What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hornby's Record

ebbedfred

Bench
Congrats to captain Hornby on his record breaking game for the Red V, but just curious on people's opinion here, is he breaking Norm Provan's record, or do you think it's a stand alone stat for the merger?

ebbedfred

Bench

Cagey Mac

Bench
From the same article

"Hornby's straight, no-nonsense approach to football is a proven winner, but Sandra says there a different side to Ben away from sport.
''He's a very calm and very sensible person. It annoys you a bit because he's always right,'' she joked. ''We see a side of him that not many people see. He's very dry-witted, Ben. He'd bring you down in one sentence. He doesn't tolerate fools and he's very serious about what he does.
''He is a quiet achiever, he doesn't seek the limelight or anything like that. He does what he's got to do to make the team win - at any cost.''
You can see why Bennett thought that he'd make a good captain and why he may follow Bennett into coaching greatness

From the same article

"Hornby's straight, no-nonsense approach to football is a proven winner, but Sandra says there a different side to Ben away from sport.
''He's a very calm and very sensible person. It annoys you a bit because he's always right,'' she joked. ''We see a side of him that not many people see. He's very dry-witted, Ben. He'd bring you down in one sentence. He doesn't tolerate fools and he's very serious about what he does.
''He is a quiet achiever, he doesn't seek the limelight or anything like that. He does what he's got to do to make the team win - at any cost.''
You can see why Bennett thought that he'd make a good captain and why he may follow Bennett into coaching greatness

And as for his his Mum's comment:

"Whereas a lot of other blokes got the opportunity because of their names or because their fathers played, he didn't get that. He had to work hard to get to where he is.''

Surely she's not meaning that Dean and BMoz got a leg up ahead of others regardless of their ability?

Cagey Mac

Bench

"Whereas a lot of other blokes got the opportunity because of their names or because their fathers played, he didn't get that. He had to work hard to get to where he is.''

Surely she's not meaning that Dean and BMoz got a leg up ahead of others regardless of their ability?
Everyone's mum still believes that their boy is the world's best and she may be holding grudges from under 11's

SIR LANCELOT

Juniors
Hornby is a great club man and deserves the recognition afforded to him.He joins an illustrious class with the game record. I believe also that Big Norm Provan should be up there and classed as an immortal of the game regardless of the judging of the panel at RLW.

Cheers

Lancelot :):):)

Godz Illa

Coach
00041517-Photo.JPG

Cagey Mac

Bench
Hornby is a great club man and deserves the recognition afforded to him.He joins an illustrious class with the game record. I believe also that Big Norm Provan should be up there and classed as an immortal of the game regardless of the judging of the panel at RLW.

Cheers

Lancelot :):):)

Hear hear!!

Old_Timer

Juniors
Congrats to Ben on a wonderful achievement at the Club. So fitingly he will hold the record for most game appearances by a Dragons player.

But in me old heart, Norm will still hold the record for a Saint's player. To play in ten premierships wins, speaks for itself.

I only hope Norm is given the immortal status that he so richly deserves before his time is up. To induct that drug addict John's before him, would be sacrilege in my opinion. Maybe we need to start a petition.

And yes, I think Ben Hornby has the smarts to be a good coach as well.

gorilla

First Grade
Let's get one thing straight.

If Norm Provan is prepared to stand beside Ben Hornby and congratulate him, then there is no argument about a record, nor both Ben and Norm's achievements.

big pat

Coach
Congrats to Ben on a wonderful achievement at the Club. So fitingly he will hold the record for most game appearances by a Dragons player.

But in me old heart, Norm will still hold the record for a Saint's player. To play in ten premierships wins, speaks for itself.

I only hope Norm is given the immortal status that he so richly deserves before his time is up. To induct that drug addict John's before him, would be sacrilege in my opinion. Maybe we need to start a petition.

And yes, I think Ben Hornby has the smarts to be a good coach as well.

well old timer, i'll second your post.

RedVDave

First Grade
Congrat's Benny! You deserve every accolade you get like Dean Young never gives anything less than 100% in the games he plays.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade

I think shes commenting on sport in general......and shes absolutely right... in some cases it does happen and will continue to happen....at the end of the day the player ultimately comes through because of their ability...but some are given more opportunities to succeed than others...trust me I know

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Let's get one thing straight.

If Norm Provan is prepared to stand beside Ben Hornby and congratulate him, then there is no argument about a record, nor both Ben and Norm's achievements.
That's it in a nutshell.

Congrats Ben Hornby. Record breaker. Illawarra junior. To call you a St George legend is the greatest compliment of all.