What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How is the Australian side looking now?

Leagueguy

Juniors
I think the next 2 weeks will be vital in deciding the makeup of the Australian team. A few spots are far from decided and may depend on which team wins it. I'll be interested to here what other people think about it now though.

Fullback: I think Hunt will get picked here because he's tough, is the incumbant and works well with Lockyer. If Inglis was currently playing fullback maybe it would be different. But no matter what occurs next week I think Hunt will hold his spot.

Wing/Centre - Gasnier is an auto selection, but the remaining 3 spots are all contentious and all the players competing for them can play wing or centre. I think the current pecking order for those spots goes like this: 1.Inglis 2. Hodges 3. King 4. Cooper 5. Tate. Really though I have no idea. These spots will almost certainly be decided on who gets to and wins the grand final.

Halves - Lockyer of course and I can't see Thurston not being halfback even if Cronk wins the Churchill medal.

Props - Petero and Bailey for sure.

Hooker - Smith obviously

Second Row - Hindmarsh and Mason will no doubt be there.

Lock - Tonie Caroll. He is probalby the best defender in the game right now and he has cut loose in attack again. He's my surpise selection ahead of Ryan and Johnson. Probably my Bronco bias coming in but the more I think about it the more sense it makes to me.

Bench:
Utility - Hornby/Berrigan - this one really depends on how well their teams go. Maybe Cronk could get a run too although I doubt it.
As for the rest of forwards on the bench I'd say O'mealy is pretty well assured of a spot. Andrew Ryan, Crocker, Johnson, Thaiday, O'Donnell and maybe someone like Creagh will fight out the other spots.

Juniors
greg inglis might not be playing full back atm, but dont be suprised if he is thrown the number 1 jersey come test time

Leagueguy

Juniors
greg inglis might not be playing full back atm, but dont be suprised if he is thrown the number 1 jersey come test time

Yeah its possible. If Brisbane get knocked out next week it would be more likely. If not I think he'll play on the wing or centre.

Now Australia hs stopped Hunt playing for NZ why would they pick him again?

Becasuse he's awesome.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
:arrow: Int'l forum ;-)

IMO:
Hunt, Tate, Gasnier, Cooper, Inglis, Lockyer, Thurston or Cronk, Civ/Ogre, Smith, Luke Bailey, Mason, Hindy, Carroll.

Bench of Hornby, Berrigan, Hodges and Ryan

Red Bear

Referee
Timmah said:

IMO:
Hunt, Tate, Gasnier, Cooper, Inglis, Lockyer, Thurston or Cronk, Civ/Ogre, Smith, Luke Bailey, Mason, Hindy, Carroll.

Bench is a bit light

Timmah

Staff member
Scrap Hodges, the loser on the prop spot out of Civ and Ogre can take his spot.

STSAE

Juniors
Brett Funch for 1/2.

Sticky stucky with him all year, origin hero and all that jazz.

:thumb :D :D

Big Pete

Referee
It'll prolly be

Hunt, King, Gasnier, Cooper, Grothe, Lockyer, Thurston, Civoniceiva, Smith, Price, Hindmarsh, Mason, Ryan.

Int: Berrigan, Bailey, Ryles, Menzies.

Hodges unlucky to miss out because Stuart has a tiff with him. Ingliss unlucky to miss out because I think Stuart will stick with the fullback he had for the Ashes match. I expect Ingliss to tour though.

salivor

First Grade
Inglis is still under an injury cloud but he's a big contender for the fullback position. I think Hunt will probably just pip him being the incumbent as well as his combination with Lockyer.

My side would be:
Hunt/Inglis, King, Hodges, Gasnier, Cooper, Lockyer, Thurston, Bailey, Smith, Civoniceva, Mason, Hindmarsh, Carroll, int: O'Meley, O'Donnell, Creagh, Berrigan/Hornby.

It's always much harder to pick these end of season sides as whoever wins the comp will get a big push for more players in the squad.

Timmah

Staff member
roosterbooster1 said:
Price has to be one of the starting props

With Bailey, Civ and O'Meley all in scintilating form, there might just not be room. If anything have him off the bench, in my lineup replace Berrigan with him.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Big Pete said:
It'll prolly be

Hunt, King, Gasnier, Cooper, Grothe, Lockyer, Thurston, Civoniceiva, Smith, Price, Hindmarsh, Mason, Ryan.

Int: Berrigan, Bailey, Ryles, Menzies.

No way will Berrigan be in a Stuart team.
Bailey will statr as one of the props.

Hodges unlucky to miss out because Stuart has a tiff with him. Ingliss unlucky to miss out because I think Stuart will stick with the fullback he had for the Ashes match. I expect Ingliss to tour though.

Tour where ?

Australia are only travelling over the tasman for one tri-natins game.

PARANoIR

Bench
Timmah said:

IMO:

That's quite possibily the worst bench I've ever seen.

Who will you be using as your first replacement prop, Hornby or Berrigan?