that's been a really big stepping stone for me as well. It's good to go out there and think about it. It makes you a lot calmer because you know you're doing it for your teammates."

remote.axd

Star centre Zac Lomax said about one per cent of his conversations with Griffin were about football and the rest about life.

"The best thing about Hook is he's a great fella and person before he's a coach," Lomax said. "You can talk to him about anything. Football comes last to him – the person comes first.

"I've clicked really quickly with Hook, I've taken so much away from him, more as a person and understanding life in general.

"Once you cross that stripe at training it's a hundred per cent footy, he brings the best out of you, but it's all about being a good person first. We're fortunate enough to be football players but we're people first and foremost."

Forward Josh Kerr said Griffin had taken an interest in his family and life away from the NRL.

Griffin had also challenged him to put on weight and make the transition from the middle to the second row.

"When we went to Townsville we had a connecting flight in Brisbane and my parents came to airport to see me. He wanted to come down to meet them," Kerr said. "He had a good chat with my old man and he does really care about the person you are off the field.

"He knows when to coach you and when to be a mentor to you. He is really good like that. He's all for having a laugh at training but he gives you the hard word. He's given me a few hard words, I'll tell you that.

"One of the best things Hook has done for me is make me realise I can do a lot of things I thought I couldn't do.

"Manly was my first 80-minute game and it was crazy. Being 118 kilos and playing 80 minutes in the back row, I didn't think I'd be able to do that but I have."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/04/17/the-simple-philosophy-behind-dragons-top-four-rise/
Great article I was just about to
Post it myself. I wonder when the club will look to extend Hook, he’s doing a great job, last year I was annoyed when we missed out on Fitzgibbon but I think everything has worked out really well for us. Good luck to Fitz with Cronulla they are a mess! Karma is a bitch.

getsmarty

Immortal
EXCLUSIVE: Andrew Johns lauds Anthony Griffin's impact at St George-Illawarra Dragons
By Sacha Mirzabegian
10 hours ago
https%3A%2F%2Fvms-network-images-prod.s3-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com%2F2021%2F04%2F352864%2FpickerImage.jpg

League great Andrew Johns has lauded new coach Anthony Griffin's 'old school' tactics that have 'simplified' St George-Illawarra's playing style, while conceding his predictions for the club were way off the mark this season.

"I actually saw Josh Kerr (Dragons forward) near my place and we had a chat," he said on Wide World of Sports' Immortal Behaviour.

"He said ''Hook' is old school he coaches the real effort areas and is quite simple'. But he's got them playing for him."

After being smashed by South Sydney in the Charity Shield and beaten by Cronulla in round one, the Dragons have gone on a four-game winning streak, shocking Parramatta with a 26-12 upset victory at Bankwest Stadium in Round Four.

NRL Highlights: The Dragons too good for the Eels at Bankwest.
The Dragons proved their mental make up as a team this year is completely different against the Eels as Griffin's men overcame 10 six-again calls and the sin-binning of second-rower Tariq Sims to still walk away with a dominant victory.

It's a remarkable and turnaround for a team that won only seven games last year under the guidance of club great Paul McGregor, who failed to get the best out of his players since being appointed head coach in 2014.

"He's simplified the way they're playing and its probably just that different voice," Johns added. "Sometimes you need a different voice. Paul McGregor did a great job.

"He had been there for a while they sort of looked a little bit stale but the style of play they're playing now… they're playing so physical. So tough and you can see how much they're loving playing."

Griffin was unceremoniously dumped by Penrith only two years ago and coached the Broncos for four seasons before that. While many leading voices in the game cast doubt on his impact on the modern game, the unheralded coach has instilled a toughness to the Saints nobody expected, including Johns.

The League immortal said the Saints are also injury-free which helped their aggressive style, but questioned whether the club could maintain consistency as the season goes on.

"How long they can sustain this physical style of play it's going to be the big challenge for them. They've got no injuries at the moment which helps.

"I thought they were wooden spooners for sure. I thought he'd be the first coach to get sacked. I think a lot of people were after the Charity Field when they got absolutely smashed. He's doing such a great job."

Along with the likes of Matt Dufty, Jack Bird, Ben Hunt, Andrew McCullough and Corey Norman, fiery forward Sims has been arguably the most dominant edge forward in the game over the opening month, according to Johns.

"Tariq Sims in that game in Newcastle. I remember when he burst onto the scene with the Cowboys.

"Then he had a real bad break on his leg and he sort of plateaued a bit. But he's back to that form where he is almost Tallis-like.

"Paul Vaughan he's improved out of sight. Matt Dufty looks like a different player. Corey Norman as well."

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nrl-ne...-griffin/d3269bb8-c5e1-48cb-86f3-e22fb190d518

Crush

Coach
EXCLUSIVE: Andrew Johns lauds Anthony Griffin's impact at St George-Illawarra Dragons
By Sacha Mirzabegian
10 hours ago
https%3A%2F%2Fvms-network-images-prod.s3-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com%2F2021%2F04%2F352864%2FpickerImage.jpg

League great Andrew Johns has lauded new coach Anthony Griffin's 'old school' tactics that have 'simplified' St George-Illawarra's playing style, while conceding his predictions for the club were way off the mark this season.

