What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How did we end up here?

This is my take on it:

For years the old board didn't listen to the fans. They were arrogant and did not treat the fans with respect. They did nothing for the fans. This would come and haunt the old board but also be a domino affect in later years for the club.

IMO, the first of the disasters came when the old board decided to sign up Michael Hagan. And like any new coach we had hope and he even took us to a semi.... but the trail of destruction that was evident once he had left. Junior talent was going South and the last batch of great talent were playing first grade... Hayne, Inu, Smith, Mateo. Nothing of note was coming through the Juniors after these guys. On top of this we let Tony Williams go to the eagles. Blind Freddy could have seen the talent!!

The old board decided to hire Daniel Anderson who led us on what was an amazing comeback of a year.... but by this time the Fans had enough of Fitzgerald and the board. After 30 years of shit the fans wanted change and who could blame us? We were sick and tired of fitzgerald stranglehold on our great club. So it was out with the old and in with the new. (fitzgerald saying that we would not be around in 5 years did not help his cause)

I truly believe that anyone who was going up for elections that year against Fitzy would have got in. The only alternate choice was 3P...... people wanted change no matter what and Fitzy was dumped in a land slide. Osborne was hired as CEO which in hindsight was a very bad move. The inexperience of the new board in hindsight started to show. Osbourne was a walking disaster who acted like Politician than a football club CEO. he had no experience for the job. Very poor decision!!

In the mean time Daniel Anderson in his Wisdom let Mateo, Inu and a few others go only to re-sign shit like Robson and Matt Keating. Also, we replaced them with absolute SHIT players like Walker etc. Morts was re-signed for top dollar even though he was unproven.

After a crap 2010, the new board sacked Anderson and hired Kearney. Another poor decision that has now backfired on our club. Which has left us with the Wooden Spoon. More inexperience from the current board who let the Pirtek boss dictate to them to go for Kearney who was unproven. I'll admit at the time I thought Kearney would change our team for the better because he was Storm trained. Oh how I was wrong. He meant well with his 5 year plan and he wanted the Juniors to be strong. But results don't lie and he had to go. Don't underestimate how the chopping and changing of coaches has been a absolute killer for us.

And here we are..... up the creek without a paddle but with the wooden spoon instead.
It will take a few years to repair the damage to the club. Our best Juniors coming through are few years off. The new board have hopefully learnt from their glaring MISTAKES.

I believe had the old board/CEO been a little bit Fan friendly then the things that happened could have been avoided. Our club fell like a chain of dominoes. One thing has led to another. What a mess.

I hope Ricky can fix us up. Our next most important signing is to get a Football Club CEO who knows what he is doing. This is more important than signing an super expensive origin player. We need to get the front office right! Everything will then start getting better. We have an awesome Scout in Nolan and a reputable coach who demands the best....... some light at the end of a dark tunnel.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

hineyrulz

Post Whore
images

+

492845-paul-osborne.jpg

+
432729-daniel-mortimer.jpg

+
d52cbcc94f7b7d718fcf3c1c57c115bc_resized.jpg

=
wooden-spoon.jpg

IFR33K

Coach
Hard to disagree with u jake. The current board sure is showing signs of inexperience. Nobody is too sure how the Stuart signing will pan out, but for the sake of the club, I hope it's a master stroke.

Sinse SK was here we seem to be putting all our emphasis on producing juniors. I don't think it's the be all and end all to success. I hope we are still scouting other juniors, as well as our own.

My thoughts.

1) The old board didn't Hire Hagan, Denis did this of his own accord, without telling anyone. At the Board meeting after the decision, measures were taken to limit Fitzy's powers in this area, he had to justify the choice to the Board.

2) Under Hagan, we also let Maloney and Hodgkinson go to retain Finch. Seriously bad move.

3) I don't think the entire board didn't listen to the fans, from many insiders I get the impression that the board were kept unaware of certain issues and when directly contact would find the issue fixed quickly, I personally attribute this to Football COO Greg Mitchell. However the majority of the board were Fitzy's pawns.

4) Fitzy's downfall started with the "5 year" article, and got worse when we didn't make the finals and was finalised at the last game where he banned certain player managers from the dressing rooms.

5) Osbourne, though he knew footy, which is what made him dangerous and as such he went about with a razor at the club, in 12 months almost 20 members of staff had been churned through, some here for less than 3 months.

6) Anderson didn't have the cap space to fight for Feleti, because "Knows Football" was already planning on spending it on Mortimer.

