What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How good is Lockyer?

Moffo

Referee
One guy that stood out for me last night was definitely Darren Lockyer. This guy is just a class above, the best fullback i have ever seen on a regular basis. His tackling last night and runs at the line were brilliant. For me, he was close to man of the match

This guy is right up there in the top 3 players in the NRL at the moment

Cheers,
Moffo

Green Eye

Juniors
I agree. He was brilliant. Unfortunate for him that the rest of the QLD side let him down a bit. I think if he had the opportunities that Minichello was given then the score would have been around the other way. Lockyer had to do too much work and that is why his defense in the last 20 slipped. He must have been exhausted towards the end. I'm not complaining though.... GO THE BLUES!!!!

Z

Juniors
Lockyer is easily up there with Andrew Johns in my eyes.
He just seems to do everything with a certain degree of ease and poise and is just always under control.

The best players in any sport are the ones who can control their emotions and keep a cool head on things, Darren is just this.
I personally rate him as good as Johns ..... if not better.

Cheers.
Saint Firman. :)

kaon

Juniors
He didn't do anything wrong and also came up with some great plays when the Qld'ers were on the back foot. Another surprise was his goal kicking, 2/2 and they weren't easy shots.

Kiwi

First Grade
What shits me about last nights game was, what the hell did Joey do really? Squat, sure he passed the ball to Mini and Wing and they scored but they did all the work and he gets credit. Buderus does what he did with Joeys try, and does Danny get as much "credit" nope.

Alot of the other NSW players out played him, Buderus, Wing, Timmins, Mini ect and all the way the commentators were talking you'd think they were ready to award him the man of the series, dally m, and golden boot all last night.

TheROCK

Juniors
Kiwi said:
What shits me about last nights game was, what the hell did Joey do really? Squat, sure he passed the ball to Mini and Wing and they scored but they did all the work and he gets credit. Buderus does what he did with Joeys try, and does Danny get as much "credit" nope.

Alot of the other NSW players out played him, Buderus, Wing, Timmins, Mini ect and all the way the commentators were talking you'd think they were ready to award him the man of the series, dally m, and golden boot all last night.

You're kidding right? Without Johns, NSW wouldn't have come close to winning last night. Johns made 2 line breaks, 2 try assists, 2 line break assists, scored a try, kicked 4 goals, and kicks a handy field goal. His passing game was brilliant, and his defence was superb. Johns should have got MOM, with all due respect to Bailey who worked his ass off. But Johns was the key, he controlled the team, and he finally dominated an origin game!

Kiwi

First Grade
TheROCK said:
Kiwi said:

You're kidding right? Without Johns, NSW wouldn't have come close to winning last night. Johns made 2 line breaks, 2 try assists, 2 line break assists, scored a try, kicked 4 goals, and kicks a handy field goal. His passing game was brilliant, and his defence was superb. Johns should have got MOM, with all due respect to Bailey who worked his ass off. But Johns was the key, he controlled the team, and he finally dominated an origin game!

I think not. he only threatened the line when QLD were out on their feet in the last 20 minutes and the other players looked far more dangerous than he did. His goal kicking who cares, Devere or Fitzgibbon could have done it just as well, 4 from 4 almost all in front. What are line break assists? What if you pass the ball to someone who makes a break you get credit now, what a joke. His two try assists, who did all the work? All Joey did was pass them the ball, any halfback could've made those passes, they were just simple passes, Mini and Wing are the ones who did the damage, broke the line and scored. Thats like giving Buderus credit for Joey's try when it was Joey who ran at the hole and scored it and all Buderus had to do was pass it to him.

TheROCK

Juniors
Kiwi said:
TheROCK said:
Kiwi said:

I think not. he only threatened the line when QLD were out on their feet in the last 20 minutes and the other players looked far more dangerous than he did. His goal kicking who cares, Devere or Fitzgibbon could have done it just as well, 4 from 4 almost all in front. What are line break assists? What if you pass the ball to someone who makes a break you get credit now, what a joke. His two try assists, who did all the work? All Joey did was pass them the ball, any halfback could've made those passes, they were just simple passes, Mini and Wing are the ones who did the damage, broke the line and scored. Thats like giving Buderus credit for Joey's try when it was Joey who ran at the hole and scored it and all Buderus had to do was pass it to him.

Firstly, putting a player through a gap is a line break assists, if the player does it himself, it's not classed as one. Now, it's called 'line break 'assist', it's not taking credit at all. You need to have vision and co-ordination to do that, it's not simply passing the ball to someone, then they make the break.

Secondly, Johns set up both Minicheillo's tries, with a dummy, a step, Johns saw the gap, saw that Ikin was a liability in defence, and gave it to Minicheillo. It's a try assist, he assisted in that try.

Johns was the key to the Blues success last night, anyone can tell you that.

Green Eye

Juniors
I disagree kiwi... Johns passes might have looked simple but he found the right man to take the ball in. He brought in the defenders every time just like wally used to. To say mini did all the work, well I don't agree. He was in an open space and practically walked thru. Not taking anything away from the bloke but without some Johns magic those tries wouldn't have happened.

I am not a fan of Johns but I must give him respect after last nights performance. He played his ass off and he deserves the credit. Some of the tackles he made were unbelievable on guys twice his size. He lead the team brilliantly and got them pumped for the full 80 minutes.

On a different point... mini scared the shit outta me with the high ball in the first 15 mins. I was bagging him big time. Poor bloke must have been nervous as all hell but he kicked in when he relaxed and did the team proud.

TheROCK

Juniors
Yeah, Minicheillo got the hang of it evetually. Probably because of Ikin's shocking kicks a few times.

Kiwi

First Grade
Ok I am gonna watch the game again before the week is out because, if memory serves me correctly, Mini stepped back inside to beat Ikin and score his first try, and it wasn't like a huge cut out pass was on the cards to by pass Mini now was it? Wings try was all Wing, HE carved them up not Johns, Wing beat 4 guys on the way to the line, how is Johns giving him the ball a try assist?

I'm a very anti Johns person, but i'll admit when he has had a blinder, like he did in the second half of the knights v broncos game he tore us apart, but last night he was not as good as the guys I mentioned.

Green Eye

Juniors
Agreed. Wing scored that try by himself... Did anyone say it was from Johns? Not that I can see.... Watch the game again... he tore it up...