"I actually saw Josh Kerr (Dragons forward) near my place and we had a chat," he said on Wide World of Sports' Immortal Behaviour.

"He said ''Hook' is old school he coaches the real effort areas and is quite simple'. But he's got them playing for him."

After being smashed by South Sydney in the Charity Shield and beaten by Cronulla in round one, the Dragons have gone on a four-game winning streak, shocking Parramatta with a 26-12 upset victory at Bankwest Stadium in Round Four.

NRL Highlights: The Dragons too good for the Eels at Bankwest.
The Dragons proved their mental make up as a team this year is completely different against the Eels as Griffin's men overcame 10 six-again calls and the sin-binning of second-rower Tariq Sims to still walk away with a dominant victory.

It's a remarkable and turnaround for a team that won only seven games last year under the guidance of club great Paul McGregor, who failed to get the best out of his players since being appointed head coach in 2014.

"He's simplified the way they're playing and its probably just that different voice," Johns added. "Sometimes you need a different voice. Paul McGregor did a great job.

"He had been there for a while they sort of looked a little bit stale but the style of play they're playing now… they're playing so physical. So tough and you can see how much they're loving playing."

Griffin was unceremoniously dumped by Penrith only two years ago and coached the Broncos for four seasons before that. While many leading voices in the game cast doubt on his impact on the modern game, the unheralded coach has instilled a toughness to the Saints nobody expected, including Johns.

The League immortal said the Saints are also injury-free which helped their aggressive style, but questioned whether the club could maintain consistency as the season goes on.

"How long they can sustain this physical style of play it's going to be the big challenge for them. They've got no injuries at the moment which helps.

"I thought they were wooden spooners for sure. I thought he'd be the first coach to get sacked. I think a lot of people were after the Charity Field when they got absolutely smashed. He's doing such a great job."

Along with the likes of Matt Dufty, Jack Bird, Ben Hunt, Andrew McCullough and Corey Norman, fiery forward Sims has been arguably the most dominant edge forward in the game over the opening month, according to Johns.

"Tariq Sims in that game in Newcastle. I remember when he burst onto the scene with the Cowboys.

"Then he had a real bad break on his leg and he sort of plateaued a bit. But he's back to that form where he is almost Tallis-like.

"Paul Vaughan he's improved out of sight. Matt Dufty looks like a different player. Corey Norman as well."

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nrl-ne...-griffin/d3269bb8-c5e1-48cb-86f3-e22fb190d518
“They’ve got no injuries”
What do you call Ben Hunt out for a month?
What do you call Can McInnes out for the season?
Andrew Johns is a muppet.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I like him but yeah you are spot on. Literally our two best players are out. We are basically in the same position as the Rorters with Friend and Keary gone (although Keary is gone for the season) No one bats an eyelid.

ALSGI

Bench
Just mind blowing really is, these guys are paid a bucket load for their opinion and analysis. It’s one thing to omit our injuries but to actually say injury free is a joke. Watch other experts read that crap and also say they’re injury free.

Just mind blowing really is, these guys are paid a bucket load for their opinion and analysis. It’s one thing to omit our injuries but to actually say injury free is a joke. Watch other experts read that crap and also say they’re injury free.

Joey may be an “immortal” rugby league half back but he is not an expert commentator.

Ignoring Hunt’s injury whilst not season ending, and Lawrie’s is another example of media bias against our club.

Maddragon99

Juniors
I like him but yeah you are spot on. Literally our two best players are out. We are basically in the same position as the Rorters with Friend and Keary gone (although Keary is gone for the season) No one bats an eyelid.
To be fair the Rorters are also missing Cordener he’s a big loss for them

Bayside Dragon

Juniors
Great article I was just about to
Post it myself. I wonder when the club will look to extend Hook, he’s doing a great job, last year I was annoyed when we missed out on Fitzgibbon but I think everything has worked out really well for us. Good luck to Fitz with Cronulla they are a mess! Karma is a bitch.
Looks like our invitation to Fitzgibbon to apply to be our coach was definitely a thanks but no thanks situation. At the time it was reported that he was being groomed to take over at the Roosters. Hasn't stopped him going with the gummies. What a reality check for us fans. More likely he didnt want the job for any money ......and we would have paid big overs...... like we did for everybody else.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Looks like our invitation to Fitzgibbon to apply to be our coach was definitely a thanks but no thanks situation. At the time it was reported that he was being groomed to take over at the Roosters. Hasn't stopped him going with the gummies. What a reality check for us fans. More likely he didnt want the job for any money ......and we would have paid big overs...... like we did for everybody else.
The Dragons coaching job was almost Fitzgibbon’s birth right given his family’s long association in The Illawarra & the fact he played for us in the ‘99 GF. But he went a different way & I think he’ll struggle in Cronulla. We’ve got Hook now & I think we’re all happy with the way things worked out. Go you mighty Dragons!