What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How good was Geoff Selby

Frank Facer

First Grade
In 1986 we (St George) signed a young lock named Geoff Selby from Illawarra. He died aged 22 in a car accident in Feb of 1989, 2 other Saints players were also injured in the accident. I remember there being some pretty big wraps on him, but my memories of him are pretty vague. For those who do remember him, how good was he? Do you think he was destined for higher honors? Was he a massive lose on the field?

Gareth67

First Grade
In 1986 we (St George) signed a young lock named Geoff Selby from Illawarra. He died aged 22 in a car accident in Feb of 1989, 2 other Saints players were also injured in the accident. I remember there being some pretty big wraps on him, but my memories of him are pretty vague. For those who do remember him, how good was he? Do you think he was destined for higher honors? Was he a massive lose on the field?

Yes I remember him also Frank , I recall the day when I heard on the radio that he had died in a car accident - just could not believe it , as he had everything to look forward to in life , a great shame . He was a big built young bloke and with the likes of the great Johnny Raper as a mentor his future in the game looked very bright indeed .

From memory he had only recently forced his way into the top grade , but quickly established himself as a player of great promise. He went far too young , it was a sad day for all .

Hard Yards

Juniors
One of the most astute and unarguably the most successful administrator of the time was 'Bullfrog" Peter Moore from Canterbury, he made a strong bid to bring Geoff to the bulldogs, earmarking him as an exceptional young talent, and according to reports at the time by Greg Hartley ( who was a strong supporter of Canterbury) Geoff had agreed to leave the dragons and move to the dogs. Hartley went as far as saying he was shaking with excitement at hearing the news. It never eventuated and he remained at the red V. He was very skilled, athletic and was made of the "right stuff". RIP Geoff Selby.

mbk78

Juniors
Geoff was a member of Saints’ Panasonic Cup winning side of the late 80’s. The cup win was the only ray of sunshine for us in the latter part of the decade. I have two bottles of port that celebrate the win and has the team list on each bottle (including Geoff). Selby was set for a very bright future at the Dragons and they could have gradually built a very good team around him.

jak

Bench
a brad clyde type.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Yes I remember him also Frank , I recall the day when I heard on the radio that he had died in a car accident - just could not believe it , as he had everything to look forward to in life , a great shame . He was a big built young bloke and with the likes of the great Johnny Raper as a mentor his future in the game looked very bright indeed .

From memory he had only recently forced his way into the top grade , but quickly established himself as a player of great promise. He went far too young , it was a sad day for all .
He was playing for us in 86 and played most games. He then played 4 games in 87 and then 17 in 88. I was watching an old Saints vs Wests game from 86 last night and the commentator said that Selby had signed with an English club for 87. That would explain why he only played 4 games that year. For those who don't remember. Players could play in England and then come back to Australia for the back half of the comp.

Sowwow

Juniors
Scott Gourley like

avocado

Juniors
Hit the defensive line like a truck. Strong and fast and fearless and ran a great line.

Signature look was the white headband.
I remember a Steelers Parra game (back when Parra were the best)

Sterlo constantly screaming “watch the headband watch the headband!”

Parra won easily but Selby made countless line breaks that day even though they tried their best to contain him.

An amazing talent.

Frank Facer

First Grade
This is the only game I could find on Youtube, featuring Selby. It was from 1986. He hit hard in defence and ran hard too. He was running off Craig Young a lot. He made at least one break in the game.

I also found footage of myself and my late mate. At 39.42 minute mark and other times in the video I was the one with the massive horizontal stripped flag. My mate had the vertical stripped flag. We both had Westmont Jerseys direct from Westmont.