What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hook's Heroes

Old Timer

Coach
Always so angry and aggressive..

Just a simple question.. No need for that kinds of response.. Do you scream obscenities at the kid at McDonalds when they ask if you want fries with your burger?

I find it intriguing that you are always bumping this thread after the discussion dies away..

Is it like a blog for you?
You ask a question and get a response and them you pan the response in an effort to justify your position.

If I have something to say on the subject where would you have me post it?

In your twisted world of your own self importance you think people are like you trying to stay relevant without adding anything meaningful.

You love playing the policeman well guess what it’s not your job merkin.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
You ask a question and get a response and them you pan the response in an effort to justify your position.

If I have something to say on the subject where would you have me post it?

In your twisted world of your own self importance you think people are like you trying to stay relevant without adding anything meaningful.

You love playing the policeman well guess what it’s not your job merkin.
This really isn’t the right way to engage with readers of your blog.

By providing an avenue for readers to ask questions of the author so that they can better understand the background to the blog will help foster engagement and connection to the blog.

Old Timer

Coach

By providing an avenue for readers to ask questions of the author so that they can better understand the background to the blog will help foster engagement and connection to the blog.
It doesn’t matter how happily this place can ever run you will always go out of your way to antagonise someone and cause unrest and if you cop a serve you put your hands up start crying and saying “what did I do”

You have often misguidedly questioned my loyalty to this club and wrongly accused me as always being negative yet when positivity is shown you wish to question it or in fact sensor it.

As I have said to you before you are like the scorpion in the fable of “The Frog and the Scorpion” just can’t help yourself it is in your DNA.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
It doesn’t matter how happily this place can ever run you will always go out of your way to antagonise someone and cause unrest and if you cop a serve you put your hands up start crying and saying “what did I do”

You have often misguidedly questioned my loyalty to this club and wrongly accused me as always being negative yet when positivity is shown you wish to question it or in fact sensor it.

As I have said to you before you are like the scorpion in the fable of “The Frog and the Scorpion” just can’t help yourself it is in your DNA.
Hmm, maybe the blog concept isn’t for you..

But I do believe there is a good story developing..

Have you thought of turning it into a podcast? Can reach a big audience, you don’t have to worry about immediate audience feedback..

Plus it can be a good revenue stream if you can get sponsors for it..

I’d also recommend trademarking the “hooks heroes” thing.. It’s quite catchy & I reckon it won’t be long before someone like Phil Rothfield tries to use it..

Old Timer

Coach
Hmm, maybe the blog concept isn’t for you..

But I do believe there is a good story developing..

Have you thought of turning it into a podcast? Can reach a big audience, you don’t have to worry about immediate audience feedback..

Plus it can be a good revenue stream if you can get sponsors for it..

I’d also recommend trademarking the “hooks heroes” thing.. It’s quite catchy & I reckon it won’t be long before someone like Phil Rothfield tries to use it..
You seriously need to think before you post.

If you believe the scenario you painted is even remotely close to being the reason I posted you are one seriously f**ked up individual.

It is incredible that your mind can even work in such a twisted f**ked up manner, unless of course you believe that is what you are capable of and then attribute that perverse behaviour to others or that you are trying to find yet another way to derail a thread.

We are 3 from 4 and definitely on the up with lots of heroic performances by a team that was touted for the spoon and you want to have a crack at people being positive.

Poor old muzby boo hoo no longer the centre of attention and trying to make himself be relevant by playing forum policeman lol.

St GI shaking off the Illawarra malaise and showing real dragon fire power must be shitting you up the wall.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member

If you believe the scenario you painted is even remotely close to being the reason I posted you are one seriously f**ked up individual.

It is incredible that your mind can even work in such a twisted f**ked up manner, unless of course you believe that is what you are capable of and then attribute that perverse behaviour to others or that you are trying to find yet another way to derail a thread.

We are 3 from 4 and definitely on the up with lots of heroic performances by a team that was touted for the spoon and you want to have a crack at people being positive.

Poor old muzby boo hoo no longer the centre of attention and trying to make himself be relevant by playing forum policeman lol.

St GI shaking off the Illawarra malaise and showing real dragon fire power must be shitting you up the wall.
I’m not sure adding me as an extra antagonist in the story will help.

Just the team beating adversity and making the doubters eat their words is all we need to make the story compelling..

Afterall, the public does love a good underdog story..

Having thought about it more, I reckon the podcast is definitely the way to go..

