What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hottest 100

Pete Cash

Post Whore
The song that won last year was diabolical and a true indication that the majority of people who vote in the Hottest 100 aren't actually people who listen to Triple J normally.

I fear if Lorde wins this year and makes it 2 years in a row with crappy pop songs winning that the credibility of the countdown will be lost forever.

Loads of hottest 100 winners have been high charting songs. Somebody That I used to know, Wonderwall, Pretty Fly for a White guy, Sex on Fire, Thrift Shop all charted number 1 and there is always a pop song or two mixed in. Hey Ya (which is a good song) finished second in whatever year it was in the hottest 100

Are you sure you just aren't getting old.

There will be good songs throughout the hottest 100 but you can bet your bottom dollar the top 5 will normally be songs that charted well. It is a youth station after all.

As a punk fan Triple J is a f**king horrible radio station. The only bands that ever get played a little bit are NOFX and Rise Against

Danish

Referee
Loads of hottest 100 winners have been high charting songs. Somebody That I used to know, Wonderwall, Pretty Fly for a White guy, Sex on Fire, Thrift Shop all charted number 1 and there is always a pop song or two mixed in. Hey Ya (which is a good song) finished second in whatever year it was in the hottest 100

There will be good songs throughout the hottest 100 but you can bet your bottom dollar the top 5 will normally be songs that charted well. It is a youth station after all.

Don't forget Alex Lloyd in that list of commercial songs to take out the gong. We also had a terrible run there for a while where the winner almost had to be Australian (Bernard Fanning, Augie March, I think Missy Higgins took it out once too?).

There has also been joke songs in the top 10 throughout the countdowns existence. Pauline Pantsdown, f**king Tom Jones, Chumbawamba, even TISM (I like them but come on).

To me the Top 100 is supposed to give us a list of longs that define the year gone by. They aren't necessarily the 100 best songs of the past 12 months, but if you listen to them in a decade's time you'll be taken back to that year perfectly. I do it now with the old countdowns all the time.... Every top 100 CD is like my own personal time machine

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I thought she won with scar in 2004 but when I was looking for number 1 charting songs to have won the award last night she finished second to Franz Ferdinand. Still that's a pretty high spot for what is a little pop tune.

RHCP

Bench
Chvrches - Gun
Daft Punk - Get Lucky
Arctic Monkeys - Arabella
Avalanches, The - Stalking To A Stranger {Planets Collide Remix}
Fidlar - No Waves
London Grammar - Strong
Preatures, The - Is This How You Feel?
Queens Of The Stone Age - I Sat By The Ocean
Sticky Fingers - Australia Street
Wavves - Demon To Lean On

Paullyboy

Coach

To be fair you're definitely right about the getting old bit. I'm 29 now so I guess I'm not the primary target for Triple J anymore. And it's probably the exact reason I feel this way, but still, it's hard to move on from something when you've identified so closely with it for well over a decade so I want to make a stand, ha!

Somebody that I Used To Know was obviously a huge hit, but it didn't feel like it was a generic pop song that infiltrated a good countdown, more that it was a fantastic alternative song that infiltrated the pop market. Gotye is very much an acquired taste (well he definitely was prior to this track anyway).

Wonderwall was from the hottest 100 of the last 20 years, so I don't count that as it was just a pointless countdown in the middle of the year. When it won in 1995 they were still very much an alternative rock band on the way up.

Pretty Fly was a c**k-up and JJJ voters actively turned out in numbers in the years following to fix the mistake. I remember the outrage clearly and it kick-started the Australian number 1 run with back-to-back Powderfinger winners.

Thrift shop is an abortion of a song and anyone who voted for it should be ashamed. I was hoping that it might have a similar impact as Pretty Fly and we'd see voters storm out in support of a genuine JJJ-style song to take the crown, unfortunately there really hasn't been any dominant song this year to do that. I don't like Daft Punk but I could have no objections if they won, but I'd much prefer if Riptide somehow snuck through. Just please don't make it that Lorde dribble.

Last edited:

Paullyboy

Coach
Not sure if you were bringing that song up because you were thinking of voting for it, but it's from 2012 and finished in the top 10 in last years countdown.

bileduct

Coach
I always had the impression that the Hot 100 would generally be won by a song that was released in the last third to quarter of the year because that's what was playing around the time people voted.

Dunno how true that is.

Spiderbait - Buy Me A Pony was the #1 that made me lose interest in listening to the Hot 100.

carcharias

Immortal
how about the smith st band "Young Drunk"
I might vote for that...if it is eligble.

hang on what year is it?

Last edited:

Bubbles

Juniors
Shit, I'm 44 and Top 100 is still one of my husband and my favourite days of the year. We are lucky as we have really ecclectic tastes when it comes to music and while we find that, yes, there's a lot of pop crap that's snuck it's way into the Js, it's still a great countdown with generally a range of music genres and is still far more interesting than any other countdown from any other of the commercial stations, plus I always get an awesome play list out of it.

I can't stand how people from my age bracket haven't moved past 80s rock bands, or if they have, they got as far as Powderfinger and then stopped. My husband and I made a pact when we first started seeing each other and realised our mutual passion for music that we would never become one of these old farts wailing about "This is not music. In my days..." blah, blah, blah.
So, in short, harden up lil' youngsters and enjoy some cold ones with mates/loved ones - you're not going to agree with a lot of the choices, but shit, things could be worse, you could be listening to the Triple M Top 100 - aaaaargh!!!

Paullyboy

Coach
Don't for a second think I don't love the hottest 100, it's just my disappointment at the number 1 of last year (and the seemingly inevitable number 1 of this year) that have annoyed me.

RHCP

Bench
On ya Bubbles. People who think there's no more good music just don't want to find it.

Bubbles

Juniors
Yeah Paulyboy, I know what you're saying, I thought last year's number one was crap and I think you're right about the number one this year, which I also think is a very average song. However, being many years older than you (who is apparently getting old lol) I have accepted the youngsters get the final say. My family play a game of picking our own personal favourite song of the year and whose ever song comes in the lowest is the winner. Last year my four year old son won with (ironically since it's already been mentioned here) Tame Impala's Elephant that came in at number 8 (great song that).

Don't know this year - there has been some really good music, I just haven't sat down and really looked and thought about it yet. I have always loved Arctic Monkeys, although my personal favourite single from the new album was actually released last year and came in at number 40. Will have to get my thinking cap on and go through the list properly, got to beat my son this year!!