What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How Long Till Fawad Ahmed Gets a Baggy Green?

How Long Till Fawad Ahmed Gets a Baggy Green?

• Will be flown in as cover for the 2nd Test in India

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Some time during the back to back Ashes Tests Series

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • From 2014 Onwards

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

Earl

Coach
Now has 4 wickets at Sheild Level this season.

Will surely come under consideration soon.....

TheParraboy

Staff member
I reckon Stephen okeefe has FINALLY put his hand up, has taken no wickets in the current sheild game vs redbacks in a game NSW are getting thumped at

jargan83

Coach
Is he bowling well in the nets?

How long until Warnie spruiks his selection in the media?

HevyDevy

Coach
I reckon we're rapidly approaching a unique situation in Australian cricket whereby every single player playing domestic cricket for any state has played for at least one of the three Australian sides...

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
He's just been added to Australia A squad in pommie land and he's probably on a plane right now

How ironic.

Patorick

Staff member
http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/current/story/605811.html

Wickets can put Ahmed on Ashes tour

Daniel Brettig

February 20, 2013

Victoria 9 for 536 declared and 2 for 36 beat Queensland 322 and 249 (Ahmed 5-83) by 8 wickets.

Every wicket Fawad Ahmed takes for Victoria will enhance his chances of earning Australian citizenship in time for this year's Ashes tour of England, with Cricket Australia believed to be continuing talks about expediting his collection of a passport.

Victoria's eight-wicket win over Queensland at the MCG to go to the top of the Sheffield Shield table could not have been achieved without Ahmed, who twirled past five Bulls batsmen in a display that left both teammates and opponents in little doubt he was ready for international duty.

"When he's qualified, he'll play for Australia pretty quickly, I'd imagine," said Victoria's captain Cameron White. "It's pretty simple. He's one of the better leg-spinners - if not the best - I've seen in first class cricket outside [Stuart] MacGill and [Shane] Warne."

Queensland's captain James Hopes reckoned Ahmed "the best wrist spinner in the competition" after one Shield appearance. "He's a match-winner, especially on pitches that turn," Hopes said. "He's got great control and he's got a good wrong 'un. He would hold his own at the top level, comfortably."

It was the latest chapter in Ahmed's wondrous story, which began with his departure from Pakistan in 2010 and has gathered momentum each time he has delivered his leg breaks and googlies with exceptional control, patience and considerable spin.

Under ICC regulations, Ahmed will be eligible to play for Australia after August 18 as he will have spent enough time in the country by then, or alternatively from the moment he receives his passport. CA were instrumental in advocating Ahmed's official recognition as a resident late last year, and it is understood those negotiations have continued around his admission to citizenship.

A clause exists within Australian law for exceptional athletes to have their cases brought forward, something seen in recent years in a number of Olympic sports as new immigrants have soon found themselves representing Australia. Ahmed's eligibility for this would likely hinge on his readiness to play Tests, and so more performances like this one will greatly enhance his case.

Earl

Coach
I thought he had already qualified to play for Australia?

Jokes aside, he has had a promising start to his career with the Vics. I suppose it just shows the poor state of Australian cricket that after 1 shield game he is seriously under consideration.

Timbo

Staff member
Isn't he still a Pakistani citizen here on a refugee visa?

He had to get special permission from CA to play in the BBL as a local player.

undertaker

Coach
http://au.sports.yahoo.com/cricket/...ning-around-julia-gillards-election-campaign/

With Julia Gillard's election campaign proving to be as lifeless as Australia's bowling attack, the key to winning a few extra votes may lie in the unlikely hands of a cricketer from Melbourne.

Fawad Ahmed is a 33-year-old spin bowler who has just been handed a full-time playing contract with Victoria.

Born and raised in Pakistan, Ahmed was forced to emigrate to Australia in 2010 when religious fundamentalists threatened him for promoting Western culture by playing and coaching cricket.

But with his life and career back on a smooth path, Ahmed is looming as the solution to Australia's spin bowling woes.

After taking seven wickets on his debut for Victoria last week, the captains of both sides were in no doubt that Ahmed was up to the rigours of international cricket.

The only problem is the softly-spoken leggie is not yet eligible to play for his adopted country.

Under International Cricket Council rules, Ahmed will be eligible to play for Australia on August 18 as he will have spent enough time in the country by then.

Alternatively - and this is where Gillard comes in - Ahmed can be selected as soon as he is given his Australian passport.

Much like skilled labourers and Defence Force recruits, exceptional athletes like Ahmed can have their applications for citizenship brought forward under a clause in the Australian Citizenship Act.

Cricket Australia was instrumental in having Ahmed's official residency approved late last year and they are reportedly lobbying the government again in an attempt to expedite his new passport.

And with Australia's spinners floundering in India and the Ashes getting underway on July 10, what better way for Gillard to win some extra votes than to fast-track the progression of our newest cricket star?

WHAT THEY SAY

"The only thing is the citizenship, the passport. I'm pretty hopeful. There must be some way to get the passport and maybe as soon as (possible) I can be eligible to play for Australia."

- Fawad Ahmed

"When he's qualified, he'll play for Australia pretty quickly, I'd imagine. It's pretty simple. He's one of the better leg-spinners - if not the best - I've seen in first class cricket outside (Stuart) MacGill and (Shane) Warne."

- Victorian captain Cameron White

"He's a match-winner, especially on pitches that turn. He's got great control and he's got a good wrong 'un. He would hold his own at the top level, comfortably."

- Queensland captain James Hopes