If you’re insure if you have the vocal talent to captivate the audience, I’ll happily help you out and won’t even charge you for my skills..

Let me know..

redv13

Bench

Forum policeman, more like forum f**kwit.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Forum policeman, more like forum f**kwit.
Now that’s not very nice.

I think OT has struck gold with his hooks heroes Tagline and am offering a way to have his words reach the masses.

If you don’t have anything nice to say, please go away as he’s easily confused and may go on a rant.

redv13

Bench
Now that’s not very nice.

I think OT has struck gold with his hooks heroes Tagline and am offering a way to have his words reach the masses.

If you don’t have anything nice to say, please go away as he’s easily confused and may go on a rant.
This place is buzzing after a really good win and right on cue the shit stirrer arrives to cause grief. You just can’t help yourself can you??

getsmarty

Immortal
simst--210404pb-2561_202144164848.jpg

DRAGONS

'Refused to lose': Griffin proud of Dragons' steely resolve
Author
Brett Keeble NRL.com reporter
Timestamp
Sun 4 Apr 2021, 09:07 PM
Share on social media
St George Illawarra are a long way from where coach Anthony Griffin wants them to be, but he was pleased with their resolve and resilience in beating a bashed-up Newcastle on Sunday.

Dismissed as wooden-spoon candidates by many punters and pundits during the pre-season, the Dragons posted their third straight win after victories over the Cowboys and Sea Eagles in the previous two weeks to be sitting sixth heading into next Sunday’s game against Parramatta.

Griffin acknowledged Newcastle’s crippling injury toll, which included losing Mitchell Pearce (pectoral muscle), Kurt Mann (concussion) and Tex Hoy (hamstring) on Sunday, but the Dragons were without Ben Hunt and Jack Bird and lost Cameron McInnes before the season kicked off.

The visitors also had to stay composed enough to recover from a 13-6 deficit early in the second half in front of a parochial pro-Knights crowd of 21,770, but they did exactly that to enhance their remarkable record in Newcastle to 18 wins from 23 games.

Adam Clune looked sharp as Hunt’s replacement alongside Corey Norman in the halves and Brayden Williame, filling in for the suspended Bird in the centres, scored the match-sealing try from a Norman stab kick in the 67th minute.

remote.axd

Match Highlights: Knights v Dragons

Match Highlights: Knights v Dragons

"Our blokes have just got a real will to compete at the moment … I just like the way they’re competing and they keep coming to the game," Griffin said.

"We were really messy in the first half but the second half we were 16 from 18, and obviously a lot more direct, and I thought Cluney did a real good job.

"The Knights were really brave – they had a lot of problems – but at this level you’ve just got to do what you’ve got to do. It wasn’t pretty from us for long periods but defensively, they just refused to lose in the second half.

"Again, it’s only four weeks and the opposition were down on troops, but we had to come in without our halfback and captain and Jack Bird, and McInnes is gone for the year, so we had a fair hole in our salary cap today.

"They’re just really enjoying their footy at the moment, and it’s come off the back of all the hard work they did in November, December and January, and we’re finding a way to win at the moment."

The Knights thrashed the Dragons 42-18 in the corresponding game last September amid a string of heavy losses that highlighted St George Illawarra’s lack of effort in defence.

Griffin said the Dragons still had some work to do to fine-tune their attack as "we left a few points out there today" but, after he had identified the need to improve their resilience in defence, he was pleased with their progress in that department.

remote.axd

Sims charges down a Green kick and he has a double

Sims charges down a Green kick and he has a double

"I’m very respectful of what’s happened in the past at this club but obviously we needed to improve and change a lot of things that we did as a club and one of them is defence, and you don’t get defence without attitude," he said.

"There’s a lot of things, but I think the main thing is attitude. They’ve got a real desire to want to play, and want to play for each other, and that’s the most important thing.

"Again, it’s round four, but we’ve done a good job up to this point to put ourselves where we are."

Griffin said Tariq Sims, who scored two tries against his old club in an eight-minute burst midway through the second half to turn the game, had recovered well after a slow start to the season.

remote.axd

Sims steams onto a Clune pass

Sims steams onto a Clune pass

Sims charged down attempted clearing kicks by Pearce in the first half and Blake Green in the second, and he regathered his chargedown of Green’s kick to score his second try.

"Last week against Manly he was very good and he was in everything today," Griffin said of the former NSW Origin forward.

