What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hornby to sign three-year deal

RedVDave

First Grade
Hornby to sign three-year deal

St George Illawarra captain Ben Hornby is adamant his best is yet to come.

Determined to lead the premiership project overseen by coach Wayne Bennett, Hornby is set to sign a new three-year contract that will see the Corrimal junior spend his entire career at the club.

In his second season as captain, Hornby said he is enjoying the NRL as much as ever and hadn't considered an early exit to join cashed-up clubs in the English Super League.

Starting his career at fullback, Hornby was chosen for NSW on three occasions for his versatility, before moving to halfback in Nathan Brown's final season in charge in 2008.

Always seen as a safe option in the halves, the 30-year-old said he was determined to have a major impact on the team's charge towards another finals campaign.

"I'm still trying to get better," he said. "That's my main focus, but at the moment I'm just glad the club is going well.

"I love the club. I've been here my whole career, so I'd love to stay here as long as possible."

The Mercury understands Hornby will sign a new deal in the next fortnight, joining five-eighth Jamie Soward and props Michael Weyman and Matt Prior to have agreed to be part of the joint venture club's push for a first title.

However, the future of young guns Trent Merrin and Beau Henry remains uncertain.

Hornby provided an outstanding floating pass to link with Soward for a crucial second-half try in Friday's 19-6 win over the Gold Coast at Skilled Park.

But he later revealed he took a couple of early knocks.

"I got a couple of corks early in the first half," he revealed.

"It probably wasn't my night after that, but we did enough to get the win."

Bennett has shown complete faith in Hornby since moving from Brisbane to Wollongong, even when they were criticised after the minor premiers failed to find another gear in last year's finals series.

After being a standout for the Dragons last year, Soward is starting to find his feet this season, according to Bennett.

"He's been building into the season, he's been very solid for us," Bennett said.

"His defence is much improved and just each week getting better with the ball and making better decisions. It was probably his best game (of the season on Friday)."

Bennett said it was easy to take Soward's booming kicking game for granted.
"He kicks the ball so often, so well, that we just don't recognise what a great kicker of the ball he is. I thought his kicking game was outstanding (on Friday), with great variety and pinpoint accuracy."

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...-sign-threeyear-deal/1806014.aspx?storypage=0

I know their was a thread similar to this a few weeks ago but I guess this is just an updated version.
Do guys think with all this talent signing on for a few more years is a indication Bennett may also extend his contract?

big pat

Coach
sheridan will be tickled pink, but seriously bennett must have faith in him, so who are we to argue.

cleary89

Coach
Do guys think with all this talent signing on for a few more years is a indication Bennett may also extend his contract?

It seems like Bennett seems to be enjoying where he is. Doesn't his daughter live down in the gong? I can't really see him going anywhere else, and I sure hope he doesn't.

Wobbygong

First Grade
I reckon he'll only stay another 3 seasons, unless we jag a competition and he might pull the pin straight after that.

Benny

First Grade
Hornby will move into coaching and could be the man to succeed Bennett in a handover like he suggested for Lockyer at Brisbane.

I love Hornby and have faith in him!

Great clubman and lets hope he lifts the NRL Trophy within his last 4 years at the club and then overtakes Bennett as the greatest coach of all time with the Dragons ONLY!

LOYAL DRAGON

First Grade
Hornby will move into coaching and could be the man to succeed Bennett in a handover like he suggested for Lockyer at Brisbane.

I love Hornby and have faith in him!

Great clubman and lets hope he lifts the NRL Trophy within his last 4 years at the club and then overtakes Bennett as the greatest coach of all time with the Dragons ONLY!
Lets not start that again, Hornby must not coach his mates

Ribs

Bench
I remember a few years ago when Benny was coming off contract a the same time as a few of our supposed stars like Gas and Baz. He said something like.... I'll sign for whatever's left.

Kudos to you Ben Hornby.

TheRev

Coach
I've been a Hornby lover for years, I used to feel fullback was his best spot & he is rarely injured, but um what are we going to do with him for the next 3 years? Does this mean we are definitely getting rid of Beau Henry? Could Hornby slip into a hooker role?

watatank

Coach
I've been a Hornby lover for years, I used to feel fullback was his best spot & he is rarely injured, but um what are we going to do with him for the next 3 years? Does this mean we are definitely getting rid of Beau Henry? Could Hornby slip into a hooker role?

If Hornby stays on that doesn't mean there wouldn't a spot for Henry...If/when Henry is too good to keep out then Hornby would just move somewhere else.

Maybe next or last year of his re-signing could be a coaching role???
I doubt it... how can you go from Halfback captain to bench utility player...

TheRev

Coach
If Hornby stays on that doesn't mean there wouldn't a spot for Henry...If/when Henry is too good to keep out then Hornby would just move somewhere else.

Where would you specifically put him? its a bit like Young, you want him in the team as he has plenty of heart and dragons spirit, but who loses their spot to fit him in? Guys like Fien & Priddis offer much more in the Number 9 position, but Young has more heart..

Hornby however I think could make a good number 9, hes a little small is the only risk.. and it would all depend on when Henry is actually ready to jump up to first grade, 2011? 2012? Then there is the need for injury coverage etc..

Ray Parlour

Juniors
Would love to see Hornby crack 300 games for the club.

Just hope Henry isn't squeezed out, but i reckon he could be.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I can see Hornby playing No.9 in a couple of years but as all previous posts mentioned I hope it does not force Henry out of the squad. That would be a sad loss.

Ray Parlour

Juniors
Bennett knows hes not going to be at the club for the next 10 years, so i think forcing henry out may be a short term decision on which player is more likely to deliver a premiership in the next 4 years or so.

watatank

Coach
Where would you specifically put him? its a bit like Young, you want him in the team as he has plenty of heart and dragons spirit, but who loses their spot to fit him in? Guys like Fien & Priddis offer much more in the Number 9 position, but Young has more heart..

Hornby however I think could make a good number 9, hes a little small is the only risk.. and it would all depend on when Henry is actually ready to jump up to first grade, 2011? 2012? Then there is the need for injury coverage etc..

Probably fullback or hooker...Depends who is available, what areas are strong and the players coming through...I'm sure Bennett will find a place for him. Its a long way off anyway.

Latest posts