What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How far can we go without Gareth Widdop

jeffdragon

Bench
Heard two opinions of how we will go without Gareth.
Laurie Daley said we will make the 8 but can't win the comp.
Terry Kennedy said we can't make the 8 we are gone.
They were quick to downgrade us.
In my opinion I think we don't go as bad as they and some others think without Gareth.

Brutalitops

Juniors
If we hadn't bought Norman I think things would be a lot more dire.

But he's in the top five eighths in the world so he will be a loss. Unfortunately Mary wasn't playing him there anyway so in that sense his loss won't be as big as it was last year.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Heard two opinions of how we will go without Gareth.
Laurie Daley said we will make the 8 but can't win the comp.
Terry Kennedy said we can't make the 8 we are gone.
They were quick to downgrade us.
In my opinion I think we don't go as bad as they and some others think without Gareth.
We made it to within 1 point of a preliminary final without him last year..

possm

Coach
We need the media to do their job and run an in depth investigation into the management of SGI. Only when the fans, supports and public become aware of the situation will change have a chance.

ALSGI

Bench
I think we’ll know over the next couple of months where we’ll be in September by which time Widdop may be back.

Way too early to call.

My gut says will still be top 8.

possm

Coach
The absence of Widdop will not be a problem as long as Dufty can perform in defence at first grade standard. If Dufty has not improved in this area and if Mary sticks with him like he sticks with Aitken, then we have no chance in hell of making the eight.

Last edited:

rednwhites

Juniors
When we win it won't be a problem, but when we lose it will be a problem.

There's incredible talent out there between Norman, Hunt, Lomax and Dufty, we should be a super competitive and professional outfit. Instead we will ride the roller coaster that is the Dragons under McGregor.

We will never win this comp with or without Widdop given the current coach.

BLM01

First Grade
We need the media to do their job and run an in depth investigation into the management of SGI. Only when the fans, supports and public become aware of the situation will change have a chance.
Yeh righto Possm. In depth investigation..right on cue...Not quite the forum topic for it and answer to the question..hijacking it for your agenda
My take is he is a loss as is his goal kicking. However I see the positive with Dufty at 1 hopefully improved on last year and we have Norman who is a different type of player that can balance well with Hunt as Hunt likes to run and short or long kick sometimes and can do that pretty well. Norman is good at the short strategic fancy kicking (more accurate than Widdop who kicks straight to people) and passing skills (setting up outside backs)
We can go OK without Widdop..but need Lomax for goal kicking in the 13 somewhere and improved defense as a whole unit with linespeed together (not one outs) and supporting the ball carrier in numbers especially when we break the line

LINESPEED

Juniors
I think we’ll know over the next couple of months where we’ll be in September by which time Widdop may be back.

Way too early to call.

My gut says will still be top 8.

Well I changed my skin cancer appt away from around Oct 6 weekend

So I guess that’s optimism

Dragons 09

Juniors
Norman is no reserve grade replacement, he's a genuine NRL half, but the coach is going to have to fully comprehend that Widdop is not there and tweak his game plans accordingly to suit Norman's strengths rather than what was designed around Widdop previously.
If McGregor can do that, we can still go as far without Widdop as we could of with him.

The calm one

Juniors
Well I changed my skin cancer appt away from around Oct 6 weekend

So I guess that’s optimism
I honestly think this year we may struggle. The loss of Widdop is a massive blow and even if we get him back sometime this year, what's his confidence going to be like.

We must also remember JDB is out for ???. You have one wing spot taken by someone playing out of position or someone with little 1st grade experience. We are in a similar situation at fullback. You will get away with it in competition games but come semi finals the inexperience and fatigue will tell. It is not the players fault filling in at these positions, it happens in all sports at the elite level.

Old Timer

Coach
For those that don't think we will miss him have a look at his highlights package and work out who is going to do all that stuff including the goal kicking.
Widdop was not perfect and on given days could be very average but his best was scintillating and created many opportunities for us to capitalise on.
In fact if we had of had some decent wingers in that time even more would have been achieved.
Norman will bring his own style to the table but it is very different to what Widdop brings at 6.
Maybe Norman creates things for Dufty as an offset let's hope that is the case.