"He’s got his physicality back on both sides of the ball, and I thought his chargedown was obviously something that turned the game, and that’s an effort play.

"He’s just enjoying his football like most of them, and it’s good to see him in that form again."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/04/04/refused-to-lose-griffin-proud-of-dragons-steely-resolve/

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
This place is buzzing after a really good win and right on cue the shit stirrer arrives to cause grief. You just can’t help yourself can you??
I’ve been nothing but polite and on topic and trying to help boost the hooks heroes brand.

Seems to me like there’s only one person trying to stir shit in here and that’s you.

Now, if you don’t mind, I’ve got a podcast to try and set up.

getsmarty

Immortal
How Hook turned ‘damaged’ Dragons into a Dads Army of fit and firing NRL rejects
Dragons
simon_brunsdon.jpg

4908b16d7ea6158ca40296fbc06412a1

Dragons signing Andrew McCullough celebrates a try.Source: News Corp Australia
St George Illawarra was meant to be a wooden spoon contender this year.
Instead the Dragons are sitting fourth on the ladder after five rounds and looking like a genuine born-again finals threat.

And much of the praise for this unexpected purple form must go to new coach Anthony Griffin, who was doubted by many before a ball had even been kicked this season.

His side has won four of the opening five games, shocking Parramatta on Sunday with a 26-12 upset victory at Bankwest Stadium - a performance that even surprised the coach.

“That’s the first real big test, playing a top-four side... I’d say I was pleased,” Griffin told NRL 360 on Monday.

“To go to Parramatta and win like that was really pleasing.”

It’s a remarkable and sudden turnaround for a team that won only seven games last year, eight the season before that, and finished those in 12th and 15th place respectively.

Those dire results forced the Dragons to sack Paul McGregor from the coaching chair mid-campaign.

800040_640x360_large_20210413132353.jpg

Dragons are "desperate for success"

3:28
They went to market and found Griffin, but that appointment ruffled the feathers of certain people in league land.

Griffin had, after all, been unceremoniously dumped by Penrith only two years earlier. Before that he had coached the Broncos for four seasons without making a grand final.

Could this really be the guy capable of dragging the proud merger club out of the NRL quagmire?

Well, on current form, the answer has to be yes.

And this is how he’s doing it.

A ‘DADS ARMY’ OF BARGAIN BUYS

The Dragons were struggling to get their salary cap under control.

Battling halves Ben Hunt and Corey Norman are raking in $2 million between them.

They previously had Jack de Belin’s salary sitting on their books while he remains stood down and fighting rape charges in court. If he is acquitted and allowed to return to the fold, the club needs room to fit him back in.

637d214b8febba43bf90ab7dd7169fb6

St George Illawarra Dragons coach Anthony Griffin at training.Source: Supplied
St George Illawarra will lose Cameron McInnes to the Sharks but he isn’t leaving until the end of the year, and he’s also on a sizeable salary while out injured for the entire season.

It meant Griffin didn’t have a lot of cash to splash but he had holes in the team he wanted to fill with blokes he knew and trusted.

He wasted no time.

In November he landed the first big scalp when the Dragons signed former local junior Jack Bird.

Bird had been earning $800,000 a season at Red Hill but he had barely played in three years due to a series of serious injuries.

He was contracted to Brisbane for 2021 but the club happily released him and the Red V snapped him up for a fraction of that price. He’s now getting back to his best footy playing at left centre.

The next big move Griffin made was to bring veteran hooker Andrew McCullough to Wollongong, also on the cheap.

Again, the Broncos were all too happy to let McCullough go given he had suffered a serious hamstring injury last year and most thought his best footy was behind him.

For the Broncos they saw it as a chance to get two busted footballers off their books. Griffin, and the Dragons, saw it as an opportunity to get quality players for minimal money.

“For the type of person (McCullough) is, the type of leader he is, and that combination (with Hunt) I thought it was a great fit for the club,” Griffin said.

“He’s not the quickest hooker in the league but he makes everyone around him better with his service and his decision making, his leadership and toughness.

“It suited our budget, the trade with Brisbane, we both did very well out of it, and I was prepared to back him for another two years.”

The forward pack also has some new additions which the Dragons bought for a bargain.

Daniel Alvaro jumped ship from the Eels, where he was loaned to the Warriors last year and only played eight games for the entire season.

He’s played all five for his new club this year and looks to have found a new lease on life.