7) Walker was a band aid solution pushed on the club by Osbourne not Anderson.

8) While Kearney may have wanted the juniors to be strong, the club had a strange way of showing it, getting rid of almost everyone associated with our juniors some for the better some for the worst, our SG Ball missed the Finals for the first time on an age.

9) I feel a compromise board; with a 4 / 3 split to the incumbents (we all know who lost out by 3 votes to Chidiac). Would have been able to remove or manage fitzy without the mess and fuss.

But all and all we can more what could have been, we are here now, and hopefully our board has made the right call. I don't know they will be around to see it eventuate, but we can only hope Sticky and Pay (if we get him) fix the defence, as this has been the big problem in our last 2 years.

My thoughts.

1) The old board didn't Hire Hagan, Denis did this of his own accord, without telling anyone. At the Board meeting after the decision, measures were taken to limit Fitzy's powers in this area, he had to justify the choice to the Board.

2) Under Hagan, we also let Maloney and Hodgkinson go to retain Finch. Seriously bad move.

3) I don't think the entire board didn't listen to the fans, from many insiders I get the impression that the board were kept unaware of certain issues and when directly contact would find the issue fixed quickly, I personally attribute this to Football COO Greg Mitchell. However the majority of the board were Fitzy's pawns.

4) Fitzy's downfall started with the "5 year" article, and got worse when we didn't make the finals and was finalised at the last game where he banned certain player managers from the dressing rooms.

5) Osbourne, though he knew footy, which is what made him dangerous and as such he went about with a razor at the club, in 12 months almost 20 members of staff had been churned through, some here for less than 3 months.

6) Anderson didn't have the cap space to fight for Feleti, because "Knows Football" was already planning on spending it on Mortimer.

7) Walker was a band aid solution pushed on the club by Osbourne not Anderson.

8) While Kearney may have wanted the juniors to be strong, the club had a strange way of showing it, getting rid of almost everyone associated with our juniors some for the better some for the worst, our SG Ball missed the Finals for the first time on an age.

9) I feel a compromise board; with a 4 / 3 split to the incumbents (we all know who lost out by 3 votes to Chidiac). Would have been able to remove or manage fitzy without the mess and fuss.

But all and all we can more what could have been, we are here now, and hopefully our board has made the right call. I don't know they will be around to see it eventuate, but we can only hope Sticky and Pay (if we get him) fix the defence, as this has been the big problem in our last 2 years.

When I say old board I mean Fitzy and that's because he had them under his control. They never stood up to him.

Avenger

Immortal
My thoughts:

Daniel Anderson was a top coach who should never have been sacked. When people say that he only did it on the back of Hayne and Moimoi I start to get very angry. What sheer and utter crap that is. The rest of the team allowed those 2 to shine and make us surge into the grand final from a seemingly impossible position. Do people seem to forget how well Burt played that year ? What about Grothe ? Probably our best on Grand Final Day. Mortimer was outstanding too and we all applauded when we re-signed him. Mannah was also incredible as was Ben Smith and Mateo. Even Todd Lowrie made us eat our own words when he started being the player that every team needs, the one that cleans up and does all the shit stuff. 2009 was without doubt one of the greatest rides I have had since following this great game. I will never forget it. To make all those players gel and maintain their momentum takes skill and that is what Anderson did. It is not a coincidence that Anderson has been successful at every club he has coached at and his sacking was the worst decision that our club has ever made and the solution, well it's been said before.

That has now passed, time to move on. Ricky Stuart is the new boss. People forget that when he won that first comp at the Roosters he was only 35. He later achieved another 2 consecutive grand final appearances. An astonishing achievement despite the usual "but he had a champion side" bullshit argument. He still got them there. If he managed to win them all we would have compared him to Jack Gibson yet people are fixated on how he left the Roosters and later a scandalous and near bankrupt Cronulla side.

I initially wanted Jason Taylor but now I concede that it had to be Stuart. He is the best available coach to get us out of the wilderness.

Last edited:

strider

Post Whore
i agree 09 wasn't all about hayne - we managed to click as a team with everyone playing their role - but what happened in '10?

Avenger

Immortal
i agree 09 wasn't all about hayne - we managed to click as a team with everyone playing their role - but what happened in '10?

We still won more games than Kearney did in nearly 2 seasons and were in contention up until Burt missed that penalty goal against the Tigers. Anderson's sacking was a f**king spineless disgrace.

bartman

Immortal
Mate, I agree with what you've posted.

People have been saying similar things on here for twelve months, in some cases longer.

Latest posts