What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hoppa

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
The Bible is a made up story written by a guy named Fred some 1950 years ago.

Nice bloke, Fred. He'd wake up every morning by slapping his own face with an animal hide. No one really knew why, but then no one questioned it either. He'd write for up to 14 hours a day. His only friend was a pet rock that he called Rocky.

He died before he could write the last chapter where Jebus would be reincarnated as a surly conspiracy theorist who traversed all the online forums of the world, calling anyone who believed in this made up story an 'idiot'.

I believe there will be a documentary about Fred on the ABC later in the year.

guruminga

Juniors
Like some of you other mob have said, there's more historical evidence that Jesus lived and did extraordinary things than there is evidence that Julius Ceasar existed. Another interesting thing to note is that Jesus said some pretty shocking things about himself, so much that the religious leaders of the time wanted him dead. When they killed him, the blokes that were following him became a bunch of scaredy cats and went into hiding. One of his most loyal followers even denied knowing him for fear they'd kill him too.
Then something happened to turn these timid guys that were in hiding into bold men that were willing to die (and a few of them were killed) to tell others about Jesus. The influence of these few blokes has turned into a pretty huge group called Christians; and yes there's many types of Christians that agree and disagree about a heap of things, but most agree on a few key things about him. Much like we're a group of people that follow a footy team that have blue and gold jerseys. We all have different reasons for following them and we also disagree about a heap of stuff to do with them, but at the end of the day, we love the Eels and all love them to win games and hope they'll win the comp sometime soon.

G

oldmancraigy

Coach
No they weren't and if memory serves me correctly, the very first of these texts were written around a whole 50 to 200 years after his supposed demise.

You're an idiot. There were professional scribes everywhere in those days, and not one of them thought it warranted a sentence or two to note that there was this great healer/miracle man who was sticking to the establishment authority.

Like I said you guys are delusional fools.

Dear Ram,

National Treasure 1,2 and 3 are not documentaries.

Sincerely,
oldie

yy_cheng

Coach
I don't have any issues with tiger s supporters who believe s that Brooks is the Messiah

they can believe what they want even though I think he has troubles with his defense

however don't try to convert me over and over

like saying do you live in the southwest, yes, did you grow up there ?I grew up near Luscombe oval and the first match II ever attended was during on wooden benches watching the magpies vs South's

then why don't you believe he is the Christos?

because I think hayne is......

Mate your the delusional fool. It doesn't matter what religion you are, Jesus the man was written about in the Koran too. The bible is a collection of books so he was written about in more then one book.
From memory he is written about in some Roman texts also.

Why is the fact that Jesus is written about in the Koran (the new bits of which were written 500 years after Jesus' apparent lifetime) in any way evidence of his existence?

As I said above...the reason for doubt is that his appearance in Roman/ Greek texts basically all occurs several decades or more after his apparent lifetime, and refers to the stories (true or otherwise) being spoken of by the writers of the various gospels and their followers. These writings include several books which in the end didn't make it through the filters applied by the church in the coming centuries (e.g. the Gospel of St Thomas, which tells quite a different story of the life and actions of the Jesus guy....i.e. no miracles, just a nice bloke who had a bit to say).

Like some of you other mob have said, there's more historical evidence that Jesus lived and did extraordinary things than there is evidence that Julius Ceasar existed.

G

Would you care to cite any of that evidence? I mean, I'm pretty sure he existed, but this claim that there is more evidence than there is for Caeasar? Seriously?

yy_cheng

Coach
Why is the fact that Jesus is written about in the Koran (the new bits of which were written 500 years after Jesus' apparent lifetime) in any way evidence of his existence?

As I said above...the reason for doubt is that his appearance in Roman/ Greek texts basically all occurs several decades or more after his apparent lifetime, and refers to the stories (true or otherwise) being spoken of by the writers of the various gospels and their followers. These writings include several books which in the end didn't make it through the filters applied by the church in the coming centuries (e.g. the Gospel of St Thomas, which tells quite a different story of the life and actions of the Jesus guy....i.e. no miracles, just a nice bloke who had a bit to say).
I know the west weren't aware of China then, why didn't Jesus go there, but was there a concept of Chinese whispers?

oldmancraigy

Coach

Careful mate, fatwah incoming!

I just wiki'd that Gospel of Thomas thing - apparently it was mostly pou pou'd when it was in circulation, (although the article was quite long, and I basically skipped 9/10ths of it)
I was on such a roll I google searched 'Roman historian Jesus', and some Tacitus bloke (apparently a keen historian in the early 2nd C) wrote about him.
Then I googled 'Jesus historical' (since I always just assumed he was real), and (wiki again) told me that he was real, and that all scholars of antiquity agree. Apparently there was nobody denying that he was real in the first few centuries (as Christianity spread like wildfire).
The 'Christ myth' seems to have originated later on, and is reported this way
The theory that Jesus never existed at all has very little scholarly support

Of course, wikipedia might not be the source of anything of any value, but I trust it more than Ram!

All I can say is, thanks for making me explore all those avenues.... I guess, since the thread is about Hoppa, we better NOW turn the discussion to: "did Jesus go to America, and did Joseph Smith find some magical glasses which helped him read hierogliphics?"

I look forward to researching all the interesting tidbits that get thrown up :lol:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Hehe....some believe that Christ visited India during the missing years (i.e between when he was 12 and his late 20s).

Visited North America too after the resurrection. Apparently.

But during his life he stayed local, like most people of the time. The extent of his range was a couple of hundred kilometres.

broncos2010

Juniors
Hoppa is a great player and I must admit I love watching him and he is still so young could be the best centre in the game in a couple years the way he is going.

Latest posts