On Tuesday, St George Illawarra confirmed the signing of veteran hardman Josh McGuire, who the Cowboys agreed to release immediately.

Again, the Dragons found a quality player for a low price.

“He’s someone with experience, he’s played for Queensland, played for Australia, played a lot of finals football, he’s an extremely tough competitor,” Griffin said.

“And he’s probably underperforming where he is (at the Cowboys), which puts him on the market.

“He comes, with all due respect, at the right price for us, and I know what he brings to a team. I think he will be a great asset to the Dragons.”

If the Dragons are a ‘Dads Army’ outfit then Griffin is Captain Mainwaring leading from the helm (no offence intended, Hook).

‘DAMAGED’ DRAGONS FIND NEW LEGS

St George Illawarra was a bit of a laughing stock last year and the sacking of McGregor mid-season showed just how low the club had sunk.

Not many players were consistently putting in good performances, and the likes of Norman and Hunt certainly weren’t playing to their sizeable paycheques.

Suddenly some of them are playing their best football in years.

None more so than Hunt, who was in some white-hot form before breaking his leg a fortnight ago.

He had seriously battled to fulfil his $1.2 million salary in Wollongong, and was last year punted from halfback to play hooker in a move McGregor hoped would reinvigorate the former star.

Griffin shocked the NRL world when he named Hunt captain at the start of this year, punting McInnes from the role.

The bold decision had the desired effect on the player.

4908b16d7ea6158ca40296fbc06412a1

Dragons signing Andrew McCullough celebrates a try.Source: News Corp Australia
“I think he’s a good leader. He hadn’t been captain before but I’ve known him since he was 18 and he’s always had leadership qualities,” Griffin told NRL 360.

“He’s a really proud person, he works really hard. He’s desperate for some success, and I thought the captaincy would empower him, he needed the responsibility to draw out his best performances.”

The halves weren’t the only ones struggling for form in recent seasons.

Players like Matt Dufty, Mikaele Ravalawa, and a host of young forwards seem to have hit top gear under Griffin.

Last month Dufty lifted the lid on the “toxic environment” that had festered at the club.

“I didn’t know if I was going to play or get dropped – I didn’t think I should have, but that’s footy and I have grown up a lot since then,” he said.

“I’m a confidence player and I think when the year went on, I was confident in my own ability.”

The new coach concedes things weren’t so rosy when he arrived in the coastal city.

“The players... a lot of talent on the list but a little bit damaged, low in confidence,” he said.

“Good club, good people desperate for success.

“No one likes losing, particularly at this level. There’s a lot of expectation on every club and the people involved.

“The Dragons had a low couple of years and they obviously weren’t happy with it. From the top down they are really good people and there is great growth opportunities.”

Griffin is well on his way to proving a lot of people very, very wrong.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/826ef74758ac9e2f0d095c239b2f767a

Tim.butler

Juniors
Speaking of Hook’s Heroes, what is the status of two of our future Heroes in Jayden Sullivan and Junior Amone. Is Sullivan back from injury yet? How is Amone going?

Overseas dragon

Juniors

. Maybe you should leave your dick alone . marmalade man

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Speaking of Hook’s Heroes, what is the status of two of our future Heroes in Jayden Sullivan and Junior Amone. Is Sullivan back from injury yet? How is Amone going?

Welcome Tim, your first post 6yrs in the making.

Bud is out injured, again, atm, issue with a hammy time frame min 4 weeks.

Jr is playing SG Ball for the Steelers and they play their elimination final tomorrow if I'm not mistaken. He's playing well and should progress to JF squad once they finish the SG Ball season. Tyrell Sloan will also probably progress to the JF squad, but he, like Bud is out injured at present. There will be others as well like Coric and Sherab to name a few that look very promising and may well be future Hook's heroes.

Tim.butler

Juniors
Welcome Tim, your first post 6yrs in the making.

Bud is out injured, again, atm, issue with a hammy time frame min 4 weeks.

Jr is playing SG Ball for the Steelers and they play their elimination final tomorrow if I'm not mistaken. He's playing well and should progress to JF squad once they finish the SG Ball season. Tyrell Sloan will also probably progress to the JF squad, but he, like Bud is out injured at present. There will be others as well like Coric and Sherab to name a few that look very promising and may well be future Hook's heroes.

Thanks Dragonslayer. Great to be able to get an update on what’s happening behind the scenes. Keep the insights coming.