What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How bad will the crowds be this weekend!

Simo

First Grade
Doing some thinking about the way things have shaped up and this is my conclusion:

NZ V Canberra: NZ in great form but unless there is another free ticket give away arent going to turn up in mass numbers over here. Canberra didnt turn up in Canberra and got done so i doubt they will have massive numbers. 70,000 potential fans will be at the Swans game. This crowd i doubt will be pretty at the all Blue seated SFS.

Dogs V Melb: Well Melb just dont have a real big supporter base anyway and the Dogs maynot turn up after there performance on the weekend. Hopefully the Dogs will turn out in force but again Melb struggle to pull numbers. Throw in any wet weather and i reckon this weekend could be the lowest crowd for finals since the Arl 97 comp.

Dont mean to be negative as im enjoying the footy and hopefully im very wrong but i just have a bad feeling this could be a shocker of a crowd size weekend for League just after we had our highest crowd average year!!! The telegraoh will have a field day again playing AFL beats league blah blah blah.... Then the Union WC propagander i have to keep hearing, i hate seeing any news!!!

Come on everyone lets go out and support the teams we dont support this weekend!

millersnose

Post Whore
good post simo

it is hard when your team doesnt make it but there still is tonnes of great footy on display this weekend

JoeD

First Grade
What happened at the showgrounds? People were posting before hand that the game was sold out yet the crowd was only 18 000. Then again I wouldn't go to a game there either if I had to sit so far away from the action. I take it the side the camera is shooting from must be close enough but that other side is just ridiculous. (Or at least looks it on TV)

millersnose

Post Whore
good point

i hate grounds that are multi-purpose

i like to be on the sideline not 20 meters back

dimitri

First Grade
perhaps the NRL should be looking to have home semis all the way up to the grand final

although the ground used should have a minimum 35,000 seats

it would be great to see the storm play a semi perhaps at colonial

or the warriors play a semi at the newly revamped ericson stadium

and likewise the raiders at canberra

dimitri said:

Most Storm fans wouldn't like it due to outrageous food prices there and the general bad feeling generated from the 2001 season. Also, Docklands Stadium management has always been in opposition to rugby league so I don't see how it would pan out.

Although personally I'd like to see it happen but only if they move in the seating like during that Broncos game. Looks great that way rather than it is now.

JoeD

First Grade
Good idea, except I think 35000 is too high. I doubt that this weekends numbers will be that high anyway so its not like the NRL are going to lose out as it is. A good idea would be to have the first 2 rounds at home games and then have theGF qualifiers and GF at 'neutral' grounds. (Although they are not necesarrily neutral if a Sydney based team is involved)

bazza

Immortal
dimitri said:
perhaps the NRL should be looking to have home semis all the way up to the grand final

although the ground used should have a minimum 35,000 seats

or the warriors play a semi at the newly revamped ericson stadium

and likewise the raiders at canberra

I have to agree - especially with more non-Sydney teams doing well of late.

I think they should have home semis up to the grand final with Sydney teams having to play at either Homebush or SFS in week 2 and 3.

Simo

First Grade
Tamazoid said:
Come on people - even if you don't support any team, turn up to watch some great footy.

I agree, it will be a total embarassment for the game if only 10-15000 show up.

JoeD

First Grade
slippery eel said:
Bulldogs v Warriors at Telstra would of had easily 30,000!.

Are you saying people stayed away for the sole reason it was at the Showgrounds?

*Paul*

Juniors
Simo said:
Doing some thinking about the way things have shaped up and this is my conclusion:
NZ V Canberra... This crowd i doubt will be pretty at the all Blue seated SFS.

Only 16,000 showed up at our (Canberra) last Sydney semi-final (2000 v Easts). Can't see them getting even that many.

ali

Bench
Time for the neutrals to stand up. I'm very keen to get to one of the games. I might go Sunday if my Bulldogs supporting mates are going, or maybe Saturday night whilst I waiting for my mates to hit the city after the Swans game. Which i could have gone to but decided against.

Either way I can't wait to watch the Warriors again this weekend. How good were they last weekend. :D

Anonymous

Juniors
If they Warriors played the Raiders at Ericsson you could almost guarantee a full house 25,000+.

But it's pointless to even say it. I just hope some of you lazy arses get to the games.

JoeD

First Grade
Does anyone know what the cost of primetime TV advertising is in Sydney? Lets say it is a conservatively low $2000 per 30 second ad. I am pretty sure this is quite a low figure. If you went to the NRL and asked to buy 10 000 tickets what kind of a discount would you get? Lets say $10 a ticket which makes $100 000. Which is only 50 thirty second ads. Which is probably less than a weeks worth of TV advertising for big companies. I don't know why more big companies aren't following Vodafones lead and doing the mass free ticket thing. It gets positive NEWS coverage. That kind of publicity can't be bought at any price. Plus it would fill up the stadiums. As it looks unlikely any stadium is going to be sold out it would be good for the NRL too.

ouwet

Bench
For the Bulldogs V Melbourne game their will be around 20,000 Bulldogs supporters no worries... Now we all know the Bulldogs are ONE of the most hated clubs in Sydney (Jealously is the biggest reason :D ), so why dont all Rugby League fans from over clubs get out in your team colours and supporter the Storm! Grab a mate or two or three (If they say i couldnt be bothered FORCE them), and head out to the SFS and boo the Bulldogs on :) !!! Im missing out on my cousins Baptism for this (well not the mass service but the lunch afterwards).

Also get out to the Warriors V Canberra game and see some brilliant attacking footy from the Warriors... We all know the Raiders are the most boring team in the NRL but the Warriors make up for that and more...

GO YOU BULLDOGS!!!!

Latest posts