What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How long does it take to increase the vertical jump?

markskarl

Juniors
I'm just wondering. My current vertical is like 17 - 18 inches, which is not that good, but I'm not very thin but I am going to the gym every day and I practice basketball and I go jogging, so it's not long before I'll be fit and thin. I was wondering, how long would you think it would take to increase my vertical significantly? I'm doing everything I can in the gym to strengthen my legs.
And one more thing... putting ankle weights on my feet and jump, is that good for increasing vertical?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I cant tell how long it will take, but when I played basketball, one exercise our physio had me doing was a type of squat.

Squat down and touch to ground with you bum just above the ground, start off as low to the ground as you can get, then leap up as high as you can with your hands reaching as high as you can.

3 sets of about 15 would generally destroy me but it did work and I as able to jump higher and have a bit more hang time, also did more for my fitness and jump shots

Valderon

Juniors
I'm just wondering. My current vertical is like 17 - 18 inches, which is not that good, but I'm not very thin but I am going to the gym every day and I practice basketball and I go jogging, so it's not long before I'll be fit and thin. I was wondering, how long would you think it would take to increase my vertical significantly? I'm doing everything I can in the gym to strengthen my legs.
And one more thing... putting ankle weights on my feet and jump, is that good for increasing vertical?

Your weight, while it will influence you in some manner, generally won't dictate the quality of your vertical jump performance. While I continue to encourage you to become fitter through your endurance and sporting activities; if you want to focus specifically on your vertical jump improvements, you'll need to add a few different training practices.

Currently, you mentioned you are in the Gym to strengthen your legs. This is a good move and I hope you continue this; however, are you able to list what exact exercises you are performing, with how many repetitions per set?

While adding strength via strength training will assist your vertical jump (as you'll be-able to produce more force); the key addition that you should make to your whole program, are power exercises , often involving lower limb plyometrics (box jumps, depth jumps, bounding, and so forth); weightlifting (clean, jerk, snatch); or unloaded and loaded squat jumps.

The ability to produce force at greater velocities (increases in power); will lead to a much greater vertical jump improvement, and in a much quicker time period as well. Tonnes of biomechanical principles behind these issues to validate and govern your improvements; though I wont delve into those (far too technical for the given question).

Good luck.

Valderon

Juniors
Would the same principles apply for trying to increase speed as vertical jump

Very much so .... plyometric bounding is a great exercise which sprinters use ... a method of maximising propulsion, and minimising ground contact -- power based / explosive exercises can certainly help with acceleration in sprinting; and beyond that, technique is no doubt a major factor to consider to optimise efficiency (useful energy expenditure), hopefully allowing you to sustain your sprint for longer. After all, sprinters who win their races are often those who fatigue the least (thus delay speed reduction the longest).